Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 31

Thread: 8 week old English Bulldog bald spots

  1. #13
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: 8 week old English Bulldog bald spots

    Quote Originally Posted by hneves View Post
    I just got my pup and he has some dry bald spots. He does not itch them and only has a few.
    Vet said it could have been his brothers and sisters playing with him but I don't think that's it. And the end of his ears are dry also. Any help?
    Did you take your baby to vet? Any updates?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  2. #14
    Newbie
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    21
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: 8 week old English Bulldog bald spots

    No not yet unfortunately.. They offered a drop off. Meaning I would have to leave him there all day tomorrow. But I don't think that's a good idea because who knows how the treatment will be. I have an appointment on Tuesday. Although I did do A LOT of reading online. And from the looks of it, it is demodex mange. The symptoms match. When we first got him his immune system was kinda low. He had a runny nose, wasn't as active as a puppy should be. So we started feeding him a heathier food and just watching him more. Now he's better, nomore runny nose and he's way more active and playful. I don't know what the breeder was doing but this poor puppy did not get the treatment he needed.

    With all that, I think he got demodex from his mother and due to his low immune system the mites took over. It's only in a localized area, it's not spreading that fast. So hopefully on Tuesday we can get him on some meds.

    Really bumpy start on owning my first bulldog, but we love him and would never be able to return him to the breeder for a new puppy, even though the breeder offered that.

  3. Likes 2BullyMama, NewEnglandBully liked this post
  4. #15
    Potty Trainer Mishell's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    65
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley
    Likes (Received)
    19

    Default Re: 8 week old English Bulldog bald spots

    Quote Originally Posted by hneves View Post
    No not yet unfortunately.. They offered a drop off. Meaning I would have to leave him there all day tomorrow. But I don't think that's a good idea because who knows how the treatment will be. I have an appointment on Tuesday. Although I did do A LOT of reading online. And from the looks of it, it is demodex mange. The symptoms match. When we first got him his immune system was kinda low. He had a runny nose, wasn't as active as a puppy should be. So we started feeding him a heathier food and just watching him more. Now he's better, nomore runny nose and he's way more active and playful. I don't know what the breeder was doing but this poor puppy did not get the treatment he needed.

    With all that, I think he got demodex from his mother and due to his low immune system the mites took over. It's only in a localized area, it's not spreading that fast. So hopefully on Tuesday we can get him on some meds.

    Really bumpy start on owning my first bulldog, but we love him and would never be able to return him to the breeder for a new puppy, even though the breeder offered that.
    I think duke is in the right hands now ,I agree what was the breeder doing, enjoy your new little bull kid ,

  5. #16
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,151
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11482

    Default Re: 8 week old English Bulldog bald spots

    Quote Originally Posted by hneves View Post
    No not yet unfortunately.. They offered a drop off. Meaning I would have to leave him there all day tomorrow. But I don't think that's a good idea because who knows how the treatment will be. I have an appointment on Tuesday. Although I did do A LOT of reading online. And from the looks of it, it is demodex mange. The symptoms match. When we first got him his immune system was kinda low. He had a runny nose, wasn't as active as a puppy should be. So we started feeding him a heathier food and just watching him more. Now he's better, nomore runny nose and he's way more active and playful. I don't know what the breeder was doing but this poor puppy did not get the treatment he needed.

    With all that, I think he got demodex from his mother and due to his low immune system the mites took over. It's only in a localized area, it's not spreading that fast. So hopefully on Tuesday we can get him on some meds.

    Really bumpy start on owning my first bulldog, but we love him and would never be able to return him to the breeder for a new puppy, even though the breeder offered that.

    Great plan.... please keep us posted and hopefully he will get the right meds and be on the mend in no time
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  6. #17
    Bully Bootie Duty boo boo butts mom's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    180
    Bulldog(s) Names
    boo boo butt
    Likes (Received)
    67

    Default Re: 8 week old English Bulldog bald spots

    Good to see you're reading up on things like this. It is very good to educate yourself as much as possible. You never know when you're somewhere and out of reach of being able to look something up. Retaining all this information may come into hand. These little guys and girls make sure we as bulldog lover's we are always on our toes. Love them so much.

  7. Likes NewEnglandBully liked this post
  8. #18
    Newbie
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    21
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: 8 week old English Bulldog bald spots

    Hey everyone!
    Sorry it took me a while to get back to you guys. I went to the vet on tuesday and they did a skin scrapping and found nothing!
    But they did a fecal test and found parasites (im not sure which kind) and they have him on Albon suspension for 7 days. So they are thinking that the intestinal parasite might be causing the bald spots.

