URGENT!!! Bulldog with enteropathy

Jolene94

Apr 21, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site & am desperate to see if anyone else has encountered this problem. My daughters 1year old male bulldog suddenly started having severe diarrhoea she has been back & forth to her vets for almost 2 weeks as antibiotics were not working & he has lost ALOT of weight. The vet is now saying that he thinks he has enteropathy, his protein levels are very very low. The vet has taken a biopsy which he says the results will be back in a couple of days & he has also been given b12 jabs. Please can anyone help? Has anyone experienced this? She is devastated at the thought of losing her "baby" x

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site & am desperate to see if anyone else has encountered this problem. My daughters 1year old male bulldog suddenly started having severe diarrhoea she has been back & forth to her vets for almost 2 weeks as antibiotics were not working & he has lost ALOT of weight. The vet is now saying that he thinks he has enteropathy, his protein levels are very very low. The vet has taken a biopsy which he says the results will be back in a couple of days & he has also been given b12 jabs. Please can anyone help? Has anyone experienced this? She is devastated at the thought of losing her "baby" x

Sorry to hear about this - My Tyson had this as well. Inflammation of the intestines. Is she currently feeding him a bland diet? I would start there - boiled chicken or hamburger & rice. I would also add water to the food so that he stays hydrated, that is very important. The other thing I would reccomend is a probiotic and ASAP. Do you know if she is currently giving him any sort of probiotic? I'm not sure what you have access to in the UK - but I started Tyson on this: which I picked up at our local natural pet store, and I saw improvement in almost a day or two.
Microflora.jpg
This won't hurt him at all, it goes in and re-establishes the good bacteria his body needs to help fight off the bad. This will also help his body absorb the protein from the food. And it should help with his diarrhea. I would try to get something like this ASAP if he' isn't on it now, and start it immediately. I hope & pray that all goes well! We'd love for you to keep us updated on his progress.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Diagnosing protein-losing enteropathy
Certain tests need to be performed to rule out PLE:

• Complete blood count (CBC) to look at the white and red blood cells and platelets
  • Chemistry panel to look at the kidney, liver, and protein levels
  • Electrolytes to look at the calcium, phosphorous, and salt balance (e.g., sodium and potassium)
  • Urinalysis to look for the loss of protein from the kidneys, called protein-losing nephropathy
  • Fecal exam (to rule out intestinal parasites)
  • X-rays of the chest and abdomen to rule out evidence of heart disease, fungal infections, cancer or abnormal fluid accumulation
  • Abdominal ultrasound to measure the size of the intestines and look for evidence of increased lymph nodes, foreign bodies, cancer, etc.
  • Endoscopy to biopsy the stomach, intestines, and rectum (although full-thickness biopsies [which require surgery] are typically necessary to rule out certain types of disease like lymphangiectasia)
  • Surgical exploratory to evaluate all the organs and perform multiple, full-thickness biopsies
Treatment of protein-losing enteropathy
Depending on the results of these tests, treatment often includes deworming (for parasitic infections), antiulcer medication (if gastric ulcers are present), chronic prednisone (for treatment of inflammatory bowel disease), dietary changes to a hypoallergenic or select protein diet for inflammatory bowel disease), procedures to remove the fluid from the chest or abdomen (e.g., thoracocentesis or abdominocentesis), vitamin supplementation, or even surgery.
Even with aggressive treatment, PLE can dramatically shorten the lifespan of your dog. Untreated, PLE can be fatal. When it comes to PLE, the sooner you and your veterinarian identify it, the sooner your dog can begin treatment.
If you have any questions or concerns, you should always visit or call your veterinarian -- they are your best resource to ensure the health and well-being of your pets.
[h=2]Pages[/h]

Related symptoms:
Appetite Changes
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Lethargic
Weight Loss
Blood in Stool
Breathing Problems

[h=3]Share This Article[/h]

[h=3]You May Like[/h]

[h=2][/h]

[h=2]Gastroenteritis in Dogs[/h]

[h=2]Flatulence: Why Does My Dog Smell?[/h]

[h=2]Dogs Poisoned at Dog Show: How Can You Spot the Signs of Poison?[/h]

[h=2]You might also be interested in...[/h]

[h=2]Join our community[/h]
Most popular on Facebook

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=14077]Jolene94[/MENTION]

I forgot to ask you this - have then done xrays & ultrasounds on his belly to make sure he hasn't eaten anything? Like a foreign object? Something foreign can cause enteropahty - Tyson eating socks - caused it. Just forgot to mention that in last post.

