Interesting news from my vet regarding tear stains...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
While Wally was at the vets today I was discussing w/her his deep tear stains which I'm going to have to start taking care of more diligently now that he had his surgery. She told me that there is a study out of UT vet school that has confirmed using the probiotic Prostora has reduced tear staining in dogs. She said that you only give them one dose a day instead of the packaging label… I guess it's labeled for dogs having digestive issues. Since it's a probiotic it also helps them w/their natural flora. Curious to know if anyone has tried this, and what do you guys think?!!

She told me she would send me the research results, but she gave me a link to the product… Interesting!!!
Amazon.com : Iams Veterinary Formula Canine Prostora Max 15/pk : Pet Care Products : Pet Supplies

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Never heard this before. Would be really interested if the product works. Harvey tears and it becomes raw and red at times. He will then scratch.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Never heard this before. Would be really interested if the product works. Harvey tears and it becomes raw and red at times. He will then scratch.

I googled some reviews… looks like it worked for some, and not others. I guess it's just like everything else under the sun :blink:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm not familiar with this product, but I do give my guys plain yogurt everyday and apple cider vinegar, both which boost the immune system, and my guys don't have any tear stain problems.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
never heard of it.... hope it works for mr Wally!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I haven't heard of this either. It's worth a try though, especially since your vet mentioned it to you. But yes, can be hit or miss like lots of things. Speaking of tear stains, Tate has had them since he was 1yo maybe...very deep as well. At last week's check up the vet said he may have entropian causing the tears to not drain well, contributing to the tear stains and consequently a yeasty face. He's on ketoconazole oral right now for a yeast infection. Anyways, sorry to digress but I am willing to try probiotics for him if it may help.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I haven't heard of this either. It's worth a try though, especially since your vet mentioned it to you. But yes, can be hit or miss like lots of things. Speaking of tear stains, Tate has had them since he was 1yo maybe...very deep as well. At last week's check up the vet said he may have entropian causing the tears to not drain well, contributing to the tear stains and consequently a yeasty face. He's on ketoconazole oral right now for a yeast infection. Anyways, sorry to digress but I am willing to try probiotics for him if it may help.

Ugh… that is what Winston had. The vet seems to think that Walter's distichia is what was contributing to his constant eye weeping (which makes sense) but she DID mention that most bullies eyes are weepy. I'm so OVER the eye issues… :stinkeye: I will get this and see if it works, our poor boys. I hope that Tate feels better soon…

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Who paid for the study....Iams??? I'm all for probiotics, but Prostora is probably not the only probiotic that works...My boys eat fresh, not canned, sauerkraut every day...here's their faces... DSC_0147.jpgmy Mr Tongue and Mr Toofie...

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] - Next time you see the vet, can you ask what the difference between Prostora and a live culture in something like yogurt would be? I'm very curious.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
...My boys eat fresh, not canned, sauerkraut every day...
I didn't know sauerkraut was good for dogs! Is fresh sauerkraut the kind you ferment yourself? How much do you give them per day?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I would think "natural" probiotics would be just as good, if not better, than a pharmaceutical product. But maybe this Prostora is more concentrated in their probiotics and you don't need to give as much (?)

I had no idea that sauerkraut was good for our bulldogs, [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]. I know it's great for humans but yes, your kids look great! :)
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION], I'm so done with the eye issues too. I do not want Tate to get surgery for all the obvious reasons so I'm hoping to get the tearing under control too. The vet did say it's more of a cosmetic issue in his case but she also rx'd him some eye ointment antibiotics b/c they were a little red and irritated looking.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
My girls have tear stains and to be honest it is my fault more than anything else. If I am vigilant about using the medicated noxema pads twice daily then the tear stains are gone. Ruby just loves to roll around in the dirt, she is such a little dirt digger and Amber has a black mask around her eyes so you cannot see her tear stains but they are there. Ruby's is mostly caused by rolling in the red dirt. Her whole face will be red and she is supposed to have a white face. No yeast but plenty of dirt; oh well what can I say. Love them to death but just like children they like to play in the dirt. lol

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree that probiotics help with tear stains but as far as using that product in particular.....? That kinda sounds like a sales pitch. There's tons of great probitic choices out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would think "natural" probiotics would be just as good, if not better, than a pharmaceutical product. But maybe this Prostora is more concentrated in their probiotics and you don't need to give as much (?)

I had no idea that sauerkraut was good for our bulldogs, @RiiSi. I know it's great for humans but yes, your kids look great! :)
@ddnene, I'm so done with the eye issues too. I do not want Tate to get surgery for all the obvious reasons so I'm hoping to get the tearing under control too. The vet did say it's more of a cosmetic issue in his case but she also rx'd him some eye ointment antibiotics b/c they were a little red and irritated looking.

Thank you. In my opinion natural and fresh are the best. I use pills as well, but I don't think they have much live probiotics in those dry white pills....

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@ddnene - Next time you see the vet, can you ask what the difference between Prostora and a live culture in something like yogurt would be? I'm very curious.

I will text her and ask her… YEAH I have her personal cell number, she is amazing!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online