bullybinman

Apr 17, 2015
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson
Hi folks!

Apologies for this being my first post but a really need some help with my English bulldog Wilson.

For around 6 months we've been struggling with these itchy circular red bald patches. They pop up and seem to spread over his body rather quickly, when I see a raised area of hair I can pull it out without any effort, underneath it looks all red and angry and there is a scab/dry skin like residue around the Base of the hair.

I've been to the vets several times, they thought fungal and prescribed imavrol and antibiotics. This seemed to do the trick, no more spreading and the spots grew back (though much darker than before)

Around a month later they started again, the vet prescribed the same thing and it went away. Now it has just happened again for a third time and I'm so upset! It's been months of pretty much sterelizing the house every day to stop the fungal infection spreading and it's happened again! To top it all off the tests the vet sent off came back as negative for a fungal infection so I'm not even sure what's the problem now!

sorry to go on, any help anyone can give would be so appreciated!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Can you post pics?

It could be absolutely anything. It definitely sounds like either allergies, or a secondary infection due to allergies. Thing is, it could be food, or it could be environmental. It's allergy season now actually.

If your vet can't figure it out, go see a dermatologist (vet). They'll be able to help.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Can you post pics?

It could be absolutely anything. It definitely sounds like either allergies, or a secondary infection due to allergies. Thing is, it could be food, or it could be environmental. It's allergy season now actually.

If your vet can't figure it out, go see a dermatologist (vet). They'll be able to help.
[MENTION=14051]bullybinman[/MENTION]
Agree - could be allergies. What are you feeding?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree please post some pics… it could definitely be allergies

OP
B

bullybinman

Apr 17, 2015
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson
Yep, here you go, the one on the back is a couple days old and the tail just happened/got found. they never bleed but do itch really bad.

He's on James Wellbeloved food, I always thought that was a good one for allergies.

Thanks for all your help and for taking the time to chat with me about this.

Attachments

• 1429302038385-634528363.jpg
    1429302038385-634528363.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 183
  • 14293021311051904994611.jpg
    14293021311051904994611.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 170

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@bullybinman

Based on my own experience, Blue had something similar, albeit on a smaller scale. It was a skin infection caused by allergies. The dermatologist put him on a skin antibiotic (simplicef) for 21 days, it cleared up and never came back.

I don't wanna say that's what your bullie has, but I'm going to reiterate and say go to a vet dermatologist and have them check it out. Your vet should be able to give you a referral.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
did the vet do a skin scrape to rule out mange?

i tagged two UK members... to give other food options

OP
B

bullybinman

Apr 17, 2015
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson
Thank you, I've always thought it was good food But I'm always open to suggestions

The vet did a scraping and ran tests for fungal infection and dust mites. I'm not sure about mange, I'll have to ask, would that have shown up in a test for mites?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you, I've always thought it was good food But I'm always open to suggestions

The vet did a scraping and ran tests for fungal infection and dust mites. I'm not sure about mange, I'll have to ask, would that have shown up in a test for mites?

Yes,,,mites = mange

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

It is a good food, just may not agree with your baby. There is another on that Jimmy use for his three bullies and I can not think of it. He will be along to let you know.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hi [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=14051]bullybinman[/MENTION]
science plan
burns
wainwrights grain free (what i use)
james wellbeloved

your using a top quaility food ...every dog is different and sometimes it just dont agree with your baby.
i would change slowly to something above, i would also get coconut oil, this is great for dogs coat, you can get 2x500m tubs for 6 quid on ebay. take a scoop out and melt in the microwave, add water and add to the kibble.

type coconut and dogs in utube, the one you want is a woman vet, she will tell you all the benifits you get by using it,

OP
B

bullybinman

Apr 17, 2015
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson
Just wanted to give everyone an update.

We've been to see the vet (different one this time) who has sent away some cultures to look for a fungal or bacterial problem. In the meantime he has prescribed imavrol to get things under control. hopefully something comes back to let us know what we're dealing with.

in the meantime, going under the assumption of an allergy I'll try changing food and also washing powder one at a time to try and narrow down what's causing the issue.

Thanks for everyone's advice, I'll keep the thread updated

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just wanted to give everyone an update.

We've been to see the vet (different one this time) who has sent away some cultures to look for a fungal or bacterial problem. In the meantime he has prescribed imavrol to get things under control. hopefully something comes back to let us know what we're dealing with.

in the meantime, going under the assumption of an allergy I'll try changing food and also washing powder one at a time to try and narrow down what's causing the issue.

Thanks for everyone's advice, I'll keep the thread updated

Best of luck -- please keep us posted

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.