URGENT!!! 8 week old English Bulldog bald spots

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No not yet unfortunately.. They offered a drop off. Meaning I would have to leave him there all day tomorrow. But I don't think that's a good idea because who knows how the treatment will be. I have an appointment on Tuesday. Although I did do A LOT of reading online. And from the looks of it, it is demodex mange. The symptoms match. When we first got him his immune system was kinda low. He had a runny nose, wasn't as active as a puppy should be. So we started feeding him a heathier food and just watching him more. Now he's better, nomore runny nose and he's way more active and playful. I don't know what the breeder was doing but this poor puppy did not get the treatment he needed.

With all that, I think he got demodex from his mother and due to his low immune system the mites took over. It's only in a localized area, it's not spreading that fast. So hopefully on Tuesday we can get him on some meds.

Really bumpy start on owning my first bulldog, but we love him and would never be able to return him to the breeder for a new puppy, even though the breeder offered that.

Great plan.... please keep us posted and hopefully he will get the right meds and be on the mend in no time

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
Good to see you're reading up on things like this. It is very good to educate yourself as much as possible. You never know when you're somewhere and out of reach of being able to look something up. Retaining all this information may come into hand. These little guys and girls make sure we as bulldog lover's we are always on our toes. Love them so much.

OP
H

hneves

May 7, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hey everyone!
Sorry it took me a while to get back to you guys. I went to the vet on tuesday and they did a skin scrapping and found nothing!
But they did a fecal test and found parasites (im not sure which kind) and they have him on Albon suspension for 7 days. So they are thinking that the intestinal parasite might be causing the bald spots.

Anyone know why he is having these bald spots since its not any kind of mange?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hey everyone!
Sorry it took me a while to get back to you guys. I went to the vet on tuesday and they did a skin scrapping and found nothing!
But they did a fecal test and found parasites (im not sure which kind) and they have him on Albon suspension for 7 days. So they are thinking that the intestinal parasite might be causing the bald spots.

Thanks for the update!
If the spots are not mange, then my next guess would be allergies - possibly from food. But before you change anything up on him, let him finish up his meds. Maybe he has some sort of salmonella? I've heard of that drug before, never used personally. The vet didn't give you any other answers or possibilities on the spots??

OP
H

hneves

May 7, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
No.. All they said was to finish up the meds that he is taking and then see what happens with his skin.
I was reading up on seasonal flank alopecia and it might be that.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey everyone!

too young for allergies and if it is not mange.... then it could be a result of the parasite. Can you look at the paper work or call them and ask what parasite it is? Albon seems to be used for bacteria infection like coccidia.... could that have been what the vet stated?

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Just be aware that a skin scrape is not always definitive. Mites can be VERY hard to see and if they don't go down deep enough with the skin scrape (enough to draw blood) they may get a false negative. Mites live deep in the skin and aren't always visible under a microscope. I'd still bet money on demodex and honestly I would get another opinion from a different vet. They don't seem too proactive :unsure:

Oh, and Albon is used to treat coccidia which usually causes diarrhea. It's not a bad thing to have that treated but I'd be skeptical of that being a cause of the bald spots.

OP
H

hneves

May 7, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hello everyone Im back once again :( Seems like Duke is having the same symptoms again with the bald spots! Idk if its a skin infection or what but I need some advice!
I read up on melatonin and that its very effective, but I need to know what it is before I find try to find some solutions.
Also read that it may be seasonal flank alopecia.

Trying to do a lot a research before I have to go to the vet, dont want him taking antibiotics if there is a natural solution.
Thanks

I attached two pictures one of the balding (in the picture it looks like they are really visible but when you're up close to Duke they are really hard to see) and the other... well its just a cute picture :)

IMG_1498.JPGIMG_1515.JPG and the other... well its just a cute picture :)

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Hello everyone Im back once again :( Seems like Duke is having the same symptoms again with the bald spots! Idk if its a skin infection or what but I need some advice!
I read up on melatonin and that its very effective, but I need to know what it is before I find try to find some solutions.
Also read that it may be seasonal flank alopecia.

Trying to do a lot a research before I have to go to the vet, dont want him taking antibiotics if there is a natural solution.
Thanks

I attached two pictures one of the balding (in the picture it looks like they are really visible but when you're up close to Duke they are really hard to see) and the other... well its just a cute picture :)

View attachment 89315View attachment 89316 and the other... well its just a cute picture :)

It's hard to say for sure from pictures, but it looks a lot like demodex to me. The vet also called it "puppy mange" and said it wasn't totally uncommon in puppies. The first scrapes turned up negative for Ruckus, but then the spots got huge and fast. Ivermectin made him really sick and I wasn't about to have him dipped. It took a few months to go away with every other day washing (just the spots not a total bath) and twice daily applications of Goodwinol. It took a long time for the hair to come back. I found some old pictures of it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437524664.897967.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437524693.530579.jpg

OP
H

hneves

May 7, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Did Ruckus only have a few spots? Duke has little spots all over and they're barely visible..

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola has some perfectly round bald spots, not blackened, but they are a result of a opportunistic staph infection. comes and goes...about 1x year I put her on antibiotics to nip it in the bud, but she usually has one circular area of hair loss at all times. They come about after her hair and skin kind of flake off, does not hurt or itch her though. She's on a low dose of anti-histamines and steroid everyday so her immune system is not 100%. Once she gets more than 5 at a time, I call in the 'script. I find that not every vet can diagnose it right away...our new vet here in boston knew it immediately.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
View attachment Lola Craft aug 29 sores.pdf
ok, these are detailed but once it goes bald and hairless, the body has fought back and won. these don't spread really, and are not infectious to humans unless their immune systems are also not up to par. The bald spots stick around for a while until the hair fully grows back, which it always does. This puzzled me for a long time, almost a year, but now I know when an outbreak starts. (staph infection, super mild, kind of annoying, antibiotics when it gets to be persistent)

OP
H

hneves

May 7, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Okay so I went to the vet and it is Demodex. I ordered his medicine, it's called Bravecto. Hopefully everything's turns out good. Thanks for your inputs.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay so I went to the vet and it is Demodex. I ordered his medicine, it's called Bravecto. Hopefully everything's turns out good. Thanks for your inputs.

Hoping for a quick recovery

Members online

No members online now.