Ate a wasp??

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
My husband went home on his lunch break to take Effie outside. He just called to tell me that she ate a wasp!! I am totally freaking out!! He said she must have swallowed it whole, because as soon as he saw her grab it, he ran up to her and opened her mouth to pull it out, but she had already swallowed it. He's been home for an hour now, and he's been checking her tongue, and looking for signs of swelling or allergic reaction. So far, nothing. I am hoping that maybe her drool saturated it and it didn't have a change to sting her before she swallowed it. But, I also worry it could have stung inside her throat or anywhere on the way down....ugh...she stresses me out.
Has anyone ever had this happen? Should we just keep looking for signs of swelling and/or difficulty breathing? We would definitely administer Benadryl and take her to the vet at that point. My husband said right now she is acting totally normal, and no signs of swelling. If she was going to react, how long would it normally take?
:help::please:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ok first of all calm down, this happens a lot unfortunately...

I would give her benadryl 1mg per pound, and keep an eye on her for swelling. I'm not positive on internal swelling w/a sting, but you may want to call the vets just to see what they say… I would assume large amounts of drooling or lethargy would be a sign that something is not right. Our Bella used to chase bees/wasps and she was stung in the face several times… we ended up rushing her to the vets because she had a reaction but sometimes bullies have zero reaction. It just depends on the dog…

Keep us posted…

Last edited by a moderator:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Agree, I would go ahead and give her a small dose of benadryl, and watch her. Usually the reaction is fairly quickly after the bite. You are correct in that the minute you notice any swelling, or any odd behavior, excessive drooling like Tracey said - head straight to the vet immediately. Right now, just keep a close eye on her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My husband went home on his lunch break to take Effie outside. He just called to tell me that she ate a wasp!! I am totally freaking out!! He said she must have swallowed it whole, because as soon as he saw her grab it, he ran up to her and opened her mouth to pull it out, but she had already swallowed it. He's been home for an hour now, and he's been checking her tongue, and looking for signs of swelling or allergic reaction. So far, nothing. I am hoping that maybe her drool saturated it and it didn't have a change to sting her before she swallowed it. But, I also worry it could have stung inside her throat or anywhere on the way down....ugh...she stresses me out.
Has anyone ever had this happen? Should we just keep looking for signs of swelling and/or difficulty breathing? We would definitely administer Benadryl and take her to the vet at that point. My husband said right now she is acting totally normal, and no signs of swelling. If she was going to react, how long would it normally take?
:help::please:

any update? Did you give her some benedryl as a precaution?

OP
betterxthanxnew

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, I just got home from work and she seems fine. She isn't drooling or breathing funny. Her tongue doesn't seem swollen. Her right lip seems slightly swollen and light pink. I went ahead and gave her 25mg of Benadryl (she's a puppy, and weighed 23 at her last vet appt). She's eating and drinking like normal, so for now I'm gonna keep an eye on her.
Thanks so much for your advice. Lord, this pup is gonna worry me to death!! :nervous::nervous:

OP
betterxthanxnew

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Also, she is running around and playing like her normal puppy self, not lethargic at all. It's been 3 hours since she ate it. I would think by now we would be seeing a much worse reaction if she was allergic? But I am wondering if it did sting her inside that lip since it's swollen just a tad. My husband can't even tell that it is. Maybe I'm just seeing things. But I feel better having given her the benadryl just in case...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Also, she is running around and playing like her normal puppy self, not lethargic at all. It's been 3 hours since she ate it. I would think by now we would be seeing a much worse reaction if she was allergic? But I am wondering if it did sting her inside that lip since it's swollen just a tad. My husband can't even tell that it is. Maybe I'm just seeing things. But I feel better having given her the benadryl just in case...

Just keep an eye on her, I'm sure that she's fine now that it's been several hours...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

good to hear there is no reaction... hope it stays that way!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chum peed in a yellow jacket nest last summer and got stung on his butt and by his eyes...he acted absolutely insane for about 5 minutes so it was very obvious they got him. After a panicked phone call to [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] and some Benadryl he was fine. The reaction was immediate...I'm so glad Effie is ok it's scary!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Martha chases bugs. Last year she chased a wasp, and it stung her. In a matter of 10 minutes, she was covered in hives, then her whole face swelled up. I gave her a prednisone and two benedryl. She had no breathing problem, but I believe she would have, if I didn't have the prednisone. I always keep some on hand,in case she gets stung again. It took a couple of hours for the face swelling to go down, and several days before the hives left. There wasn't a spot on her body without a hive. If they are allergic, it usually shows up pretty quickly I am thankful that [MENTION=14079]betterxthanxnew[/MENTION] that your baby was not allergic!

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
That is terrifying!!! I'm glad it worked out for you guys. These dogs! :scared:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You know, it just hit me that we are gluttons for punishment. Never a dull moment,that's for sure! :bulldog::master::jump:

OP
betterxthanxnew

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Never a dull moment, that's for sure! The light swelling in her lip is gone, it's just a little pinkish now. I'm sure it stung her, probably on the inside of her lip. Poor little girl. Other than that, she seems fine. She's not even acting as though it's bothering her. I am leaving to visit my family out of state tomorrow, and I'll be gone for 5 days. Lord, I hope my husband can handle her!! I sure am going to miss my little girl. And, I'm sure I'll be worried the entire time! LOL :faint:

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
My 4mo old pup was stung on the lip by a wasp and I immediately administered Benadryl just in case, held an ice pack where she was stung for 10min and watched her closely. Other than some swelling where she was stung she had no other complications. I worry too and am ready to head to the closest ER in needed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.