Interdigital Cyst

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think Maggie may have an interdigital cyst on one of her back paws. It's inbetween two of her toes. It looks like the pictures I've found on google. There is no cut from what I can see. It started Friday night and we bathed it in peroxide and just in case I've put Neosporin on it at night in case she licks it. I thought that if I put it on at night then she'd sleep and let it soak in. However, it's not getting any better.

We're stopping her from licking it because that's all she does if we let her.

Has anybody any experience of these .. what causes them, how to treat them, etc.

Poor Maggie ..... :*(

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I had a foster dog that got them. No one knows for sure what causes them. But soaking the foot in epsom salt and water twice a day makes it go away. Make sure you dry it completely. It takes a couple days for it to go away.

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION] How much epsom salt do you add to the water??

Ann Farley Hamilton

Jul 21, 2010
Brookline, NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton's Irish Mack we call him Mack and Blossom
If I have to soak paws it's easier to put enough water in the tub to cover the affected area on the paw. Just read the directions on the Epsom Slats it should tell you how much. I just put in a couple of tablespoon in depending on how much water. I adopted a rescue that had on all 4 paws between every toe, I soaked them 1-2 times a day, then dried them and then I used yellow Listerine the old original type. This kills any germs that are there without killing good cells, peroxide kills germs but also kills good cells too. It took about 3-4 weeks for all his to clear but his were bad. They are usually a sign that their allergic to something in their surroundings or food Also I use the Listerine on Mack and Blossom's paws every time I give them a bath and they have never had a cyst ever. Just pour about a half a cap full on each paw at the start of bath. Hope this helps let me know if I can help in anyway.

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=897]Ann Farley Hamilton[/MENTION] Thanks for the info about the Listerine .. gonna pick some of that up with the epsom salts.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I use the old, gold listerine on the dogs feet that lick them. Stops them from licking their feet too.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
our bulldog growing up had them all the time. My mom was told they are cysts from his allergies. Richard was extremely allergic to grass. He would get them in between every digit in the summer time and would contently lick them. My mom would just get him allergy shots every month. They say the shots are bad for them, but Richard lived to be over 12.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
Butler used to get them all the time, but not sincere we switched to fromm... i used stridex pads and that seemed to dry them out pretty quickly. the epsom salt, although I have not tried it, is supposed to work well too! good luck!

ClaireandMarty

May 26, 2010
Eustis, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy and Mikey
Went to a holistic store today bacause Mikey get's them often. Her recommendation, mix a 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar and water and spritz it on all his feet every time in comes inside. No need to dry it off, and you can do it often. Gonna give it a try.

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION] and [MENTION=897]Ann Farley Hamilton[/MENTION]

We have been soaking Maggie's paw in epsom salt solution ... at least once a day. Unfortunately, with our crazy schedules and the fact that it takes two of us to keep her with her paw in the bowl for 10 minutes, it has been closer to being once a day. I noticed that on one side of her nose by her mouth she has little red bumps too that looked very similar so I began to think that this is an allergy to something. So we started the kids benadryl... which actually makes her sleep a lot more - the advantage of it making her sleep is that we can guarantee that she isn't endlessly licking her paw which she does do.

With the epsom salts, listerine and benadryl we finally seemed to be getting somewhere on Thursday evening ... it looked like it was a much paler pink and some of the swelling had gone. However, it is now seeping clear liquid, and a tiny little bit of blood. I don't know if this is normal or not or if the blood is due to her licking because we don't always manage to stop her all of the time.

So here are my questions .... if it is slightly bleeding then are we still ok to soak in epsom salts or will it just sting. Since I noticed the spots of blood on the floor when she was walking we stopped the soaks and just wiped with peroxide. My second question, is if anybody has noticed these cysts appearing somewhere else .. like we have with Maggie around one side of her mouth!!??

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Hmmm... I never noticed it anywhere else. I can't remember if my fosters bled or not... but it won't hurt to keep soaking it. I'm thinking the blood is just from her licking. Can you take a picture of her nose and foot?

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
So we've been soaking Maggie's foot in epsom salts for a week now ... unfortunately because of our schedules and the fact that it's a two person job to get maggie to keep her foot in the soaking solution, we probably managed only once a day except for weekends. It would look better for a while and then look bad again. The worst part was stopping her from licking it until it started to bleed!

Today we took her to the vets .. last night we noticed that it had spread from between two toes to three. Our vet actually did a paper on food and is pretty good at nutritional stuff and accepted that there was a strong possibility that it could have been the chicken fromm that started an allergic reaction although she couldn't say 100% definite without doing more tests. However, our problem now is that it was infected and so there was no way it was going to go away without antibiotics. So we now have antibiotics to give her twice a day, a solution to make up a different type of soak for her foot, and also some kind of cream that we need to put on morning and night. Let's hope that this will do the trick!!! In the meantime, I am crossing chicken off Maggies diet sheet!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So we've been soaking Maggie's foot in epsom salts for a week now ... unfortunately because of our schedules and the fact that it's a two person job to get maggie to keep her foot in the soaking solution, we probably managed only once a day except for weekends. It would look better for a while and then look bad again. The worst part was stopping her from licking it until it started to bleed!

Today we took her to the vets .. last night we noticed that it had spread from between two toes to three. Our vet actually did a paper on food and is pretty good at nutritional stuff and accepted that there was a strong possibility that it could have been the chicken fromm that started an allergic reaction although she couldn't say 100% definite without doing more tests. However, our problem now is that it was infected and so there was no way it was going to go away without antibiotics. So we now have antibiotics to give her twice a day, a solution to make up a different type of soak for her foot, and also some kind of cream that we need to put on morning and night. Let's hope that this will do the trick!!! In the meantime, I am crossing chicken off Maggies diet sheet!!

Seems like many of us are finding chicken to be a problem lately!

Glad you took her in, before it got worse. Poor sweet girl. Give her a kiss from me! MUAH!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.