RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Glad she's going to be OK. One thing though...you said that prednisone lowers pH in urine and when ever the pH balance is off balance for a period of time there can develope bladder stones. Bladder stones most definedly cause blood in urine. Urate stones are not visible in X-ray...

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
So Glad your Baby is going to be ok. Prayers and Loads Of Kisses to Mitilda

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
FINALLY, the culture came back today! It's just a UTI!! Our vet is closed on Sundays and her behavior has still been fine, no more accidents since the one, but there was more blood in her urine. We just got back from picking up antibiotics! I'm so relieved. It's really strange to me that we caught it early enough that she has no other symptoms but still had blood in her urine? You would think that blood in the urine would only happen once the infection has really developed??

Anyway, just gave her her first dosage! She'll be on it twice a day for 20 days - which seems like a very long time to me. She's been on pred for a while now for allergies and we have to stop that as Vet says pred often causes UTIs because it lowers acidity in the urine (or something). So she will be itchy but she'll be okay. We started Atopica like a month ago so *hopefully* that will work and keep her allergies under control now!

:whew: so hope the Atopica kicks in -- I also hate the pred !!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Oh no. Matilda refused her breakfast just now. This has NEVER happened. I called the vet I'm waiting for them to call me back. Could the antibiotic be hurting her tummy? She's been on it almost a week now.

She keeps walking up to her food, sniffing, and walking away. I even put a little ice pop (we make her special ones that she loves) on it! Now what's going on?!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh no. Matilda refused her breakfast just now. This has NEVER happened. I called the vet I'm waiting for them to call me back. Could the antibiotic be hurting her tummy? She's been on it almost a week now.

She keeps walking up to her food, sniffing, and walking away. I even put a little ice pop (we make her special ones that she loves) on it! Now what's going on?!

Antibiotics do mess w/their tummies… can you add some yogurt to it?!! Or maybe some warm water to see if that peaks her interest?!!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Antibiotics do mess w/their tummies… can you add some yogurt to it?!! Or maybe some warm water to see if that peaks her interest?!!

I do have yogurt but those ice pops are literally her favorite thing - this one is apple flavored! If that won't do it, I don't think anything will.

It's so strange because I gave her a pill pocket with her antibiotic, Atopica, and last dose of pred (we weaned her off it, as per vet instructions) and she ate that fine as always, then one second later I poured her food and she wouldn't eat it? Like, the antibiotic wouldn't have instantaneously made her sick?

And she's been on it I think since Monday and eating fine?

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Wishing you luck that this is all temporary side effects of the antibiotics.
I'm so glad to hear it but isn't it weird that it's affecting her 5 days in??

She just refused a cookie. She's laying next to it all sad but won't eat it. Aghhh vet needs to call me soon :(

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Ok so our normal vet isn't there today. The fill in called and said it's most definitely the antibiotic BUT the strain of bacteria her bladder infection is is pretty much resistant to every other kind so he doesn't want to switch her. She recommended chicken and rice and pepsid.

I was getting the chicken out when Til started eating a little bit!! Yay! I hope this means her poor tummy is settling :(

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ok so our normal vet isn't there today. The fill in called and said it's most definitely the antibiotic BUT the strain of bacteria her bladder infection is is pretty much resistant to every other kind so he doesn't want to switch her. She recommended chicken and rice and pepsid.

I was getting the chicken out when Til started eating a little bit!! Yay! I hope this means her poor tummy is settling :(

Sounds like good advice… the chicken and rice should get her appetite going!!!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
She's okay now! It was just the antibiotics. The night before I actually had forgotten to give her the antibiotic when she ate dinner - I gave it to her a little after with a cookie - and I think she needed more to eat with it. Doing just fine now! :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hppy that Matilda is doing better-and eating!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.