oldbaystyle

Feb 5, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Hi, all. Just want to get some advice on keeping the Duchess cool as we approach summer.

We bought a new house soon after we got her and this is going to be our first summer with her. We have read all the warnings about watching her outside and limiting her to e out there when it is hot.

However, my concern is we do not have central air. We do have three window units that we need to out in, but we have never tried them to see how cool it keeps the house.

What temperature should we try and keep it inside?

We live in Maryland and summers can get hot and humid. Today's high got to about 80. With windows open, a slight breeze, and ceiling fans, we kept it about 70 inside. I just don't know when I should break out the window units.

Also...I have been looking at the cooling pads, but have a few questions. Right now, she spends mornings in her crate while I am at work and Mrs. Oldbaystyle sleeps after working nightshift. I am not sure I can use the cooling pad and the crate as there would be no way for her to get off the pad if she didn't want it. Should we just speed up our timeline to let her have roam of the kitchen.

Lastly, her highness explores everything with her mouth. And is a big fan of destroying things if she can get away with it. Thoughts on her eating the cooling pad if left unsupervised? I know there is gel in there that I am sure would not be good.

Any and all advice appreciated!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Do not leave her unattended with a cooling pad... we did have a member that almost lost their baby because he began to eat it and ended up in the hospital.

We keep our house at 72 in the summer months,... in fact our AC went on today and will probably be on till October now :)

OP
O

oldbaystyle

Feb 5, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Thanks for the help [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] !

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/Christine… we keep our house around 75 and I keep ceiling fans going at all times. Plus if you have tile floors those will keep her cool…

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I keep house as cool as I can afford to as this old house leaks no matter what we do but we also have laminate and tile floors and fans in every room running on high 24x7. It's not hot in the house by any means but I would love to keep is 3 or 4 degrees cooler that I currently do.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
You are right to be concerned about the cooling mats.
The gel will KILL if enough is ingested, we've had deaths
from these on EBN and a few, survivors, caught before
eating too much but deathly ill and at much expense. Use
only while there with your dogs.

Tile floors will help a lot, it's not just temperatures but
high humidity will harm so be watchful, I'd check those
A/C units sooner than later and even if one is working
properly, put in an area where your bully can be on those
days.

I live in Texas and keep my house @ 72* with fans circulating,
have tile floors...July/August/September, I keep temps @ 70*.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, everyone has given you excellent advice. You're right to be concerned about heat and your baby, these guys don't deal with heat very well and can become overheated very easily.

We keep our AC on from the end of May on, and keep the temperature at about 70 degrees. At this time of year, we keep the windows open during the day and have a cross breeze going through the house, plus we have fans in the living room and bedrooms. I agree with others regarding the cooling pads, I wouldn't leave her unattended with it, in case she does chew it and eats the gel. I would pen her in the kitchen on the cool tiles and keep a fan on during the day near where she is, and also leave her access to plenty of cool water.

OP
O

oldbaystyle

Feb 5, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Thanks, everyone for the help. First window unit installed as a test. I think she approves.

IMG_20150504_192814.jpg

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
DUCHESS APPROVES, SHE IS COOLER, A HAPPY COOLER CAMPER SHE IS. WE LEAVE OUR AC ON 70 FOR ELMO AND ALL OF OUR OTHER 4 LEGGED BABIES. I AM GOING TO GET ELMO A COOLING MAT, BUT I WILL SUPERVISE HIM WITH IT AT ALL TIMES.

luvmytuker

Jan 10, 2015
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Me thinks she loves it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We keep our air set to 77 deg F. in the summer and run the ceiling fans, and everyone is happy. I also agree, do not leave her unattended with a cooling pad. You can also get a Coolaroo bed, and they like to sleep on and that helps cool them off.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
We keep our air set to 77 deg F. in the summer and run the ceiling fans, and everyone is happy. I also agree, do not leave her unattended with a cooling pad. You can also get a Coolaroo bed, and they like to sleep on and that helps cool them off.

Lucky y'all...Miz Cami fusses at 73* and doesn't use her coolaroo bed
as effectively as she could because she MUST be beside me, on the sofa
or the bed, all day every day...lmbo

These bullies and the lives they lead...I want to be my bully!!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.