Does this look like food allergies or environmental allegies?

arodriguez02

Dec 9, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
ZOEY
Zoey gets these raised bumps on her skin like hives and scratches herself and eventually her hair will fall out and that area is left scabby and crusty. These are mostly located on her sides and back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 160

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Those dont look like an allergic reaction I'd get the vet involved. Could be bites or mange.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The hives could be from either one. I would just try a food change to see if it helps. The last month Henri has had hives so we just switched his food to see if he clears up. But I know the allergens outside have been bad this year too.

OP
A

arodriguez02

Dec 9, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
ZOEY
I don't notice any fleas on her, any tips on checking for fleas? They are hard to spot due to her brindle coloring.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Check for fleas in armpits,on the belly, between the legs,around the vulva. You will either see the fleas, or the flea dirt.@arodriguez02

OP
A

arodriguez02

Dec 9, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
ZOEY
I just talked to out vet and they suggested using a white sock and rub all around her and check for flea dirt. As far as food goes, what are your guys feeding? I had Zoey on Canidae grain free bison, then salmon. Now she is on natures domain grain free salmon ( Costco brand )

OP
A

arodriguez02

Dec 9, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
ZOEY
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] I just checked those areas and didn't notice any fleas or flea dirt.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would have the vet check it out.... could be a staph infection which is from a weaken immune system.. If that is what it is, add some greek yogurt to her food and maybe go back to the Candaie

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thing is, it could be anything. Food and environmental allergies look the same. Redness, paw licking, itching, things of that sort.

What you're showing doesn't really look like an allergy, and one of mine had what appears to be the same thing. With him it was a secondary infection caused by allergies and he needed three weeks of antibiotics to clear it up.
But many skin conditions look like this. There's really no way to tell just by looking.

Get her to a vet.. a good vet that understand bulldogs and their skins issues.

OP
A

arodriguez02

Dec 9, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
ZOEY
*Update* I took Zoey to the vet and she did a skin scraping which was negative and said no fleas. She said it is allergy related. I'm still puzzled as to what is causing her alergies. She is thinking environmental.

Most Reactions