Thread: Atopica vs Apoquel?

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    daphnee
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Atopica vs Apoquel?

Found this about Apoquel.. a lengthy, "un-biased", technical article, but seems to be pretty informative

Should I Giving My Dog Apoquel To Stop Its Itching And Scratching ?

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member punky's Avatar
    Real Name
    gail
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
    Likes (Received)

my abbey is on apoquel 5.4 mil and it is amazing.. she acts like a whole different dog.. i can tell she feels better.. although, it isnt cheap either... i pay $100 dollars here where i live for 60 tablets.. she has to take 2 a day so that is only a one month supply.. i have been researching to find it cheaper but no luck yet.. i am hoping that she will be able to gradually go down to just 1 a day and then none.. HOPING anyway.. good luck..i havent tried atopica but i am very happy with how the apoquel has helped her..

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member punky's Avatar
    Real Name
    gail
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
    Likes (Received)

my abbey is on apoquel 5.4 mil and it is amazing.. she acts like a whole different dog.. i can tell she feels better.. although, it isn't cheap either... i pay $100 dollars here where i live for 60 tablets.. she has to take 2 a day so that is only a one month supply.. i have been researching to find it cheaper but no luck yet.. i am hoping that she will be able to gradually go down to just 1 a day and then none.. HOPING anyway.. good luck..i haven't tried atopica but i am very happy with how the apoquel has helped her..oh.. and my vet said it was safer then the steroids.. she hasn't had any issues from the pill at all.. i will also call it the miracle drug.. just wish it was cheaper..

4. Likes JennyBean liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I'm waiting patiently for our vet in Vermont to get this. We've had Truman on cyclosporine for three years but heard Apoquil is superior.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Maximus was on Atopica, and it did nothing for him. I have had to take Maximus to a Dermatologist who immediately put him on Apoquel and in 2-days I had a different dog. Without Apoquel Maximus will run around the house rubbing his face into the carpeting and on furniture. My dog can not be without Apoquel. It has been a wonder drug for him.

PS - Correct. Apoquel is not readily available to all Vets. It is a specialty drug, and only specialty Veterinary practices have the easiest time getting it. My regular Vet is on a list to get it, but he has
    not gotten it yet. That's why I had to be referred to a specialty Dermatology Veterinarian.

7. Likes JennyBean liked this post
    Real Name
    Jenny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Farley Foo (8 1/2 yrs old) RIP My precious FarlyFoo 7/24/2017
    Likes (Received)

Farley has been on Apoquel for about 2 1/2 weeks now. He started out with 1 pill am and pm for 4 days. It stopped the itch and face rubbing within the first 24 hrs. I was amazed. He is now taking 1 pill at night, advised by the dermatologist. We are waiting for his allergy tests results and his allergy drops to be ready. The plan is to use the Apoquel until the allergy drops start helping.

I am very pleased so far with the Apoquel. He hasn't had any diarrhea or vomiting. His attitude has changed and he is no longer being grumpy and uncomfortable. I think he is much happier now and he feels so much better.

I wish my local vet could carry it. She is still on waiting list.. That's why we were referred to dermatologist. It's about 80 dollars for me to get 4 week supply. Not to cheap, but it works for my boy.
    " Forever in our hearts Farley Foo. 7/24/2017"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads