OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Hello bulldog community!

Here is a quick update: Opie is 11 months old. Since he was about 6 months old we noticed his hips would pop everytime he took a step. We couldn't hear them, but we could feel them. We have had him on glucosamine since. We took him to the vet at 8 months and had the doc take a look without doing xrays just to get his oppinion. He said everything felt fine and yes the popping was weird, but not really an indication of displasia. He told us to have the breeders take a feel and see what they say since they know the breed very very well.
I know that sounds off as he is a doctor and should have the ultimate say, but they are very reputatable breeders in the community and truly do know so much about the breed and have seen just about anything. So we did just that. The breeder recommended upping his glucose to three times a day. So we did. But still no change.

Today we had Xrays. And there is a problem. Now see opie never acts in pain so we know he doesn't know he has an issue. But we know. His right hip is half the size as his left. It shows arthritic and displastic tendencies.

I just don't understand how this happens to such a young guy. He isn't over weight and it doesn't run in his bloodline.
Any one have this? How long till your pup started showing symptoms?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about Opie, I don't have experience w/this… but I will tag some members who do.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I'm really sorry to hear about Opie's hip issue! I don't have experience but I know other people here do and will be able to give you some good feedback. Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our girl Banks had very bad hips and was also diagnosed at 8 months old... our vet said the same thing 'very reputable breeder (in fact i got all three of my babies from the same breeder). The vet who examined Banks at that time, told us it was the worst he had seen and could not believe Banks was from this breeder... so he went and called her she was shocked it was the case and could not determine why because it was never in the lines. my point is, it can happen at any point with our babies.

Banks lived a great very full 9 yrs of life! She ran, played, jumped, walked and never showed signs of pain till about the age of 4 maybe 5. We did the glucosamine and managed her activity level to that point. We then moved to pain management with various pills/laser therapy over the years because as she aged her hips and spine were full of arthritis -- still nothing stopped her, but we could see when she should be halted. Our vet told us everytime he looked at her spine/hips on x-ray ... 'any other breed and she would not be able to walk'.

We cried for days when we were first told.... i am not saying it will be the same for Opie, but it could be. Talk with your vet and pay close attention to your boy and you will see signs of when he has had too much activity -- at this point you need to get in tune with him and develop a management plan until you can, if there is, anything, to do medically.

let me know if you have any other questions.

sending lots of love and prayers to you and Opie

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I agree with @2BullyMama - while Tyson doesn't have hip issues, we've been dealing with his joints & such since he's getting older. At one point they told us he has a cruciate ligament tear, and that only surgery would help. He was limping really bad at this point, and we had to pick him up to get him outside. I even went as far as researching a custom leg sling to help him walk & take pressure off the joints....flash forward... We opted out of surgery, and started supplements, turmeric, and holistic treatments - mostly anti-inflammatory bc that's what causes the pain in the joints. We massaged his leg twice daily, did exercises with it, I got him an orthopedic warming bed for winter.... and within 2 weeks the limp was gone. He's much slower to get up, his legs fall asleep so he'll hobble a bit until he warms up the muscle then he's fine. He has his good & bad days, but honestly it doesn't affect him, he's still super happy :)

I had a neighbor who's Lily (bulldog) had pretty bad hip dysplasia. You could definitely see it in her walk, but honestly it didn't affect her. Bulldogs are known for having a very high pain tolerance. Yes, they had to manage it for her, supplements, from time to time pain meds, they also did water therapy & laser therapy. She lived til 9 yrs old just like Banks, walked played, did just fine. While I know the news is devastating, rest assure that there are many options out there to help him, this unfortunately comes with the breed. One of the biggest factors that helps is restricting heavy activity, doesn't mean he can't play or anything, just means don't let him over do it. He has wonderful parents so I know you guys will do everything for him & he will be just fine. Lots of hugs & prayers for Opie!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I agree with @2BullyMama - while Tyson doesn't have hip issues, we've been dealing with his joints & such since he's getting older. At one point they told us he has a cruciate ligament tear, and that only surgery would help. He was limping really bad at this point, and we had to pick him up to get him outside. I even went as far as researching a custom leg sling to help him walk & take pressure off the joints....flash forward... We opted out of surgery, and started supplements, turmeric, and holistic treatments - mostly anti-inflammatory bc that's what causes the pain in the joints. We massaged his leg twice daily, did exercises with it, I got him an orthopedic warming bed for winter.... and within 2 weeks the limp was gone. He's much slower to get up, his legs fall asleep so he'll hobble a bit until he warms up the muscle then he's fine. He has his good & bad days, but honestly it doesn't affect him, he's still super happy :)

I had a neighbor who's Lily (bulldog) had pretty bad hip dysplasia. You could definitely see it in her walk, but honestly it didn't affect her. Bulldogs are known for having a very high pain tolerance. Yes, they had to manage it for her, supplements, from time to time pain meds, they also did water therapy & laser therapy. She lived til 9 yrs old just like Banks, walked played, did just fine. While I know the news is devastating, rest assure that there are many options out there to help him, this unfortunately comes with the breed. One of the biggest factors that helps is restricting heavy activity, doesn't mean he can't play or anything, just means don't let him over do it. He has wonderful parents so I know you guys will do everything for him & he will be just fine. Lots of hugs & prayers for Opie!

Jessica, what do you give TyTy for joint supplement as glucosamine, brand name wise?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would take the Xrays and get a second opinion, I'm a bit surprised at the vet's diagnosis as well as the advice given.

OP
OpieRay

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Thank you so much for all the help.
We did take him for a second opinion and got the same thing.
For now Ope has no pain and we very thankful for that. We hope it takes many years for this to catch up to him.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.