OP
G

Gwise

Apr 28, 2015
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
glen
Hes been on royal canin since he was a baby..... So a lot of people are sayin royal canin is not great food? I was under the impression it was high quality? Could someone clear up which brands are better quality. Thanks

TX

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hes been on royal canin since he was a baby..... So a lot of people are sayin royal canin is not great food? I was under the impression it was high quality? Could someone clear up which brands are better quality. Thanks

TX

Yes, it is a not a high quality food. since you are in the UK, look into James Well Beloved or .. i think the other is Wainwright?

OP
G

Gwise

Apr 28, 2015
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
glen
Ok thanks.... I thought royal canin was the best.... I feel awful now.... I will give james well beloved a try

TX

Jul 24, 2014
illinos
Bulldog(s) Names
sophia
my Sophia has seasonal flank alopecia also. altho I think its turning into just plain flank alopecia...some parts are growing back and now shes getting round bald spots on her neck. When I take her out I usually put a t shirt on her so I dont get the OMG what wrong with your dog look....so instead I get...omg look at that lady she dresses up that poor dog in a pink frilly sun dress!!!look Im hoping her hair grows back but if it doesnt...oh well shes still my baby girl

033.jpg034.jpg035.jpg036.jpg

OP
G

Gwise

Apr 28, 2015
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
glen
my Sophia has seasonal flank alopecia also. altho I think its turning into just plain flank alopecia...some parts are growing back and now shes getting round bald spots on her neck. When I take her out I usually put a t shirt on her so I dont get the OMG what wrong with your dog look....so instead I get...omg look at that lady she dresses up that poor dog in a pink frilly sun dress!!!look Im hoping her hair grows back but if it doesnt...oh well shes still my baby girl

View attachment 86813View attachment 86814View attachment 86815View attachment 86816

Hi nancy,
how long has sophia had this ? An d have you changed foods? Has it helped?... I mite just shave glen snd tell everyone hes a new breed lol

TX

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby

View attachment 86813View attachment 86814View attachment 86815View attachment 86816

It takes time but it will grow back; Amber looked just like this at the peak of it. The Melatonin really does help but the hair growth takes a little time to get back. You cannot even tell there was anything wrong with Amber. We just learned to live with it until she got her hair back. We never take our bullies off our property other than vacations, vet, and toenail trimming which Amber turns into a raving lunatic over. Patience, it will grow back. Good luck.

Jul 24, 2014
illinos
Bulldog(s) Names
sophia
Hi nancy,
how long has sophia had this ? An d have you changed foods? Has it helped?... I mite just shave glen snd tell everyone hes a new breed lol

TX

this is her second year. last year by June or july her hair had grown back in..this yr the alopecia seems worse so I think it might take longer to fill back in but I can tell it is. as far as diet we feed her raw because of her multitude of allegies. .... I had forgot all about her hair falling out until I noticed it thining again in december..then I gave her melatonin...next year I will make a mental note to start it in October before her hair starts to fall out and see if it helps.

Jul 24, 2014
illinos
Bulldog(s) Names
sophia
It takes time but it will grow back; Amber looked just like this at the peak of it. The Melatonin really does help but the hair growth takes a little time to get back. You cannot even tell there was anything wrong with Amber. We just learned to live with it until she got her hair back. We never take our bullies off our property other than vacations, vet, and toenail trimming which Amber turns into a raving lunatic over. Patience, it will grow back. Good luck.

Im going to Mark my calender for october of next year to start Melatonin again and hopefully it will prevent her hair from falling out again. glad it helps with your amber. the only thing that makes it not so bad is it is only cosmetic and is not causing them any discomfort. but I dont want her to look like that if she doesnt have to but I love my baby however she looks

OP
G

Gwise

Apr 28, 2015
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
glen
Yeah ive noticed hes getting a little thin along his side under his arm as well so i am going to see about melatonin and new food today.

TX

OP
G

Gwise

Apr 28, 2015
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
glen
Not that it seems to be bothering him........
ec62407a12748f3dc9c5b8f72af63c0e.jpg

TX

Jul 24, 2014
illinos
Bulldog(s) Names
sophia
Yeah ive noticed hes getting a little thin along his side under his arm as well so i am going to see about melatonin and new food today.

TX
yes..that the real tell tale sign the thinning flanks...at least you know not to stress about it now. and let him know that if he lost every hair on his sweet little bully body you would still love him. oh by the way , my vet..who is not a bully vet, didnt know what it was until I found out on this site and told her . she looked it up and said yes thats what it is . she had 3 others one of which was a boxer, another a bully, and a pit bull who were going thru the same thing, who she said she would call and let them know. ...I wonder how many times this web site educated vets thru the people on it....thank you englishbulldognews

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have found with the SFA,at least on my dogs, that first the skin under the hair will turn black, and then the hair in that area starts to fall out. Maude's never did grow back on one side. Martha's skin turned black, but area seems to be shrinking and the hair did not fall out. They had Melatonin all winter.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Glen is so cute! Every time I think I've seen the cutest, along comes another!! I just want to kiss them all on their smushy faces!!:blowkiss::blowkiss::yes:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.