Bald?

Gwise

Apr 28, 2015
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
glen
Hi guys over the past few weeks ive noticed my dog going bald... I think.... Little round bald patches slowly getting bigger... Can anyone help or am i being paranoid?
539efc45a187c0bda13fddae39f21de5.jpg
508e07e0ec52fb8873ca14593a02a559.jpg
2b138291402bfcef8371c77b981c7b47.jpg

TX

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=14123]Gwise[/MENTION]

Can be a few different things: Allergies (what are you feeding?) - could also be some form of mange (only a vet could test this with a scrape test) - they could also see if its something bacteria/fungal wise. More than likely its allergies.... does it itch? Look red, or scabby?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
could be seasonal flank alopecia. Call your vet, but I seem to remember that Melatonin can be used for this. I am not sure of dosage for your dogs weight though so check in with the vet.

OP
G

Gwise

Apr 28, 2015
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
glen
Hes on royal canin.. No its not red or sore looking... Just a little rough (only slightly) and bald... Doesnt seem to bothering him at all, its killing me tho lol

TX

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hes on royal canin.. No its not red or sore looking... Just a little rough (only slightly) and bald... Doesnt seem to bothering him at all, its killing me tho lol

TX

Yes, like @brutus77 said could also be seasonal flank alopecia - which happens alot with bullies. Allergy breakouts tend to red, pink, itchy. But Tyson once had something very similar and it spread all on his body in the most random places... it was also something bacterial. We did a low dose of meds, and medicated baths. Cleared up.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue had the exact same spots. It was a bacterial skin infection caused by allergies. The vet put him on simplicef for 21 days and it cleared right up. Haven't had any problems since. This was last June.

OP
G

Gwise

Apr 28, 2015
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
glen
Ok thanks guys i will be sure to let you know how he turns out

TX

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Ok thanks guys i will be sure to let you know how he turns out

TX

Yes, please keep us posted. I would just do quick trip to the vet to confirm, and pick up some medicated shampoo too :)

blitz

Apr 19, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
chuck
Chuck had that on royal canin!! Now that he's on half that half wholesomeblend a it has cleared right up.. Did your pup just start that food? Or always on it and spots have just developed??

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
a tablespoon of yogurt every morning will clear that right up, I'd get him off the royal canin asap too.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ours didn't do well on Royal Canin either. I would let a vet look at it, as others have said, it could be several things.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Looks like seasonal flank alopecia; Amber got it once and I freaked out, thought she was going to be bald forever, the patch was small at first then larger and larger plus the skin was dark. Went to the vet, nothing wrong, no mits, no skin problems just seasonal flank alopecia which happens with higher altitudes in several breeds for some reason. So, they put her on 5 mg Melatonin daily and it took a couple of months for it to go away but it cleared up and she is fine. I keep melatonin in the house now and give it to her during the winter months and we have no more problems. Ruby has never had it. Good luck!!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Does alopecia also have small bald, dry spots all over? Or is it more in one area and just gets larger..

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Does alopecia also have small bald, dry spots all over? Or is it more in one area and just gets larger..

From my experience with Amber it started out at first just looking like her fur was just slightly thinner than the rest of her coat, then I noticed a small patch of hair gone, then that spot got a little bigger and as she lost more hair I could see the dark skin underneath. When she was in the sunlight I could definitely see the patch of hair thinner than the rest in a large portion of her right side. She had been on the same diet for quit some time with no changes so I knew it wasn't her diet (she has always been on grain free and is presently on Earthborn wild catch, I keep my girls on the fish based grainfree). Her skin wasn't really dry, just hair loss and then it started on her other side just a bit. It was worse on one side than the other; the doctor told me about the Melatonin 5mg and that took care of it. During the winter they don't get enough vitamin D sunlight and high elevation contribute to the problem. So, to make sure I get the upper hand on it, I start giving her the Melatonin towards the end of October through the winter months and I have not had the problem since. You can buy it at Walgreens rather cheap. Ruby has never had the problem but once Amber had it as a precaution I also give it to Ruby during the same months a Amber just to make sure. My girls coats are beautiful and everytime I go to the vet with them they always ask what I feed them to make them look so good. They also get one egg a day each every morning with their breakfast. Good luck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online