Entropion in a 3 year old???

Pac536

Apr 28, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George
Hi, I took George to the vets as I noticed slight hazing in both eyes. The vet said that his eyelids were rolled and causing corneal abrasions. I mentioned in passing that his eye lids drooped down and that I didn't expect that. She agreed looked unsure and checked again. She said that there were no eye lashes and no ulcers, but there were blood vessels starting acros the iris. she gave me some antibiotic eye drops and told me to come back in two week. If things haven't got better then he needs to go for a $300 visit to the optometrist.
The thing that go me thinking is that he has no symptoms other than the hazing. He has no problem with bright lights, he doesn't scratch his eyes, he doesn't tear excessively, nothing. Also,he's 3, if it's genetic, shouldn't it have already been an issue by now?
Anbody have any ideas please?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Usually it will show up sooner, but not always. Keep an eye on it, as it can get worse, and you don't want him to get an ulcer on his eye, as they are very painful.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
could be as the facial wrinkles get more defined and thicker as the age and gain weight, it gets more of an issue. Keep close eye on it as David stated, it can get worse very qucikly

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
That seems odd for it to happen while he's 3 years old, but I guess it's quite possible. I would definitely keep an eye on it… ulcers can be painful.

OP
P

Pac536

Apr 28, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George
Thanks for the replies guys.
He isn't really heavy, he's 55lbs so it might be gravity taking effect... So would you guys hold off and monitor it until he has an issue, or get it done asap? It looks like it's going to be a lot of money and I don't want him to be put under if he doesn't NEED to. On the other hand I don't want to wait too long and have a blind pooch in pain? I'm not really sure what to do....

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
In our experience which has been a lot since our boy has had eye issues Entropian etc. He started having blinking..tearing around his 1st bday.He is 2 now and just had another procedure.I have noticed hazing of his eyes but he's never had ulcers or scratches thankfully.He's had two entropian surgeries and eyelashes removed plus this last appt the optomologist put stitches in his lids to pull his eye out.So just watch him closely it can come and go.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.