    Anyone know why he is having these bald spots since its not any kind of mange?

  9. #19
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: 8 week old English Bulldog bald spots

    Quote Originally Posted by hneves View Post
    Hey everyone!
    Sorry it took me a while to get back to you guys. I went to the vet on tuesday and they did a skin scrapping and found nothing!
    But they did a fecal test and found parasites (im not sure which kind) and they have him on Albon suspension for 7 days. So they are thinking that the intestinal parasite might be causing the bald spots.

    Anyone know why he is having these bald spots since its not any kind of mange?
    Thanks for the update!
    If the spots are not mange, then my next guess would be allergies - possibly from food. But before you change anything up on him, let him finish up his meds. Maybe he has some sort of salmonella? I've heard of that drug before, never used personally. The vet didn't give you any other answers or possibilities on the spots??

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  10. #20
    Newbie
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    21
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: 8 week old English Bulldog bald spots

    No.. All they said was to finish up the meds that he is taking and then see what happens with his skin.
    I was reading up on seasonal flank alopecia and it might be that.

  11. #21
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,151
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11482

    Default Re: 8 week old English Bulldog bald spots

    Quote Originally Posted by hneves View Post
    Hey everyone!
    Sorry it took me a while to get back to you guys. I went to the vet on tuesday and they did a skin scrapping and found nothing!
    But they did a fecal test and found parasites (im not sure which kind) and they have him on Albon suspension for 7 days. So they are thinking that the intestinal parasite might be causing the bald spots.

    Anyone know why he is having these bald spots since its not any kind of mange?
    too young for allergies and if it is not mange.... then it could be a result of the parasite. Can you look at the paper work or call them and ask what parasite it is? Albon seems to be used for bacteria infection like coccidia.... could that have been what the vet stated?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  12. #22
    Drool Catcher OliviaB's Avatar
    Real Name
    Olivia
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    241
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Belle
    Likes (Received)
    69

    Default Re: 8 week old English Bulldog bald spots

    Just be aware that a skin scrape is not always definitive. Mites can be VERY hard to see and if they don't go down deep enough with the skin scrape (enough to draw blood) they may get a false negative. Mites live deep in the skin and aren't always visible under a microscope. I'd still bet money on demodex and honestly I would get another opinion from a different vet. They don't seem too proactive

    Oh, and Albon is used to treat coccidia which usually causes diarrhea. It's not a bad thing to have that treated but I'd be skeptical of that being a cause of the bald spots.
    "The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.
    ― Charles de Gaulle

  13. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  14. #23
    Newbie
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    21
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: 8 week old English Bulldog bald spots

    Hello everyone Im back once again Seems like Duke is having the same symptoms again with the bald spots! Idk if its a skin infection or what but I need some advice!
    I read up on melatonin and that its very effective, but I need to know what it is before I find try to find some solutions.
    Also read that it may be seasonal flank alopecia.

    Trying to do a lot a research before I have to go to the vet, dont want him taking antibiotics if there is a natural solution.
    Thanks

    I attached two pictures one of the balding (in the picture it looks like they are really visible but when you're up close to Duke they are really hard to see) and the other... well its just a cute picture

    -img_1498-jpg-img_1515-jpg and the other... well its just a cute picture

  15. #24
    Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,302
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)
    1041

    Default 8 week old English Bulldog bald spots

    Quote Originally Posted by hneves View Post
    Hello everyone Im back once again Seems like Duke is having the same symptoms again with the bald spots! Idk if its a skin infection or what but I need some advice!
    I read up on melatonin and that its very effective, but I need to know what it is before I find try to find some solutions.
    Also read that it may be seasonal flank alopecia.

    Trying to do a lot a research before I have to go to the vet, dont want him taking antibiotics if there is a natural solution.
    Thanks

    I attached two pictures one of the balding (in the picture it looks like they are really visible but when you're up close to Duke they are really hard to see) and the other... well its just a cute picture

    -img_1498-jpg-img_1515-jpg and the other... well its just a cute picture
    It's hard to say for sure from pictures, but it looks a lot like demodex to me. The vet also called it "puppy mange" and said it wasn't totally uncommon in puppies. The first scrapes turned up negative for Ruckus, but then the spots got huge and fast. Ivermectin made him really sick and I wasn't about to have him dipped. It took a few months to go away with every other day washing (just the spots not a total bath) and twice daily applications of Goodwinol. It took a long time for the hair to come back. I found some old pictures of it.

    -imageuploadedbytapatalk1437524664-897967-jpg
    -imageuploadedbytapatalk1437524693-530579-jpg

  16. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •