AWD GS

Apr 29, 2015
Philly
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Hey just had a general question. Does anyone elses bulldog constantly lick? either his/her paws/legs or blankets around the house? Our dog has been doing it more and more and i was looking for advice on things i could use to help make her stop licking. not sure if shes licking because she thinks her skin is dry but its not and she also licks the blankets on the couch. i notice it more and more mainly after shes done drinking water, she feel the need to lick herself all over. anyone else experience this or know of any at home remedies that i could apply to her skin to help her to stop?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hey just had a general question. Does anyone elses bulldog constantly lick? either his/her paws/legs or blankets around the house? Our dog has been doing it more and more and i was looking for advice on things i could use to help make her stop licking. not sure if shes licking because she thinks her skin is dry but its not and she also licks the blankets on the couch. i notice it more and more mainly after shes done drinking water, she feel the need to lick herself all over. anyone else experience this or know of any at home remedies that i could apply to her skin to help her to stop?

I did experience this with Tyson when he had bad allergies. He would lick his paws non-stop. Once we switched his food, he no longer did as much. He will still however, lick our bed (its an upholstered bed - he'll run his face down the side, then lick it) -- but not for long, just a few seconds. Also, with the blanket - is she licking it or sucking? Bullies love to suck on things, so this part could be perfectly normal. They will suck on toys or blankets, or their beds. With the paws, if its not allergies - you could try bitter apple.

OP
AWD GS

AWD GS

Apr 29, 2015
Philly
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
I did experience this with Tyson when he had bad allergies. He would lick his paws non-stop. Once we switched his food, he no longer did as much. He will still however, lick our bed (its an upholstered bed - he'll run his face down the side, then lick it) -- but not for long, just a few seconds. Also, with the blanket - is she licking it or sucking? Bullies love to suck on things, so this part could be perfectly normal. They will suck on toys or blankets, or their beds. With the paws, if its not allergies - you could try bitter apple.

just constant licking, no sucking. i dont want to try changing her food as she gets food for sensitive skin and stomach....now that i typed that, that could have something to do with it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
just constant licking, no sucking. i dont want to try changing her food as she gets food for sensitive skin and stomach....now that i typed that, that could have something to do with it.

What are you feeding her?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How old is Stella and what are you feeding?

OP
AWD GS

AWD GS

Apr 29, 2015
Philly
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
nutro natural choice for sensitive skin and stomach. shes 4, 5 in july

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi mike, I agree with Jessica, excessive licking is a sign of allergies and is usually food related. Dogs lick their paws because they are itchy. It is very common for EB's to be allergic or sensitive to chicken and grains. My guys are allergic to chicken, salmon, beef and grains. We are currently feeding them Fromms Lamb and Lentil with good results, but when they were on chicken, Blossom showed the most allergy symptoms, She had pink skin, pink warm ears, chin acne, goopy eyes, and she licked her paws excessively. Dozer reacts more to Beef, he was a mess, he had hives, goopy runny eyes and he licked his paws so bad that they were always wet and soggy and they actually changed to a reddish colour, and he shed like crazy. Once we switched the food all the symptoms stopped.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
nutro natural choice for sensitive skin and stomach. shes 4, 5 in july

OK -- probably allergies of some type... Nutro isn't horrible, but not great either. Look for a food that is high quality and grain free, and you might want to avoid chicken too. It can also be environmental.... give her Benedyl tablets up to 3x a day 1mg per pound.

Food ... a few that are used by members with good results are Fromm, Taste of the Wild, Orijen, Earthborn,

OP
AWD GS

AWD GS

Apr 29, 2015
Philly
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
thanks everyone! i just bought her new food over the weekend but i'll see if i can find a small bag of the food mentioned above and try to give that to her and see how she acts

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks everyone! i just bought her new food over the weekend but i'll see if i can find a small bag of the food mentioned above and try to give that to her and see how she acts

remember any food change should be done slowly over 10-14 days and then give each about a month to see results. Some will kick in quicker, but know it can take about a month to see any real results/changes

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
I switched taco to Fromms, pork and peas. I'm glad you asked this question. He will prop up his paws I the walls and bed and lick. I will try another flavor.

OP
AWD GS

AWD GS

Apr 29, 2015
Philly
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
yea it didnt dawn on me that the food could be part of the issue. i just went with the same food the previous owner was given her and i didnt want to switch her up if she liked it but if it may be the cause of the licking, i'll try another brand as well and slowly ween her off the old food

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
yea it didnt dawn on me that the food could be part of the issue. i just went with the same food the previous owner was given her and i didnt want to switch her up if she liked it but if it may be the cause of the licking, i'll try another brand as well and slowly ween her off the old food

My girl was a yeasty mess and i had her on Fromm Beef Friatta, switched to Pork and Peas and it all stopped--- it is a long road at times.... Banks was 5 or 6 when i finally got the right kibble

oldbaystyle

Feb 5, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Interesting. We had some of the same issues with Duchess. She went through a big allergy phase -- she currently eats Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit Limited Ingredient. It literally only has rabbit, peas, and tapioca. That seemed to cure all her allergy issues. Or so we have thought. She does get the occasional goopy eye or pink color, but nothing like before we switched (and also battled a case of mites).

But, she has always been a licker. She only really licks her paws after we go out and they get wet. She feels the need to clean them. But she licks everything else. Arms. Legs. Pillows. Blanked. Chair arms. Rugs. Never considered this behavior to be part of allergies... should we?

The wife looked it up and she found info saying it could be a form of Doggie OCD or comfort measures. Love to hear any other theories.

We tried apple bitters. But I swear she started to like the taste. They did seem to work for a little while though. Right now we just try and distract her best we can with activity or toy.

OP
AWD GS

AWD GS

Apr 29, 2015
Philly
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Interesting. We had some of the same issues with Duchess. She went through a big allergy phase -- she currently eats Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit Limited Ingredient. It literally only has rabbit, peas, and tapioca. That seemed to cure all her allergy issues. Or so we have thought. She does get the occasional goopy eye or pink color, but nothing like before we switched (and also battled a case of mites).

But, she has always been a licker. She only really licks her paws after we go out and they get wet. She feels the need to clean them. But she licks everything else. Arms. Legs. Pillows. Blanked. Chair arms. Rugs. Never considered this behavior to be part of allergies... should we?

The wife looked it up and she found info saying it could be a form of Doggie OCD or comfort measures. Love to hear any other theories.

We tried apple bitters. But I swear she started to like the taste. They did seem to work for a little while though. Right now we just try and distract her best we can with activity or toy.

yea Stella will lick anything and everything. If you have lotion on your legs, forget it, shes on it. get out of the shower? let me try to lick your legs before you dry off.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.