SalkaSunIceland

May 27, 2015
Country
Iceland
Bulldog(s) Names
Salka
Hi everybody :)

I noticed a couple of days ago that my girl Salka had a red face (still has). She threw up a couple of times and had very loose stooles a week ago so we went to the vets. She got a worm tablet because they thought it might be that buuuuut I think it might be some kind of allergy.
Red face, loose stooles, throwing up and runny eyes are all signs of allergy right?
When we got her she was being fed Pro Pac but I just changed to Acana today (I saw it was highly recommended here on EBN).

When should she start getting better IF it's food allergy? Is there Anything else I can do for her?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It usually takes about 3 to 6 weeks to see any improvement on the food and yes Acana is top notch stuff. I don't know if you can get a hold of Benadryl over there but it can really help her out with the allergies.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How much are you feeding her at each meal? At 15 weeks, it could be too much food

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Fifteen weeks is usually too early to exhibit allergies (according to my vet). If she tested negative for parasites, I think I would just wait and see how she adjusts to the new food. I added a probiotic to Winnie's food when she was about that age and it helped with loose stools. Sometimes when puppies are excited and active, their skin will get pinker--which shows up a lot more on a white face. She sure is adorable!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Many times allergies seem to show by dogs licking their front paws excessively. If she's doing that and/or trying to paw or scratch her face against things she is probably itchy... but she's still so young, all mine are sensitive to different things, but it only started to show up after 2-3 years of age.

Sometimes they do throw up for no reason really, it can be from empty stomach sometimes. I try to give mine snacks between their meals cos two of them can't handle an empty tummy well. Like Christine said, if fed to much food their poop tends to be loose, and if to little the poop gets really hard.

It can be a coincident that this all appears at the same time... :unsure: If the vet didn't have any concerns and she's not acting strange I'd wait to see how she's doing on the new food:) Best is to do the switch gradually (unless the old food is making her ill) otherwise the new food can upset her tummy even though it's a great brand.

Cuddles to Salka Sol<3

OP
S

SalkaSunIceland

May 27, 2015
Country
Iceland
Bulldog(s) Names
Salka
Thank you guys for the replies.

I forgot to mention that she is 11 weeks old. The thing is she is the first bulldog my vet has ever treated. We only have around 30-40 bulldogs here in Iceland and most vets do not know about all these little quirks and allergies.

She is doing so much better today. Her stooles are looking much better, no tummy rumbling and no red face.
Hope it was just me being a paranoid bully mama :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.