Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 36

Thread: Bald?

  1. #13
    The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    dalmatina38's Avatar
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Location
    Sierra Vista Arizona
    Posts
    1,160
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)
    190

    Default Re: Bald?

    Looks like seasonal flank alopecia; Amber got it once and I freaked out, thought she was going to be bald forever, the patch was small at first then larger and larger plus the skin was dark. Went to the vet, nothing wrong, no mits, no skin problems just seasonal flank alopecia which happens with higher altitudes in several breeds for some reason. So, they put her on 5 mg Melatonin daily and it took a couple of months for it to go away but it cleared up and she is fine. I keep melatonin in the house now and give it to her during the winter months and we have no more problems. Ruby has never had it. Good luck!!

  2. #14
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Bald?

    Does alopecia also have small bald, dry spots all over? Or is it more in one area and just gets larger..


  3. #15
    The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    dalmatina38's Avatar
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Location
    Sierra Vista Arizona
    Posts
    1,160
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)
    190

    Default Re: Bald?

    Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Does alopecia also have small bald, dry spots all over? Or is it more in one area and just gets larger..
    From my experience with Amber it started out at first just looking like her fur was just slightly thinner than the rest of her coat, then I noticed a small patch of hair gone, then that spot got a little bigger and as she lost more hair I could see the dark skin underneath. When she was in the sunlight I could definitely see the patch of hair thinner than the rest in a large portion of her right side. She had been on the same diet for quit some time with no changes so I knew it wasn't her diet (she has always been on grain free and is presently on Earthborn wild catch, I keep my girls on the fish based grainfree). Her skin wasn't really dry, just hair loss and then it started on her other side just a bit. It was worse on one side than the other; the doctor told me about the Melatonin 5mg and that took care of it. During the winter they don't get enough vitamin D sunlight and high elevation contribute to the problem. So, to make sure I get the upper hand on it, I start giving her the Melatonin towards the end of October through the winter months and I have not had the problem since. You can buy it at Walgreens rather cheap. Ruby has never had the problem but once Amber had it as a precaution I also give it to Ruby during the same months a Amber just to make sure. My girls coats are beautiful and everytime I go to the vet with them they always ask what I feed them to make them look so good. They also get one egg a day each every morning with their breakfast. Good luck.

  4. #16
    Newbie
    Country
    UK
    Posts
    9
    Bulldog(s) Names
    glen
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Bald?

    Hes been on royal canin since he was a baby..... So a lot of people are sayin royal canin is not great food? I was under the impression it was high quality? Could someone clear up which brands are better quality. Thanks


    TX

  5. #17
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11533

    Default Re: Bald?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwise View Post
    Hes been on royal canin since he was a baby..... So a lot of people are sayin royal canin is not great food? I was under the impression it was high quality? Could someone clear up which brands are better quality. Thanks


    TX
    Yes, it is a not a high quality food. since you are in the UK, look into James Well Beloved or .. i think the other is Wainwright?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  6. #18
    Newbie
    Country
    UK
    Posts
    9
    Bulldog(s) Names
    glen
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Bald?

    Ok thanks.... I thought royal canin was the best.... I feel awful now.... I will give james well beloved a try


    TX

  7. #19
    Pooper scooper Nancy Kirby's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nancy
    Location
    illinos
    Posts
    35
    Bulldog(s) Names
    sophia
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Bald?

    my Sophia has seasonal flank alopecia also. altho I think its turning into just plain flank alopecia...some parts are growing back and now shes getting round bald spots on her neck. When I take her out I usually put a t shirt on her so I dont get the OMG what wrong with your dog look....so instead I get...omg look at that lady she dresses up that poor dog in a pink frilly sun dress!!!look Im hoping her hair grows back but if it doesnt...oh well shes still my baby girl


    -033-jpg-034-jpg-035-jpg-036-jpg

  8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  9. #20
    Newbie
    Country
    UK
    Posts
    9
    Bulldog(s) Names
    glen
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Bald?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Kirby View Post
    my Sophia has seasonal flank alopecia also. altho I think its turning into just plain flank alopecia...some parts are growing back and now shes getting round bald spots on her neck. When I take her out I usually put a t shirt on her so I dont get the OMG what wrong with your dog look....so instead I get...omg look at that lady she dresses up that poor dog in a pink frilly sun dress!!!look Im hoping her hair grows back but if it doesnt...oh well shes still my baby girl


    -033-jpg-034-jpg-035-jpg-036-jpg
    Hi nancy,
    how long has sophia had this ? An d have you changed foods? Has it helped?... I mite just shave glen snd tell everyone hes a new breed lol


    TX

  10. #21
    The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    dalmatina38's Avatar
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Location
    Sierra Vista Arizona
    Posts
    1,160
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)
    190

    Default Re: Bald?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Kirby View Post
    my Sophia has seasonal flank alopecia also. altho I think its turning into just plain flank alopecia...some parts are growing back and now shes getting round bald spots on her neck. When I take her out I usually put a t shirt on her so I dont get the OMG what wrong with your dog look....so instead I get...omg look at that lady she dresses up that poor dog in a pink frilly sun dress!!!look Im hoping her hair grows back but if it doesnt...oh well shes still my baby girl


    -033-jpg-034-jpg-035-jpg-036-jpg
    It takes time but it will grow back; Amber looked just like this at the peak of it. The Melatonin really does help but the hair growth takes a little time to get back. You cannot even tell there was anything wrong with Amber. We just learned to live with it until she got her hair back. We never take our bullies off our property other than vacations, vet, and toenail trimming which Amber turns into a raving lunatic over. Patience, it will grow back. Good luck.

  11. #22
    Pooper scooper Nancy Kirby's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nancy
    Location
    illinos
    Posts
    35
    Bulldog(s) Names
    sophia
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Bald?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwise View Post
    Hi nancy,
    how long has sophia had this ? An d have you changed foods? Has it helped?... I mite just shave glen snd tell everyone hes a new breed lol


    TX
    this is her second year. last year by June or july her hair had grown back in..this yr the alopecia seems worse so I think it might take longer to fill back in but I can tell it is. as far as diet we feed her raw because of her multitude of allegies. .... I had forgot all about her hair falling out until I noticed it thining again in december..then I gave her melatonin...next year I will make a mental note to start it in October before her hair starts to fall out and see if it helps.

  12. #23
    Pooper scooper Nancy Kirby's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nancy
    Location
    illinos
    Posts
    35
    Bulldog(s) Names
    sophia
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Bald?

    Quote Originally Posted by dalmatina38 View Post
    It takes time but it will grow back; Amber looked just like this at the peak of it. The Melatonin really does help but the hair growth takes a little time to get back. You cannot even tell there was anything wrong with Amber. We just learned to live with it until she got her hair back. We never take our bullies off our property other than vacations, vet, and toenail trimming which Amber turns into a raving lunatic over. Patience, it will grow back. Good luck.
    Im going to Mark my calender for october of next year to start Melatonin again and hopefully it will prevent her hair from falling out again. glad it helps with your amber. the only thing that makes it not so bad is it is only cosmetic and is not causing them any discomfort. but I dont want her to look like that if she doesnt have to but I love my baby however she looks

  13. #24
    Newbie
    Country
    UK
    Posts
    9
    Bulldog(s) Names
    glen
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Bald?

    Yeah ive noticed hes getting a little thin along his side under his arm as well so i am going to see about melatonin and new food today.


    TX

  14. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •