General Question need info about heat stroke now that summer is approaching :)

Tara Lewerth

Mar 11, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
Hello All!

Seeing that I am a new bully mom to Boss (hes 8 months old) I am still in the learning process with everything. Braden, Boss's dad and my boyfriend/fiance, tells me all the time that I am way to over protective of Boss. I always tell him that if he wants to take Boss to all of his vet appointments and sit through lectures that I have endured (my vet gave me a 20 min lecture at our first visit when she found out he was my first bulldog...the lecture consisted of weight watching, wrinkle cleaning and of course heat stroke). The vet told me that luckily Boss has very nice sized nostrils for a bulldog which I think every inch of him is perfect :D. Now that summer time is approaching along with the warm and humid weather I have been getting nervous about Boss overheating. Again Braden lets him out on the leash all the time and tells me im just being crazy....which is always possible :ashamed: But the absolute last thing I would ever want is for this baby to have to suffer through anything that could have been avoided if we had paid more attention or were just a little more careful. I guess my question is:

How much do I really need to be worried about the heat stroke? The vet said in the summer to only let him outside to go potty and other than that he must be in the air conditioning! and because Boss is still a puppy he wants so much to go outside and play! Also up until now we have been really good about taking him on a walk almost everyday which he loves!! I always keep ice cubes in his water which he loves to eat when its warm out or if he seems to be hot.

Anyone have any advice towards any of this!?! As always any and all advice or input is extremely welcome and never taken harshly! So thanks so much for even reading this!! All of you wonderful people haven't been wrong yet about whats best for my little nugget!

Thanks!!!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hello All!

Seeing that I am a new bully mom to Boss (hes 8 months old) I am still in the learning process with everything. Braden, Boss's dad and my boyfriend/fiance, tells me all the time that I am way to over protective of Boss. I always tell him that if he wants to take Boss to all of his vet appointments and sit through lectures that I have endured (my vet gave me a 20 min lecture at our first visit when she found out he was my first bulldog...the lecture consisted of weight watching, wrinkle cleaning and of course heat stroke). The vet told me that luckily Boss has very nice sized nostrils for a bulldog which I think every inch of him is perfect :D. Now that summer time is approaching along with the warm and humid weather I have been getting nervous about Boss overheating. Again Braden lets him out on the leash all the time and tells me im just being crazy....which is always possible :ashamed: But the absolute last thing I would ever want is for this baby to have to suffer through anything that could have been avoided if we had paid more attention or were just a little more careful. I guess my question is:

How much do I really need to be worried about the heat stroke? The vet said in the summer to only let him outside to go potty and other than that he must be in the air conditioning! and because Boss is still a puppy he wants so much to go outside and play! Also up until now we have been really good about taking him on a walk almost everyday which he loves!! I always keep ice cubes in his water which he loves to eat when its warm out or if he seems to be hot.

Anyone have any advice towards any of this!?! As always any and all advice or input is extremely welcome and never taken harshly! So thanks so much for even reading this!! All of you wonderful people haven't been wrong yet about whats best for my little nugget!

Thanks!!!

Awesome that you are thinking about this with the summer approaching. Overheating is very dangerous for bullies, and once its gotten past a certain point, their organs begin to shut down :( I would say to definitely limit his time outside to maybe 10 mins. The good thing about bullies is that they will show you signs of getting too hot. Their breathing #1 will become very heavy, it may sound like they are heaving, or grunting, they will drool alot, their gums may turn bright red, and they may become lethargic very quickly. If you have him outside, of course have water near by, ice chips are great, or a quick cool down with the hose :) We take Tyson out - let him potty and immediately go back inside. If he does hang out with us for a bit, we use a cooling collar which has an ice pack inside. And we have water for him & make him drink - he loves ice chips :)

fdcff2979e393f4726d9b35524c72d86.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hello All!

Thanks!!!

