Chunkers

May 31, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunkers
Swelling after TPLO?

Hi, first post here~

My baby just had a TPLO done 4 days ago due to a torn CCL. He has been walking on that leg, bathroom schedule hasn't changed (pooped right after coming home), eating habits also have not changed (eating regularly...and happily). He has had swelling the size of a golf ball on his ankle since the day we picked him up from the hospital (3 days ago), which hasn't gone down in size at all. today, we just noticed a few drops of clear fluid draining from his bottom stitch.

IMG_4049.JPG

He hasn't licked his incision site/sutures. He is still walking on that leg.

For those who has had a TPLO done before, is this amount of swelling/drainage normal at 4 days post-op? Should I be concerned with potential infection or implant failure at this point? (been reading about MRSA post-TPLO horror stories online for the past half an hour.)

Any help is appreciated!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The swelling can be normal for a few days, but the redness concerns me. Check the site for a fever, it could be getting infected. I would call your vet and maybe even send him a pic to look at.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Re: Swelling after TPLO?

My dog had that same surgery and hers never looked that bad. Draining from the sutures is not normal. I'd call the surgeon asap. Not trying to scare you, but that just doesn't look normal at all to me. I work in a clinic.
Delilah's leg was somewhat swollen but not bad. It was more bruised. And the swelling was higher up than on your pup.

Have you been icing his leg? Also what do you mean by implant?

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah

My dog had the ACL surgery, not the CCL. I didn't know about CCL just had to Google it lol.

My girl has terrible back legs. Luxating patella in both and arthritis. She's 6 this year.

OP
C

Chunkers

May 31, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunkers
sent our vet a pic already, probably won't be getting a reply till tomorrow though

OP
C

Chunkers

May 31, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunkers

no, haven't been icing it because he won't tolerate it (if you put ice on his leg, he just keeps on sniffing the ice bag and trying to bite it...which is normal behavior for him w/ anything you try to put on his body)

yeah, i'm not liking the drainage from the suture either. sent an email to the PA on his surgeon's service, expect to hear a reply tomorrow.

CCL is just another name for ACL, apparently in people medicine it's ACL, in veterinary medicine it's CCL, both mean the ligament restricting anterior movement.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah

Thanks for clarifying. This one website was saying they were different.

The icing is really very important. It sucks but you have to do it. I wrapped a pack in a towel and held it on Delilah.

Are you massaging the leg? It helps to move the fluid and help the muscles.

OP
C

Chunkers

May 31, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunkers

haven't tried messaging that leg. our surgeon's post-op instructions didn't say to message...plus it just looks really bruised, it'll probably be pretty painful for him if I try to message that leg.

will try icing his leg again, just hope it doesn't instigate chewing on that leg :(

oh, and by implant i meant the plate and screws, probably should have said hardware instead.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah

https://youtu.be/kdXRu0C6ejI

This is the range of motion exercise I did with Delilah. They explain this well in the video. This and the icing along with tissue massage are so important. Trying to find a massage video.

OP
C

Chunkers

May 31, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunkers

Thanks!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

no, haven't been icing it because he won't tolerate it (if you put ice on his leg, he just keeps on sniffing the ice bag and trying to bite it...which is normal behavior for him w/ anything you try to put on his body)

yeah, i'm not liking the drainage from the suture either. sent an email to the PA on his surgeon's service, expect to hear a reply tomorrow.

CCL is just another name for ACL, apparently in people medicine it's ACL, in veterinary medicine it's CCL, both mean the ligament restricting anterior movement.

you should be icing 20 on 20 off..... please let us know what the vet says. Swelling is expected, but as others stated the redness is more concerning

OP
C

Chunkers

May 31, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunkers
update:

the PA and surgeon both took a look at the pics we emailed, and both said the amount of swelling and bruising look about normal for the post-op length. yay :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
update:

the PA and surgeon both took a look at the pics we emailed, and both said the amount of swelling and bruising look about normal for the post-op length. yay :)

Good to hear!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.