Candieshuman

Apr 30, 2015
San Diego
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Candie
So, I stumbled upon this forum last night while looking up bulldog allergies. Everyone has been so helpful. I guess I am looking for support because I don't have anyone else to go to.

My bully is about 9 years old. I got her when she was 3. My parents divorced and I moved away for about 2 years and my dad would not allow me to take her because he of course fell in love with her.

She has always had allergies. To the point where contact with the grass or weeds during spring causes yeast infections in her paws. My father made sure to keep up with her cleanings the best he knew how. I tried to educate him on bulldogs the best I knew how. Being I am now 22 I really still am learning. He was unable to keep up with her so I just took back custody. It has been amazing to have my lover girl back.

Right away I bathed her and cleaned her wrinkles and paws just like old times. I always came to visit and so did she but it's like she knew this time she was coming home. One thing that is different is her horrible breath. I know she had problems before because no matter what we did with her diet we could get her to stop eating her poop. She doesn't do it anymore. I think it was an anxiety thing due to the divorce and half the family and other 2 pets leaving. Break my heart...

Sorry for the long post I'm getting to the point I promise. Today I noticed a few of her teeth had shifted so I looked at her top teeth and noticed a thick discolored grime. It looked almost grey like dead tissue. I preceded to freak out ashamed of the fact I could not be there for her. In tears I grabbed my significant other. He held a flashlight as I investigated further. It was not tissue... it was fur!!! Because her paws get irritated she chews on them quite a bit. I stop her as much as I can. My poor baby is so uncomfortable that she has chewed so much it was stuck in her gums and in between her poor teeth! I found a loose tooth as well. I got sick to my stomach as I gently removed as much as I could.

Fortunately it did not leave sores. I am so ashamed that her teeth have gotten so bad and I was not there to notice. I can't help but be angry at my father for being oblivious to the fact she needed help. I know he didn't know any better especially since he has trouble seeing. I am going to bring her to the vet even though I have no way to pay First thing tomorrow to see if they can set up a plan. I feel so sick. I cannot sleep and of course my sweet girl is sound asleep curled up next to me snoring away! Oh how I wish they could tell you something is wrong. She is a strong stubborn girl thats for sure bit she is mine.

Sorry for the super long post. I am very upset and didnt know who else to talk to. Then I thought about this forum I discovered last night. Who else understands a girls love for her bull dog the way I do? Other bully owners!

Thank you any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN .... wish I can tell you it is not uncommon, but to have the fur all stuck in the gums/teeth does happen. Make a vet appointment and have her cleaned up -- you now know the cause of the bad breath.

What food are you feeding? My girl was a yeasty mess and once I got potato out of her diet it lessened greatly -- she was also allergic to grass/weeds/tress... I would wipe her down with a cool wash cloth after each outing which did make a difference in her level of licking.

Would love to see a picture of your love

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about your girl… before I found this forum I had NO idea about all of the issues w/our bulldog Bella. I would take her to the vets to get her mouth looked at, and then you can deal w/the allergies. We are here to help you once you figure out what is going on…

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, first of all Welcome to EBN, you will love it on this forum, lots of great information and lots of great people who are always willing to give advice, answer your questions, and share their experiences. Congratulations on getting your baby back, even though she was still in your family, you must have missed her. You have already been given great above,your vet will be able to clean up her teeth. Candies allergies could be caused by both food or environmental reasons, but because she is a senior bully at 9 years old, she may not tolerate changes in her diet at this point, it may cause her more stress and food intolerance which could cause tummy upset and diarrhea. This is another issue you can discuss with your vet.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi & Welcome. Don't be discouraged, we are all here and have been through similar situations. I run my fingers through Tyson's gums & mouth at least twice a week to make sure there's not any fur, hair, etc. Its very common. The best thing you can do for her is take her in to be looked at it. They will assess how serious the issues are. At her age, I don't know about putting her under - unless she's in pain. From what it sounds like though, it doesn't seem like she is. I would also get a toothbrush and start brushing her teeth. It doesnt matter how long or old the stuff she has now is, you can at least try and breakdown some of it, and "prevent" more....Even coconut oil is great for their teeth. Also, what are you feeding? That could be the reason for allergies, and could also contribute to the teeth issues. There's nothing we can do about the past, we just have to move forward and take care of what we can now :)

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Welcome to EBN! Others above have given you great advice so I just wanted to add that we have lots of helpful members so don't hesitate to ask any questions! Sometimes issues can end up being a pretty simple fix without having to go to the vet.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Don't be sorry for long posts we love long posts around here lol. This happens all the time with bullies and the vet will get her cleaned up. I too wonder what food you are feeding her right now.

:welcome: to EBN!

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Welcome to the club!!

I too found this site like 3 years agonizing over my angel. I was actually sitting in the parking lot of a vet who wouldn't sell me his prescription food without seeing him. I didn't have the money and he was all out of food! So there I am in the parking lot crying my eyes out and googling about dog food and was so blessed to come across this forum....

Welcome to the family

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
You've been given great advice.....but I wanted to share this with you.

SF hoodie slim-black8.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This happened to me as well, when searching for the source of Molly's horrid breath I found fur trapped in her gumline, sometimes in her teeth wedged in between, and even in one of the ridges of her pallet!

But she licks EVERYTHING. I actually remove any hairballs from her mouth daily and it helps. I also took her to my vet to see if she needed dental work and he said no, so for us it is not a poor teeth issue, it's a hairy issue! She's really good about letting me inspect her mouth now, she loves her mommmy so she lets me poke at her all day :D

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
This happened to me as well, when searching for the source of Molly's horrid breath I found fur trapped in her gumline, sometimes in her teeth wedged in between, and even in one of the ridges of her pallet!

But she licks EVERYTHING. I actually remove any hairballs from her mouth daily and it helps. I also took her to my vet to see if she needed dental work and he said no, so for us it is not a poor teeth issue, it's a hairy issue! She's really good about letting me inspect her mouth now, she loves her mommmy so she lets me poke at her all day :D

This brings me to a question I wonder about-but forget to ask the vet whenever I am there. The bullies(at least the ones I have) seem to lick each other more than any other dogs I have had. Will dogs get "hairballs" like cats do? I feel so dumb asking this question,but an inquiring mind wants to know? I just looked it up, and they do get hairballs, but usually will throw them up. I knew it was a dumb question!!:blush2:

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.