Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
So, he said that there's nothing alarming on her X-rays. He will give her a couple of shots to settle her tummy and to hydrate her. She should have lots of water today. He wants me to give her a bland diet of chicken/rice starting tomorrow morning and for a few days. After that, I should feed her maybe 4 or 5 small bland meals a day. Then very slowly transition her back into her regular food. He thinks it's possible she ate something that could have upset her tummy. If she vomits more, gets unusually lethargic, has diarrhea, I should come back to hospital.There is one roundish patch on the xray (right side) that he said is probably intestines. It doesn't show up on the back X-rays, so he doesn't think it's an obstruction.

Thanks everyone! Honestly, I'm still unsettled. I guess I wanted something definitive. How often does an xray not reveal an obstruction? Like is it 50/50...or a rare occurrence?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So, he said that there's nothing alarming on her X-rays. He will give her a couple of shots to settle her tummy and to hydrate her. She should have lots of water today. He wants me to give her a bland diet of chicken/rice starting tomorrow morning and for a few days. After that, I should feed her maybe 4 or 5 small bland meals a day. Then very slowly transition her back into her regular food. He thinks it's possible she ate something that could have upset her tummy.If she vomits more, gets unusually lethargic, has diarrhea, I should come back to hospital.There is one roundish patch on the xray (right side) that he said is probably intestines. It doesn't show up on the back X-rays, so he doesn't think it's an obstruction.

Thanks everyone! Honestly, I'm still unsettled. I guess I wanted something definitive. How often does an xray not reveal an obstruction? Like is it 50/50...or a rare occurrence?

Hugs and prayers she feels better real quick

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Oh Cali! I hope everything works out okay for Bella. I hope she just ate something that disagreed with her and is on the mend. Positive thoughts to you and hugs! Please keep us posted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I was on my phone earlier and did not see this question.... it does happen a lot where the x-ray shows nothing and there is something -- happen twice to members here recently [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION]

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I was on my phone earlier and did not see this question.... it does happen a lot where the x-ray shows nothing and there is something -- happen twice to members here recently @nycbullymama and @TyTysmom

So, should I go to my regular vet tomorrow regardless if she vomits breakfast or not? That's very scary. Should I go and ask for that other xray or ultrasound?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I would wait and see how she does tomorrow. If she starts to get lethargic or drooling or any other signs , I would bring her right back in. Fingers crossed all is quiet tomorrow

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@calidoll - ugh. So upset to hear about sweet Bella! X-rays are great, but not for dense things, like paper, cloth, socks (errr) - I read the whole thread, you're doing everything great so far. I would give it a day or two and see how her eating/pooping goes. Watch those closely... (If she vomits or poop inspect it all) If she did eat something it could be bouncing around in there, and she may be able to vomit it or poop it out (praying) if she continues to vomit, and starts to show signs of being lethargic - at that point I would push for a barium swallow. That's the only thing that caught it for us. The barium is also good to help settle the belly & intestines as it acts like a coat, and if the item is small, it can also help move it out. I hate you are dealing with this, but I know Bella has the best momma & you'll do anything for her, I don't know how pricing varies by state but the barium ran us about $450 - please please keep us updated!
Forgot to add - we went through 5 sets of X-rays & 3 ultrasounds - nothing caught it. Do you happen to the the X-rays?? Can you post if so - I want to see that area they said is "in question" - as that's what they told us and that area ending up being the last sock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yep, the x-ray missed the squeaker Blue swallowed so they sent him home after giving him two shots (for vomiting and nausea)

We had to come back the next morning for the radiologist to read it and even he didn't see it on the x-ray.
Since we knew he swallowed the squeaker, we insisted on an ultrasound and that's where they saw it.

We got lucky, they managed to get it out via an endoscopy.

But, the vet on call that night was a total ***. He made me feel like a moron- that Blue must have pooped it out even though I knew he didn't. Like I was just being paranoid. So if she's still throwing up tomorrow, take her back and have them take the next step which I believe is an ultrasound, and make sure a radiologist reads it.

edited to add: we weren't offered a barium x-ray. i have no idea why it's not more common? the price isn't all that much more than an ultrasound.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Jessica!! That info is so helpful, thank you! I have a CD with pictures of the xray, but I have no way of posting them right now. I will try to get it done tomorrow.

5 xrays and 3 ultrasounds! OMG! I'm so glad you got it figured out. I can't think of any way Bella would have been able to get ahold of anything cloth-like. If anything, it would be something small like a rock, mulch, etc. Those types of things would show up on xray, right?

She's been sleeping since we got back, but neither of us got much sleep last night, so I can see how she'd be sleepy. I hope this isn't lethargy, but normal fatigue.

I understand that I overthink things. I've been this way my whole life, so I apologize in advance. :). But, I have free office visits at Bella's vet, so I'm wondering if there's any harm at all in just taking her in to see what they say. I guess I'll feed her breakfast really early tomorrow and see if she throws up a few hours later...then decide if I'm taking her in.

Jessica, was Ty's poop normal or unusual when he had a blockage? Bella's poop has been totally normal looking (firm, etc).

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Yep, the x-ray missed the squeaker Blue swallowed so they sent him home after giving him two shots (for vomiting and nausea)

We had to come back the next morning for the radiologist to read it and even he didn't see it on the x-ray.
Since we knew he swallowed the squeaker, we insisted on an ultrasound and that's where they saw it.

We got lucky, they managed to get it out via an endoscopy.

But, the vet on call that night was a total ***. He made me feel like a moron- that Blue must have pooped it out even though I knew he didn't. Like I was just being paranoid. So if she's still throwing up tomorrow, take her back and have take the next step which I believe is an ultrasound, and make sure a radiologist reads it.