OP
J

Jolene94

Apr 21, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Sorry to hear about this - My Tyson had this as well. Inflammation of the intestines. Is she currently feeding him a bland diet? I would start there - boiled chicken or hamburger & rice. I would also add water to the food so that he stays hydrated, that is very important. The other thing I would reccomend is a probiotic and ASAP. Do you know if she is currently giving him any sort of probiotic? I'm not sure what you have access to in the UK - but I started Tyson on this: which I picked up at our local natural pet store, and I saw improvement in almost a day or two.
View attachment 86482
This won't hurt him at all, it goes in and re-establishes the good bacteria his body needs to help fight off the bad. This will also help his body absorb the protein from the food. And it should help with his diarrhea. I would try to get something like this ASAP if he' isn't on it now, and start it immediately. I hope & pray that all goes well! We'd love for you to keep us updated on his progress.
Hi & thankyou
Yes X-rays & ultra sounds have been done & nothing showed up... The diarrhea is very severe & he has lost so much weight his backbone is protruding, she has tried him with chicken & rice & also fish, he still has his appetite but nothing is staying in his stomach we are so so worried . Thankyou for pro biotic tip telephoning pet stores now to see if they stock any food like it x

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi & thankyou
Yes X-rays & ultra sounds have been done & nothing showed up... The diarrhea is very severe & he has lost so much weight his backbone is protruding, she has tried him with chicken & rice & also fish, he still has his appetite but nothing is staying in his stomach we are so so worried . Thankyou for pro biotic tip telephoning pet stores now to see if they stock any food like it x

Poor baby. By the way, the probiotic is a pill or powder. Its not a food. You are going to add it to his food. These that I posted are pills - if he does well with pills you can give it that way or you can open the capsule and mix in with food. Ask for any probiotic, with digestive enzymes in it as well.The combo of the two will be even better. If you can find some today, add it to his next meal. Also if you have access to plain regular canned pumpkin. Add a bit to the chicken/rice bland diet. **keep him hydrated - whatever it takes, ice, water, water in food, coconut water** that is very critical.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hi & thankyou

You have been given some great advice by [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] … I just wanted to add that they can do a barium x-ray, and we have had members that had this done and it showed that their bully actually had something in their stomach/intestines. [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

OP
J

Jolene94

Apr 21, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thankyou, will try anything at the moment. He has been in the vets since Saturday & still isn't getting any better, they are letting him come home for a couple of days until his biopsy results come back, my daughter is picking him up as we speak. I spoke to the vet earlier & he was saying that the outlook isn't looking great totally devastated doesnt even come close.. Keeping everything crossed that some kind of miracle will happen x

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thankyou, will try anything at the moment. He has been in the vets since Saturday & still isn't getting any better, they are letting him come home for a couple of days until his biopsy results come back, my daughter is picking him up as we speak. I spoke to the vet earlier & he was saying that the outlook isn't looking great totally devastated doesnt even come close.. Keeping everything crossed that some kind of miracle will happen x

I am SO SORRY :( sending you guys LOTS of prayers, and please keep us posted!!!

OP
J

Jolene94

Apr 21, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thankyou, he has already had the barium done & X-rays & ultrasounds, absolutely nothing showed up. He has had an endoscopy & that's what biopsy results we are waiting for, should be back within 48hrs as vet has requested urgent. X

- - - Updated - - -

OP
J

Jolene94

Apr 21, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thankyou & yes I will x

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thankyou, he has already had the barium done & X-rays & ultrasounds, absolutely nothing showed up. He has had an endoscopy & that's what biopsy results we are waiting for, should be back within 48hrs as vet has requested urgent. X

- - - Updated - - -

Get him on the probiotics ASAP - we are all praying for him, what is his name?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you have an emergency vet clinic in your area? The may be able to get results back quicker then 48 hours, time is of the essence I would think. It's definitely something life threatening and it seems strange that they would make you wait 2 full days.

OP
J

Jolene94

Apr 21, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thankyou & his names Mr Wilson x
Will let you know if vet says anymore, nothing has shown up on any tests at present, we are waiting for biopsy results & are just being told that his protein levels are extremely dangerously low, & that obviously his body is leaking back the protein into his system that should be digested & stored. X

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.