Help Needed! Should I put a diaper on him?

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
I hope it helps along with the other pics of how I attached them to stay up on boo. The string I used came from my sweater giving it a stretchyness about the string which helped tons when trying to get it to stretch when she laid down or sat up. Again I didn't want it to pull on her harness so I sacrificed my string from my sweater lol.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ugh… poor Finn, and poor YOU!!! I'm curious do you think he's just a heavy sleeper?!!

Did they do any blood work on him?!! The reason I'm mentioning this is because peeing can be a symptom of many different things… I went thru this route w/Roxie :(

I'm so sorry you are having such a tough time w/Finn… I hope they figure out what's going on soon.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Ugh… poor Finn, and poor YOU!!! I'm curious do you think he's just a heavy sleeper?!!

Did they do any blood work on him?!! The reason I'm mentioning this is because peeing can be a symptom of many different things… I went thru this route w/Roxie :(

I'm so sorry you are having such a tough time w/Finn… I hope they figure out what's going on soon.

thanks Tracey. No blood work yesterday. And Finn is not a heavy sleeper in general tho last night he was out like a light! but the previous nights that this happened, he was not a heavy sleeper at all. I was reading up on sleep incontinence. I hope this is just a temporary symptom of something b/c he's only 4yo and i would be surprised if he was incontinent already. I will see what the vet says after the UA is back and if blood tests will be necessary. I don't want to restrict his water intake at night b/c he gets so thirsty and last night i made sure he went out to pee just before he went to sleep. Making hiM sleep in his crate at night is out of the question, of course!! how could i make him do that after 4yrs of sleeping on HIS big king size bed? :rolleyes:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If the diapers don't work you can us a belly band with an absorbent pad or diaper inside it.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
There is an item called Tinkle Trousers, that stay on and you put a pad or diaper inside. This is great if others don't stay on! You can google it. Hoping Finn will be A-OK -:pray:

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Well, Finn peed again in bed last night and it seems like he is doing it in his sleep. Usually I can detect him walking around in bed and then "positioning" himself to pee (he did this when he was younger), but I haven't noticed this at all so I'm suspecting that these latest accidents occur while he's asleep. We don't get the UA results til tomorrow. I'm worried he's become incontinent. For now, so that I don't have to launder the sheets every day, and b/c I don't like us sleeping in pee(!), I am thinking of looking for some diapers for Finn. I've never had to put a diaper on a dog and wondered if he'll even keep it on? He's fine w/shirts so I'm hoping he'll be cooperative w/a diaper. Anyone have success with diapers and bulldogs?

I put a long post on a thread started by @baxter tiberius (?) I think it was titled "almost 2 and still peeing and pooping in crate." I have used a product called Tinkle Trousers on my boxer. It works great for dogs with short or no tails. It's a garment with straps that fits on the dogs body (girls or boys) and you insert a baby disposable diaper and it stays in with Velcro. Anyway, it's comfortable for the dog and easy to put on (once you get used to it). You can get at on line at tinkletrousers.com. At least go there and check it out. Some of the reviewers have used them and the peeing stops. They can't wiggle out of them and they really work.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'd try a belly band first. Selina and Sandi Kenitzer use one on Mickey because the pull ups dont catch all his pee pee. So they use a belly band and the diaper. But since Finn is just having a hard time with his pee pee...I'd go that route first.

Selina says if intereseted contact Wendi Renzhofer Roth on Facebook

[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone, for your comments and feedback. I got the pull up diapers but they sure are small and i think i got the biggest ones (4T-5T). I don't know, i've never had to buy diapers before. I will see if i can improvise them like Boo Boo's mom did, and if not, i'll check out both the belly bands and the tinkle trousers. This has been quite educational!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I put a long post on a thread started by @baxter tiberius (?) I think it was titled "almost 2 and still peeing and pooping in crate." I have used a product called Tinkle Trousers on my boxer. It works great for dogs with short or no tails. It's a garment with straps that fits on the dogs body (girls or boys) and you insert a baby disposable diaper and it stays in with Velcro. Anyway, it's comfortable for the dog and easy to put on (once you get used to it). You can get at on line at tinkletrousers.com. At least go there and check it out. Some of the reviewers have used them and the peeing stops. They can't wiggle out of them and they really work.

