cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Another bulldog with some skin problems.

I was petting Finn yesterday and noticed a very hard, stiff patch of fur/skin below his neck, and then again closer to the chest. At first I thought it was a layer of dirt so i started cleaning it with witch hazel then I saw there was some redness below the hairs. He's not bothered by it and doesn't attempt to reach or lick at it.

I took a pic of it last night:

skinfinn.jpg

I was wondering if him playing so rough w/his Varsity Ball had anything to do with it; maybe the constant rubbing against his body? :confused:

I'm going to be calling the vet today and hopefully get him checked out soon but wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Hard to say really, if nothing in his diet or surrounding has changed or if he didn't have any skin problems last year at this time....it could very well be caused by rubbing...good thing is that it isn't bothering him.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Is it just in that area, no where else? Is that the area where he tends to play with his ball? Could just be an irritation. Tyson gets random things like that from time to time. So weird. I just clean, and treat for a few days with some ointment (neosporin) then it goes away. There's no telling with these babies, could be a bite? But if you don't see it spreading or in multiple areas, may not being anything to worry about.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm not sure what this could be, but agree with others that it could just be an irritation, or a bug bite. You could try treating it with antibiotic cream and observe it for a couple of days, maybe shave the hair around it so you can see the skin more clearly, and be able to put the cream directly on it. If it doesn't improve or clear up in a couple of days, then have the vet check it. I hope it's nothing serious and it clears up quickly.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks guys.

Between Finn and Tate, Finn has always been the one w/skin problems. He itches himself quite a lot and licks his paws, etc...but luckily, this new area like i said, doesn't bother him. This week has been a challenging one for Finn; he's been peeing overnight (in my bed) for the past 3 nights so now I'm also worried he has a UTI or incontinence or ???. Last night was a "triple whammy". Woke up at 2:45am to find the blankets wet with pee, Finn threw up his apple slices in bed, and then he climbed off the bed only to poop on the bedroom floor. I don't know what's going on with him but we're taking a trip to the vet tomorrow.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
thanks guys.

Between Finn and Tate, Finn has always been the one w/skin problems. He itches himself quite a lot and licks his paws, etc...but luckily, this new area like i said, doesn't bother him. This week has been a challenging one for Finn; he's been peeing overnight (in my bed) for the past 3 nights so now I'm also worried he has a UTI or incontinence or ???. Last night was a "triple whammy". Woke up at 2:45am to find the blankets wet with pee, Finn threw up his apple slices in bed, and then he climbed off the bed only to poop on the bedroom floor. I don't know what's going on with him but we're taking a trip to the vet tomorrow.

Oh wow Finnny boy! Yea, I'd be at the vet with all these things. Poor guy, I sure hope the vet has some answers & that its nothing serious. Please keep us posted!

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
Boo had something very similar and it was much bigger than this on your dog. I got medicated shampoo and my vet text me to wash it several times a day when she seen the pic I sent her in regards to it. It actually worked and cleared up. She didn't have it the few days prior which is why I was so surprised when she had gotten it. I also started her on some probiotics. The doc said based on the pics I text her it was probably from her food she was on at that time. Made sure after I washed it that it was dry and just checked on it periodically and then washed it again and so on. Hope it ends up being nothing to hard to take care of.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for that info, [MENTION=13028]boo boo butts mom[/MENTION]. Hopefully I'll get some answers at tomorrow's vet visit. I've changed their food so much that my head starts spinning whenever i think of what to feed them next. Right now they're on Merrick Beef Grain free. I'm thinking in Finn's case, maybe his issues are more environmental but not quite certain.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My kids get a random dry bump on occasion, it goes away if I put some medicine on it, but certainly sounds like he may not be feeling the greatest right now so it's probably related. Allergies are high right now.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
thanks guys.

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear about Finn :( Definitely sounds like something is up, I'm glad that you are taking him to the vets. His hair looks a little thin in that area too does he normally get alopecia?!! Allergies are HORRID right now, so it very well could be environmental. Please keep us posted on poor Finn...

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
I am at a calm with the food lol finally, my mom said trying to figure out a food for her (Boo) is going to be the death of me lol. So after every single no good issue Boo can bring to me about the foods that I spend tons on and only results into me learning more about my dog and her food allergies I am content with the prescription food she eats now. I still haven't gotten myself to like the idea that I need a script for it but I am ever so pleased to see my little girl enjoy it and how it works on her digestive system without causing all the other issues I had gotten from feeding her the other foods. If Boo is happy then I am very happy lol.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor Finn and Momma on the loss of sleep! keep us posted after you vet appointment as something is definitely not right with all you are saying... scabs, pee, vomit and poo. It could all be allergy related if he has more environmental allergies... Nitschke was like that... vomit (foam or some food) and poo were very runny when his allergies would kick in. And, he would get the little scabs around his chest (staph infection) because his immune system would weaken from the allergies.

I hope it is only allergies and nothing serious.

sending lots of hugs and positive thoughts to you and the boys

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION], Finn does have some areas where I've rubbed his hair and some fur comes out. He gets into everything; like when he pees, he has to find the biggest bush and literally climbs into it, then kicks all this dirt all over the place. I wonder if the dirt combined with the rubbing of the varsity ball, if that's all contributing to his skin.

I feel like the mom that doesn't keep her kid clean! :(
I usually just wipe him down with water and baby wipes after he plays, plus I've been putting a tee shirt on him but he still gets so filthy so now I'm thinking i need to bathe him more often.

Oh, and at tomorrow's visit I'm going to ask the vet about Finn's anxiety and see what she thinks of any pharmacologics that might help. Might as well get that discussion opened up too...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@ddnene, Finn does have some areas where I've rubbed his hair and some fur comes out. He gets into everything; like when he pees, he has to find the biggest bush and literally climbs into it, then kicks all this dirt all over the place. I wonder if the dirt combined with the rubbing of the varsity ball, if that's all contributing to his skin.

I feel like the mom that doesn't keep her kid clean! :(
I usually just wipe him down with water and baby wipes after he plays, plus I've been putting a tee shirt on him but he still gets so filthy so now I'm thinking i need to bathe him more often.

Oh, and at tomorrow's visit I'm going to ask the vet about Finn's anxiety and see what she thinks of any pharmacologics that might help. Might as well get that discussion opened up too...

Ugh… maybe his anxiety issues are contributing to the hair loss?!! I know it happens w/people… I'm so sorry, and you are a GREAT MOM :yes4: Seriously we can't keep on top of every little thing that happens, and lets face it when something happens it's usually a mother load of issues!!! And you don't want to restrict him from enjoying the outdoors, this is a tough situation… I hope the vet has some answers for you tomorrow!!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It is allergy season and I bet it's all related to that. I would do the same with our kids and get them in to see the vet and talk with them. I hope everything works itself out, poor little Paddington Bear. :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online