Jeep2me

Apr 21, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
Hello Everyone,
We finally brought our little guy home today!!! :):):):) We couldn't be happier and he seems like an awesome little puppy! I have a couple questions, and as always any advise is certainly appreciated. The breeder who who purchased our puppy from was awesome. She is a breeder/dog show particapant/ dog groomer/ lover of all bully's! She had our puppy vet checked twice and has provided us with documents. She said no issues have been shown for heart, lungs, hips, pallate, etc. I do however have two concerns: 1) Our puppy seems to have wide set hind legs witch cause his body to switch back and forth while walking. His hind legs also give out sometimes after playing for a bit. He is 10 weeks old so I am thinking he will grow into his legs/they will get stronger and there may be no issue here. Has anybody experienced this with their bully pup? 2) He is sort of wheezing/snorting alot. I know this is kind of common with the breed and most flat faced breeds in general--however, should I be concerned with this issue, or am I being overly concerned?

Our breeder is requiring we take our pup to the vet within a week and of course offering a free refund if anything is found to be an issue. Again, please let me know of any of your experiences and if I am just being an overly concerned new bully owner! Thanks! Also, pictures soon to come of the little guy :):)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hello Everyone,
We finally brought our little guy home today!!! :):):):) We couldn't be happier and he seems like an awesome little puppy! I have a couple questions, and as always any advise is certainly appreciated. The breeder who who purchased our puppy from was awesome. She is a breeder/dog show particapant/ dog groomer/ lover of all bully's! She had our puppy vet checked twice and has provided us with documents. She said no issues have been shown for heart, lungs, hips, pallate, etc. I do however have two concerns: 1) Our puppy seems to have wide set hind legs witch cause his body to switch back and forth while walking. His hind legs also give out sometimes after playing for a bit. He is 10 weeks old so I am thinking he will grow into his legs/they will get stronger and there may be no issue here. Has anybody experienced this with their bully pup? 2) He is sort of wheezing/snorting alot. I know this is kind of common with the breed and most flat faced breeds in general--however, should I be concerned with this issue, or am I being overly concerned?

Our breeder is requiring we take our pup to the vet within a week and of course offering a free refund if anything is found to be an issue. Again, please let me know of any of your experiences and if I am just being an overly concerned new bully owner! Thanks! Also, pictures soon to come of the little guy :):)

Congrats on your new pup! Pictures please!! :D

At 10 weeks, puppies are gonna be "sloppy" in their movements. When we got Blue at 8 weeks, we never thought he would learn to walk properly but he did..lol.. I will say this, if you don't have carpeting or rugs, get a few rug runners for now. It's easier on your pup and he won't be slipping and sliding as much.

When you say your breeder said he has no issues for heart, lungs, hips, pallate- all I can say is she'd have no clue on whether or not the palate is an issue. It's not something that can be diagnosed unless they're under anesthesia. There's also no way to diagnose the hips without x-rays. So unless she's put him under anesthesia, and had his palate checked and hips x-ray'd, she can't know.

If he were a little older and had the wheezing issue after play, eating or drinking I'd say palate. But since he's very young, I would definitely get him to the vet to make sure there's no respiratory problems. Wheezing at this age, even for a bulldog puppy isn't normal as far as I know. But I'm going to tag some people that have bred bulldogs and have much more puppy experience @bullmama @Davidh @ddnene

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Congrats on your new pup! Pictures please!! :D

At 10 weeks, puppies are gonna be "sloppy" in their movements. When we got Blue at 8 weeks, we never thought he would learn to walk properly but he did..lol.. I will say this, if you don't have carpeting or rugs, get a few rug runners for now. It's easier on your pup and he won't be slipping and sliding as much.

When you say your breeder said he has no issues for heart, lungs, hips, pallate- all I can say is she'd have no clue on whether or not the palate is an issue. It's not something that can be diagnosed unless they're under anesthesia. There's also no way to diagnose the hips without x-rays. So unless she's put him under anesthesia, and had his palate checked and hips x-ray'd, she can't know.

If he were a little older and had the wheezing issue after play, eating or drinking I'd say palate. But since he's very young, I would definitely get him to the vet to make sure there's no respiratory problems. Wheezing at this age, even for a bulldog puppy isn't normal as far as I know. But I'm going to tag some people that have bred bulldogs and have much more puppy experience @bullmama @Davidh @ddnene

I agree, great advice above. The vet can check the hard pallet, usually of hard pallet is not too long and is correct size the soft is too. The hips can be tested to see if they are tight with a pull back motion, but as Ellie stated, that only says they are tight, doesn't mean there is no hip problems, but it Greatly reduces the chances of any. Loose hips are a very commonly bred issue in EBD and can cause huge problems later in life.

I would love to see a video clip walking if you could get one? That is the only way I could truly tell if something is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] ooooh.. I didn't know how the hard palate correlates to an elongated soft palate. Great info!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] ooooh.. I didn't know how the hard palate correlates to an elongated soft palate. Great info!!

That is what my vet tells me, he says they can also be shorter than normal which causes the opposite problem. Now when they are younger much MUCH more of the pallet is visible, but the only problem with that is that can all change in just weeks depending on the growth of, well... Everything!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
That is what my vet tells me, he says they can also be shorter than normal which causes the opposite problem. Now when they are younger much MUCH more of the pallet is visible, but the only problem with that is that can all change in just weeks depending on the growth of, well... Everything!

hmm.. I guess that's why I was told they need to be put under anesthesia. They were 4 months (for Blue) and 13 months (Wellie) when I asked about the palate.
Good info. thanks for sharing.

OP
J

Jeep2me

Apr 21, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
20150424_181330.jpg20150424_182641.jpg20150424_184433.jpg20150424_185126.jpg

Here he is!

OP
J

Jeep2me

Apr 21, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
20150424_205032.jpg20150424_210005.jpg20150424_210008.jpg

Here are some pics of his hind legs...I dont know if you can see anything just from the pics--i will try to get a video later...I hope he's fine...we already love him so much!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He is still growing and will go through many changes for awhile. The pics of his rear look normal to me for a pup that age. Plus a good bully vet can check the palate without anesthesia, ours do it all the time. I wouldn't worry too much at the moment until he gets at last 6 months or older. They can also check the hips to see if they are on the loose side as Lisa has said, but it doesn't guarantee no hip displasia. Only when they get a little older and an x-ray will tell for sure.

OP
J

Jeep2me

Apr 21, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
Thank you everyone for the info. Last night was a little rough with his first night in the crate...but he is overall an awesome little guy!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
J

Jeep2me

Apr 21, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
We is an awesome little guy, and he has already brought us so many smiles with I'm sure many more to come!

bigrod48

Jan 7, 2013
NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Cute pup. Makes me want to get another one for companionship for mines

oldbaystyle

Feb 5, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
View attachment 86623View attachment 86624View attachment 86625

Here are some pics of his hind legs...I dont know if you can see anything just from the pics--i will try to get a video later...I hope he's fine...we already love him so much!

The rear looks the same as Duchess did at that age. And she had the same issue at 8 weeks -- her legs would give out after playing. She was so clumsy, especially on the kitchen floor. I wouldn't worry, but I am no expert. She did much better on carpet; good advice above on getting runners, etc.

Enjoy!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.