Oh wow!! A squeaker. Yeah, that's more her speed, too.

So, if she doesn't vomit the chicken/rice, you guys think she's pretty safe? At least safe enough to avoid going back to the doctor?

Thanks again, everyone!!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The night Blue got the nausea/vomiting shots, I was told that if it is an obstruction, the meds. won't help.. he'll still continue throwing up. The vet was right about that, Blue still threw up.

Blue had a partial obstruction, the squeaker just kept moving around in his stomach and for whatever reason, he was only throwing up late at night, after his dinner. No idea why..

Each bulldog is different. Give it a day or so, give her the small bland meals and see how she does. But if she throw up again, I'd take her back in.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Jessica!! That info is so helpful, thank you! I have a CD with pictures of the xray, but I have no way of posting them right now. I will try to get it done tomorrow.

5 xrays and 3 ultrasounds! OMG! I'm so glad you got it figured out. I can't think of any way Bella would have been able to get ahold of anything cloth-like. If anything, it would be something small like a rock, mulch, etc. Those types of things would show up on xray, right?

She's been sleeping since we got back, but neither of us got much sleep last night, so I can see how she'd be sleepy. I hope this isn't lethargy, but normal fatigue.

I understand that I overthink things. I've been this way my whole life, so I apologize in advance. :). But, I have free office visits at Bella's vet, so I'm wondering if there's any harm at all in just taking her in to see what they say. I guess I'll feed her breakfast really early tomorrow and see if she throws up a few hours later...then decide if I'm taking her in.

Jessica, was Ty's poop normal or unusual when he had a blockage? Bella's poop has been totally normal looking (firm, etc).

Yes, please post them or PM me them, really want to see them. I'm not doctor for sure but I've seen so many with him that I know the anatomy and what's where, what gas looks like, etc.

With regards to being lethargic - I believe it's something you will pick up on right away knowing your baby and her habits. We have routines here & in the morning Tyson will get up with daddy early for his breakfast, daddy gets coffee, he goes out to pee then they sit and watch sports together. When he was sick, he wouldn't move from his bed. We had to drag him out with treats or food. He didn't wanna walk, normally he's with us while we're up and watching tv, while he was sick he would take himself to bed, even if it was early. I knew right away something wasn't right.

Yes, bc he was not "blocked" his poop was normal.... The socks were in there but the food must have been able to get by sometimes - bc other times he would vomit the food up. I think it just depended on the socks positions (he had 3 in there) he ended up vomiting 2 but it was nearly a month after we suspect he ate them.

Rocks would show up, mulch not sure that could too dense too. A stuffed animal would be dense too. If she continues vomiting I would go to next step, the problem we had is they keep treating him for nausea, giving him shots and such which would just suppress it.

I hope she clears up & starts to feel better by tomorrow, but if should have to do barium - I'll give you the quick rundown - they will have her swallow the barium - then they do a series of X-rays to see how the barium is moving. The barium glows on X-ray. If the dog is blocked it will stop - not move through the intestines - if there is something in the belly, the barium will surround it & highlight it. They prefer to do it on an empty stomach for best results - if she is fine & has nothing she will just poop the barium out - no problem. If all you've done is X-ray so far, maybe an ultrasound next...use barium as final if nothing else finds anything and she continues to be sick. Could also be inflamed belly or intestines if not something she ate...

We're all here for you - ask anything - I'm here for you with anything I know through our experiences & we're praying for you!!! Sorry for the long reply

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Yes, please post them or PM me them, really want to see them. I'm not doctor for sure but I've seen so many with him that I know the anatomy and what's where, what gas looks like, etc.

With regards to being lethargic - I believe it's something you will pick up on right away knowing your baby and her habits. We have routines here & in the morning Tyson will get up with daddy early for his breakfast, daddy gets coffee, he goes out to pee then they sit and watch sports together. When he was sick, he wouldn't move from his bed. We had to drag him out with treats or food. He didn't wanna walk, normally he's with us while we're up and watching tv, while he was sick he would take himself to bed, even if it was early. I knew right away something wasn't right.

Yes, bc he was not "blocked" his poop was normal.... The socks were in there but the food must have been able to get by sometimes - bc other times he would vomit the food up. I think it just depended on the socks positions (he had 3 in there) he ended up vomiting 2 but it was nearly a month after we suspect he ate them.

Rocks would show up, mulch not sure that could too dense too. A stuffed animal would be dense too. If she continues vomiting I would go to next step, the problem we had is they keep treating him for nausea, giving him shots and such which would just suppress it.

I hope she clears up & starts to feel better by tomorrow, but if should have to do barium - I'll give you the quick rundown - they will have her swallow the barium - then they do a series of X-rays to see how the barium is moving. The barium glows on X-ray. If the dog is blocked it will stop - not move through the intestines - if there is something in the belly, the barium will surround it & highlight it. They prefer to do it on an empty stomach for best results - if she is fine & has nothing she will just poop the barium out - no problem. If all you've done is X-ray so far, maybe an ultrasound next...use barium as final if nothing else finds anything and she continues to be sick. Could also be inflamed belly or intestines if not something she ate...

We're all here for you - ask anything - I'm here for you with anything I know through out experiences & we're praying for you!!! Sorry for the long reply

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! I appreciate it so much!

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hi! Thanks for checking. :) This morning she is almost back to her normal self, behavior-wise. I decided to go to the doctor's office to get my allergy shot first and then come back to feed her, since I don't want to leave her after she eats. I don't want to miss any vomiting (if it happens).

Anyway, I'll be back home in 10 minutes and then I'll feed her. I will, of course, keep you all updated.

ETA: she had water before bed and, thankfully, she didn't throw up at all last night.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online