Help Needed! Blood in Urine?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
So Matilda had a little blood in her urine today which freaked me out and off to the vet we went.

We're waiting on her culture results but the obvious answer would be a UTI. Her urinalysis didn't show anything except red blood cells. However, Til's had many UTIs and when she has them, she has to go constantly and has accidents. She's been completely normal behaviorally.

Vet also x-rayed her for kidney stones. Nope.

So while I wait the few days for the culture, if it isn't a UTI, what else could it cause blood in urine?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Not all bladder or kidney stones are visible with X-ray (I have no idea why all vets don't know this), so for that reason she should also have an ultra sound.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I hope Matilda is doing okay… keep us posted!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
so hope she feels better soon and they find out what is causing the issue ---- keep us posted

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Awwwe - I sure hope its just a UTI, and some meds will clear her up - please like others said, keep us posted!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Her behavior is still fine, although she had an accident last night - which actually made me feel a little better - it definitely seems like a UTI now!.

But she doesn't seem to be in any pain or going frequently. There was more blood in her urine today though. Agh, just waiting on that culture now :(

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Her behavior is still fine, although she had an accident last night - which actually made me feel a little better - it definitely seems like a UTI now!.

But she doesn't seem to be in any pain or going frequently. There was more blood in her urine today though. Agh, just waiting on that culture now :(

Some antibiotics should help her feel better… poor baby :(

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hoping she will get better soon.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

I'm glad she's not in visible pain, but I wonder if vaginitis could cause this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How is Matilda doing?!! Did you hear back from that culture?!! [MENTION=5755]hnhammond[/MENTION]

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
How is Matilda doing?!! Did you hear back from that culture?!! @hnhammond

FINALLY, the culture came back today! It's just a UTI!! Our vet is closed on Sundays and her behavior has still been fine, no more accidents since the one, but there was more blood in her urine. We just got back from picking up antibiotics! I'm so relieved. It's really strange to me that we caught it early enough that she has no other symptoms but still had blood in her urine? You would think that blood in the urine would only happen once the infection has really developed??

Anyway, just gave her her first dosage! She'll be on it twice a day for 20 days - which seems like a very long time to me. She's been on pred for a while now for allergies and we have to stop that as Vet says pred often causes UTIs because it lowers acidity in the urine (or something). So she will be itchy but she'll be okay. We started Atopica like a month ago so *hopefully* that will work and keep her allergies under control now!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
FINALLY, the culture came back today! It's just a UTI!! Our vet is closed on Sundays and her behavior has still been fine, no more accidents since the one, but there was more blood in her urine. We just got back from picking up antibiotics! I'm so relieved. It's really strange to me that we caught it early enough that she has no other symptoms but still had blood in her urine? You would think that blood in the urine would only happen once the infection has really developed??

Anyway, just gave her her first dosage! She'll be on it twice a day for 20 days - which seems like a very long time to me. She's been on pred for a while now for allergies and we have to stop that as Vet says pred often causes UTIs because it lowers acidity in the urine (or something). So she will be itchy but she'll be okay. We started Atopica like a month ago so *hopefully* that will work and keep her allergies under control now!

Yeayyyy!!!! Such wonderful news!!!! Glad she's off the pred too, that isn't really great for long term. Hugs for you Matilda! :whew:

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Yeayyyy!!!! Such wonderful news!!!! Glad she's off the pred too, that isn't really great for long term. Hugs for you Matilda! :whew:

Seriously, I'm sooo sick of her being on pred so often, that's why we are trying Atopica. If she would just stop scratching herself to pieces... agh these bullie allergies :(

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Seriously, I'm sooo sick of her being on pred so often, that's why we are trying Atopica. If she would just stop scratching herself to pieces... agh these bullie allergies :(

I've heard pretty good things about Atopica, hope its exactly what she needs!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Oh good… well NOT good for the UTI, but glad that it's not too serious. Hope Matlida is feeling better :daisy:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online