I think i may need to try these trousers, Donna. When i looked at the website the trouser looks really complex! I'm sure i'll get the hang of it but does it really stay on,even with a wiggler like Finn? i'm mainly planning to use this when he's asleep at night and he moves around a lot when he sleeps. He doesn't pee when he naps during the day.
Thanks again for the tip!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I think i may need to try these trousers, Donna. When i looked at the website the trouser looks really complex! I'm sure i'll get the hang of it but does it really stay on,even with a wiggler like Finn? i'm mainly planning to use this when he's asleep at night and he moves around a lot when he sleeps. He doesn't pee when he naps during the day.
Thanks again for the tip!

Henny, these tinkle trousers do stay on and they do work. I had some leakage with my boxer, because she was taking steroids and was totally incontinent 24/7 and was peeing gallons! But they can't wiggle out of them and once they get used to them, they are comfortable. They do look complicated, but once you learn how to put them on they're not any more complicated than putting on a harness. As I recall, I think there are instructions on the website. What I'm thinking is that you could measure Finn and figure out what size he would wear. The ones I have are mediums--I have a red one and a khaki one. Mine might be too big for him because Lily was a boxer, but if it turns out that he needs a medium, I'd be happy to give you one of mine. It would save you some money--they are a bit pricey, and I don't need mine anymore.
I don't know if I can find, or if I still even have the instructions they came with. I could put a diaper in before I send it.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This has been quite educational!

Yes it has!! I just read this whole thread and boy I had no idea about all of these, we have great people on here.

I so hope the vet can figure this out, big kisses to Finny. :heart:

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I am still waiting to hear back from the dr. re. Finn's UA.

I'm worried that if he doesn't have a UTI then he must have incontinence. I read this morning that dogs who have had their tails amputated can have a higher risk of incontinence. He has also had a prolapsed urethra in the past plus he is neutered and these are also possible contributors to incontinence. I need to see if medications can help him if this is the case.

He's been peeing at about 2am-ish for the past 2nights in a row and last week, about 3-4 nights. @Donnam has been so kind to give me one of her diapers to try out on Finn. I am feeling really overwhelmed and a little depressed. I think it's a combination of lack of sleep and worry about Finn.

Also, I got totally criticized last night by a jerk on a motorized skate board who told me i was an irresponsible owner for taking my two "uncontrollable" dogs out in public. Finn and Tate go a little bonkers when they see someone on a skateboard and though it's true that i had a hard time walking them b/c they were pulling me so hard when they saw the JERK (I'm being nice here) on his board, how about the other 95% of the time when they do walk well?! :cursing: I know i shouldn't let such things get to me but it did and that plus everything else has made me reach for kleenex a little too much today! :(

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
Awe don't be sad and remember your a great person who loves her dogs and just is trying her hardest to make things better. Take a deep breath and smile because even if somebody was rude to you, he doesn't know anything about you and neither do I other that you are a caring person for your animals. That in my book speaks volumes about you. Smile and enjoy your day and don't let no idiot get you upset. If I were with you I would have had some very interesting words to say to him lol.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Awe don't be sad and remember your a great person who loves her dogs and just is trying her hardest to make things better. Take a deep breath and smile because even if somebody was rude to you, he doesn't know anything about you and neither do I other that you are a caring person for your animals. That in my book speaks volumes about you. Smile and enjoy your day and don't let no idiot get you upset. If I were with you I would have had some very interesting words to say to him lol.

thanks, i do appreciate this! and yes, I did have some "interesting words" and sign language for him :yes:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I am still waiting to hear back from the dr. re. Finn's UA.

I'm worried that if he doesn't have a UTI then he must have incontinence. I read this morning that dogs who have had their tails amputated can have a higher risk of incontinence. He has also had a prolapsed urethra in the past plus he is neutered and these are also possible contributors to incontinence. I need to see if medications can help him if this is the case.

He's been peeing at about 2am-ish for the past 2nights in a row and last week, about 3-4 nights. @Donnam has been so kind to give me one of her diapers to try out on Finn. I am feeling really overwhelmed and a little depressed. I think it's a combination of lack of sleep and worry about Finn.

Also, I got totally criticized last night by a jerk on a motorized skate board who told me i was an irresponsible owner for taking my two "uncontrollable" dogs out in public. Finn and Tate go a little bonkers when they see someone on a skateboard and though it's true that i had a hard time walking them b/c they were pulling me so hard when they saw the JERK (I'm being nice here) on his board, how about the other 95% of the time when they do walk well?! :cursing: I know i shouldn't let such things get to me but it did and that plus everything else has made me reach for kleenex a little too much today! :(

You should have told him he's irresponsible for being a DOUCHE to society. I hope he hit a crack and fell off his stupid skateboard. :sarcastic:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.