Frank has oral papillomatosis

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Okay, wanted to update everyone about the skin tag on frank I posted about last week. As the days went on a discovered several more on him. Clusters of cauliflower like skin tag looking things. There were even some in his mouth which obviously alarmed me and led me to make a vet appointment. They came on so fast. I was thinking the worst... cancer, as everything I found on the evil Google machine told me that growths in the mouth could be cancer.

Luckily, they are just warts! They can be treated with antibiotics but the vet said they should clear up as he gets older. So we are choosing not to treat them as he's already been on so many antibiotics and his quality of life is fine so far. There may be a larger immune system that needs to be addressed but for now we are just going to wait and see if they clear up. Here is a great article about them. According to the article all dogs carry this but only some are affected by it?

Free Your Dogs From Warts or Papillomas

i just wanted to share the info I found... I will post pics of what franks look like later, he is napping at the moment :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OH NO.... puppy warts! :faint:

so did not look like one -- I never seen one that was white like that. hope they clear up quickly

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
The one i posted was red and semi-infected from him rubbing it while playing with his toys. It's now the color of his skin... Sigh!! It never ends with these guys. I just want frank to live a happy healthy life!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh wow… Thanks for the info, I hope they go away soon!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The one i posted was red and semi-infected from him rubbing it while playing with his toys. It's now the color of his skin... Sigh!! It never ends with these guys. I just want frank to live a happy healthy life!

Oh... sorry, mixed it up with another --

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh Wow, these guys are so sensitive to so many things, and a lot of them seem to have inactive or immature immune systems. I had never heard of puppies or dogs getting warts, is it similar to the HPV virus that humans can get? I know the article mentioned that humans cannot get this form of warts from their dog, but it says it can be passed to other dogs or cats. The article was very interesting, thanks for sharing, I also didn't realize that over vaccinating your dog can also be a cause of these warts. I hope Franks clear up soon, but the good thing is they don't hurt him or make him feel sick.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Wow, thanks for the info! Our Frank has gotten just a few intermittently over the years but not nearly as quick and as many as your Frank. Good to know what they are and how they can be treated. I wonder if they tend to show up more when a dog's immune system can't fight them off as effectively (such as if a dog is sick or has been on medications).

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you for the info, how very interesting. Good thing its nothing serious & Frank will be a-ok :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This is great news! Thank you for posting back. I hope they go away soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[QUOTE=Vikinggirl;593851... I also didn't realize that over vaccinating your dog can also be a cause of these warts.

Most likely because of the damaged immune response, over reacting and why,
it's important to be an advocate for your animals and resist the Vets that go
crazy w/ vaccinations. Stick with core vaccinations, be careful about combination
vaccines and consider titer testing to see if the pet really needs another booster!
Especially with sensitive breeds like these bulldogs.

Madie, sorry to hear this and thank you for education on it.
Sending you & sweet Frank a big hug & prayers he does outgrow this <3

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Vikinggirl;593851... I also didn't realize that over vaccinating your dog can also be a cause of these warts. Most likely because of the damaged immune response said:
i totally agree Carol, it makes sense that opportunistic infections or viruses would show up when the immune system is weakened. It's the same for us humans.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Okay, wanted to update everyone about the skin tag on frank I posted about last week. As the days went on a discovered several more on him. Clusters of cauliflower like skin tag looking things. There were even some in his mouth which obviously alarmed me and led me to make a vet appointment. They came on so fast. I was thinking the worst... cancer, as everything I found on the evil Google machine told me that growths in the mouth could be cancer.

Luckily, they are just warts! They can be treated with antibiotics but the vet said they should clear up as he gets older. So we are choosing not to treat them as he's already been on so many antibiotics and his quality of life is fine so far. There may be a larger immune system that needs to be addressed but for now we are just going to wait and see if they clear up. Here is a great article about them. According to the article all dogs carry this but only some are affected by it?

Free Your Dogs From Warts or Papillomas

i just wanted to share the info I found... I will post pics of what franks look like later, he is napping at the moment :)

Ruckus had puppy warts when he was little. I freaked and took him to the vet. Oddly, my vet said antibiotics wouldn't work and they just had to stay the course. She also said lots of puppies get them so it's not the end of the world...even though I thought it was. Luckily they were all inside Ruckus's mouth so you couldn't really see them unless you were looking.

I squeezed them -- it's kind of gross -- until you heard them crackle and break up -- at the advice of the vet and some veterinary articles. Some think that breaking them up releases the virus into the bloodstream so the infection can be fought off quicker. Ruckus didn't flinch, he seemed more bothered by my hand in his mouth than the actual squeezing. It does get a little bloody, so warning, but they dried up and fell off quickly after. I also bought Thuja extract and added it to his food for an immune system boost (hippy all natural remedy).

I tried to attach some pictures but Tapatalk isn't letting me :-(

Good luck! They look worse than they are.

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
thanks so much for the info [MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION], I had no idea I could break them up until now. I've actually took care to avoid them. he busted one open on his chin while playing and it has turned dark red and dried up. I may try it with the others but i suspect frank will not be happy with me squeezing in his mouth. I've been away since wednesday visiting family in michigan but I will still try to post some pics for those curious about what they look like.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Thanks for the info, never heard of those...Do you give him any supplements to enhance his immune system?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Glad to hear it's not serious:) it's easy to think the worst, I always do and then it's nothing:ashamed: Hope it clears up real soon<3

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.