Hi, you are very smart to be over protective and worried about Hoss especially where heat is concerned, our bullies are very sensitive to many things and need much more care than an average dog. your vet is right and has given you excellent and informed information, regarding his care. EB's need to be protected from extreme heat or cod, and anything over 68 degrees F is too hot for them to be outside for more than short potty breaks. They can be safely walked in the early mornings or in the evening hours when the sun isn't out yet, and only for a period of 15 0r 20 minutes. EB's are best kept inside in the air conditioning during the hot summer days.
Heatstroke occurs when normal body mechanisms cannot keep the body's temperature in a safe range. Animals do not have efficient cooling systems (like humans who sweat) and get overheated easily. A dog with moderate heatstroke (body temperature from 104º to 106ºF) can recover within an hour if given prompt first aid and veterinary care (normal body temperature is 100-102.5°F). Severe heatstroke (body temperature over 106ºF) can be deadly and immediate veterinary assistance is needed.Signs
A dog suffering from heatstroke will display several signs:

• Rapid panting
  • Bright red tongue
  • Red or pale gums
  • Thick, sticky saliva
  • Depression
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Vomiting - sometimes with blood
  • Diarrhea
  • Shock
  • Coma
What you should do
Remove the dog from the hot area immediately. Prior to taking him to your veterinarian, lower his temperature by wetting him thoroughly with cool water (for very small dogs, use lukewarm water), then increase air movement around him with a fan. CAUTION: Using very cold water can actually be counterproductive. Cooling too quickly and especially allowing his body temperature to become too low can cause other life-threatening medical conditions. The rectal temperature should be checked every 5 minutes. Once the body temperature is 103ºF, the cooling measures should be stopped and the dog should be dried thoroughly and covered so he does not continue to lose heat. Even if the dog appears to be recovering, take him to your veterinarian as soon as possible. He should still be examined since he may be dehydrated or have other complications.
Allow free access to water or a children's rehydrating solution if the dog can drink on his own. Do not try to force-feed cold water; the dog may inhale it or choke.
What your veterinarian will do
Your veterinarian will lower your dog's body temperature to a safe range (if you have not already) and continually monitor his temperature. Your dog will be given fluids, and possibly oxygen. He will be monitored for shock, respiratory distress, kidney failure, heart abnormalities, and other complications, and treated accordingly. Blood samples may be taken before and during the treatment. The clotting time of the blood will be monitored, since clotting problems are a common complication.
Aftercare
Dogs with moderate heatstroke often recover without complicating health problems. Severe heatstroke can cause organ damage that might need ongoing care such as a special diet prescribed by your veterinarian. Dogs who suffer from heatstroke once increase their risk for getting it again and steps must be taken to prevent it on hot, humid days.
Prevention
Any pet that cannot cool himself off is at risk for heatstroke. Following these guidelines can help prevent serious problems.

• Keep pets with predisposing conditions like heart disease, obesity, older age, or breathing problems cool and in the shade. Even normal activity for these pets can be harmful.
  • Provide access to water at all times.
  • Do not leave your pet in a hot parked car even if you're in the shade or will only be gone a short time. The temperature inside a parked car can quickly reach up to140 degrees.
  • Make sure outside dogs have access to shade.
  • On a hot day, restrict exercise and don't take your dog jogging with you. Too much exercise when the weather is very hot can be dangerous.
  • Do not muzzle your dog.
  • Avoid places like the beach and especially concrete or asphalt areas where heat is reflected and there is no access to shade.
  • Wetting down your dog with cool water or allowing him to swim can help maintain a normal body temperature.
  • Move your dog to a cool area of the house. Air conditioning is one of the best ways to keep a dog cool, but is not always dependable. To provide a cooler environment, freeze water in soda bottles, or place ice and a small amount of water in several resealable food storage bags, then wrap them in a towel or tube sock. Place them on the floor for the dog to lay on.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
that gang has you covered!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.