URGENT!!! 8 week old English Bulldog bald spots

hneves

May 7, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I just got my pup and he has some dry bald spots. He does not itch them and only has a few.
Vet said it could have been his brothers and sisters playing with him but I don't think that's it. And the end of his ears are dry also. Any help?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    959.1 KB · Views: 214

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I just got my pup and he has some dry bald spots. He does not itch them and only has a few.
Vet said it could have been his brothers and sisters playing with him but I don't think that's it. And the end of his ears are dry also. Any help?

Those do not look like anything from playing that's for sure. I would get him to the vet for a skin scrape - could be mange or mites. Does he have them anywhere else? Red spots, that are irritated could be allergies, but this doesn't look red, so its questionable.

OP
H

hneves

May 7, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Those do not look like anything from playing that's for sure. I would get him to the vet for a skin scrape - could be mange or mites. Does he have them anywhere else? Red spots, that are irritated could be allergies, but this doesn't look red, so its questionable.

He has a few other small ones.. Top of his head and on his side but they are smaller. The only big one is the one attached in the photo.

I just attached a couple more pictures and also a picture of the tip of his ear

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    830.7 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    622.8 KB · Views: 206
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 198

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
He has a few other small ones.. Top of his head and on his side but they are smaller. The only big one is the one attached in the photo.

I just attached a couple more pictures and also a picture of the tip of his ear

I'm not a vet, but based on my own personal experiences, I believe that looks like a form of mange. Which he will need medicine for. Please get him to a vet - they will do a skin scrape to confirm.... but that is "not" from him simply playing. That is for sure. Tagging some members to chime in @2BullyMama @brutus77 [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]

OP
H

hneves

May 7, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I'm not a vet, but based on my own personal experiences, I believe that looks like a form of mange. Which he will need medicine for. Please get him to a vet - they will do a skin scrape to confirm.... but that is "not" from him simply playing. That is for sure.

Yeah I have an appointment on the 19 for his vacs. It's hard to get attended with a walk in.
Now do you think whatever he was in contagious to humans? And do you think I should bring him in asap or I can wait till his appointment?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yeah I have an appointment on the 19 for his vacs. It's hard to get attended with a walk in.
Now do you think whatever he was in contagious to humans? And do you think I should bring him in asap or I can wait till his appointment?

No, definitely nothing to worry about in humans. Its up to you on the vet visit, perhaps call and see if you can move up his appt. The sooner you get him on meds (if it is mange, or mites) the sooner he will heal up, and it will prevent more spreading. I'd also wash all his bedding, or toys - anything he has afterwards so that it doesn't get picked back up. Use hot hot water to sterilize.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'd take him in asap, like [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] said if it's mange the sooner they diagnose it the better. Those are not some kind of injuries.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I do not have too much experience with this but [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] should be able to because Wally gator had it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I do not have too much experience with this but @ddnene should be able to because Wally gator had it.

Yup, Tyson had it too when I first rescued him. Its best treated asap, bc it spreads, and its hard to get rid of. Poor Tyson has some spots that although healed never grew back fur because of it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

I'd take him in asap, like [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] said if it's mange the sooner they diagnose it the better. Those are not some kind of injuries.

Agreed, this is NOT normal for a pup, I would take them in right away, this could be mange, a skin dermititis, ringworm..... I would find out ASAP so you can get the pup the treatment it needs, 8 weeks is young to have something like this.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Wally had demodex mange, and we caught it in the early stages… you definitely should take him in ASAP. He needs a skin scrape to find out what it is and start treatment… the ONLY thing that could be contagious to humans is ringworm but based on your pictures it doesn't look like ringworm to me. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree -- vet ASAP too young for something like this and the sooner he is diagnosed and on meds the better for him

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Did you take your baby to vet? Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

hneves

May 7, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
No not yet unfortunately.. They offered a drop off. Meaning I would have to leave him there all day tomorrow. But I don't think that's a good idea because who knows how the treatment will be. I have an appointment on Tuesday. Although I did do A LOT of reading online. And from the looks of it, it is demodex mange. The symptoms match. When we first got him his immune system was kinda low. He had a runny nose, wasn't as active as a puppy should be. So we started feeding him a heathier food and just watching him more. Now he's better, nomore runny nose and he's way more active and playful. I don't know what the breeder was doing but this poor puppy did not get the treatment he needed.

With all that, I think he got demodex from his mother and due to his low immune system the mites took over. It's only in a localized area, it's not spreading that fast. So hopefully on Tuesday we can get him on some meds.

Really bumpy start on owning my first bulldog, but we love him and would never be able to return him to the breeder for a new puppy, even though the breeder offered that.

Mishell

Apr 6, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley
No not yet unfortunately.. They offered a drop off. Meaning I would have to leave him there all day tomorrow. But I don't think that's a good idea because who knows how the treatment will be. I have an appointment on Tuesday. Although I did do A LOT of reading online. And from the looks of it, it is demodex mange. The symptoms match. When we first got him his immune system was kinda low. He had a runny nose, wasn't as active as a puppy should be. So we started feeding him a heathier food and just watching him more. Now he's better, nomore runny nose and he's way more active and playful. I don't know what the breeder was doing but this poor puppy did not get the treatment he needed.

With all that, I think he got demodex from his mother and due to his low immune system the mites took over. It's only in a localized area, it's not spreading that fast. So hopefully on Tuesday we can get him on some meds.

Really bumpy start on owning my first bulldog, but we love him and would never be able to return him to the breeder for a new puppy, even though the breeder offered that.

I think duke is in the right hands now ,I agree what was the breeder doing, enjoy your new little bull kid ,

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.