Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
Hi everyone,

Lola has recently gotten cherry eye in both eyes. But it comes and goes, usually within an hour. It pops out and as soon as she has a rest it goes back in. Can anyone tell me at what point the Vet would deal with it. Will they fix it if it's not popped out permanently? Can they even do that?? We do plan to have her spayed and it sounds like a lot of people would have this issue fixed at the same time so as to not have to put them under any more than necessary. I don't mind waiting to have her spayed as there is no risk of her getting pregnant ( she is never loose or off leash around other dogs and our boy is neutered) if they won't fix her eyes until it's always popped out. I just like having a plan in place. Any answers or input from people who have already dealt with this would be greatly appreciated.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I don't know if I would have it done if they go back in. But how long has she had it?

Blue got it in his first eye when he was about 4 months old. At first, it would also pop out, but we always massaged it back in. Then when he was about 7 or 9 months old (can't remember) his other eye got it.
At that point, we couldn't get the first one in anymore and had both done.

I know for a lot of bullies, they always go back in. But for others, they eventually stay out.. tough to say what to do.

Speak with the vet and see what they recommend.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Here's what I was told today by Abbott's optomologist.He said if it pops out and you can massage it back than leave it.But if it ever doesn't go back in than you must address it.He recommended using Artificial tears as well.Abbott has had this issue about 5 times since his entropian surgeries.It looks nasty for sure.

OP
Miss Lola

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
It started about a month ago, but it doesn't happen all the time. Although it is occurring closer together I've noticed. She seems a bit bothered by it, or at least when it first happens. I figure it's probably not that it hurts but that it must affect their vision a bit. It does go back in on its own at this point so I guess we will probably hold off for a bit. And yes it looks terrible, when I look at her I can't help but think she is uncomfortable.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
It started about a month ago, but it doesn't happen all the time. Although it is occurring closer together I've noticed. She seems a bit bothered by it, or at least when it first happens. I figure it's probably not that it hurts but that it must affect their vision a bit. It does go back in on its own at this point so I guess we will probably hold off for a bit. And yes it looks terrible, when I look at her I can't help but think she is uncomfortable.
We are in the same boat as you..Its more frequent now.It is irritating for our poor babies I'm sure.Abbott tries to paw his eye when it does this

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse started around three months and we could massage it back in so we left it as advised as apparently it is not painful for them but then it would not go back in and Ftse was five months when he had his op for it and all is good he only had it in one eye and we don't need to use drops or anything.

OP
Miss Lola

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
The day after I wrote this it popped out and hasn't gone back in. The other eye had been popping out occasionally so now we are going to see if it comes out and stays. I would rather only have to deal with it one time.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
The day after I wrote this it popped out and hasn't gone back in. The other eye had been popping out occasionally so now we are going to see if it comes out and stays. I would rather only have to deal with it one time.

I would do the same, putting them under really scares me

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Have you tried to massage it in or put some eye drops in it? It is really only a slipped out plica semilunaris when it goes in and it becomes a cherry eye when the tear gland underneath becomes infected. The longer it stays out the bigger the change of it becoming infected. When it gets infected it doesn't go in anymore or keeps popping out and is really looking like a cherry.
My younger boy had his other eye operated when he was about 5 months old and the other eye, still at 2,5 years, keeps coming out sometimes when he rubs his face against something. A lot of times it is enough to put some drops in it and raise his chin....and voilá. The older had it too when he was young, but they never got infected and now that his head is bigger they don't even pop out anymore.

OP
Miss Lola

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
Ive tried massaging it and now have been unsuccessful where it worked before. I will try using some drops, thanks for the suggestion. Although it is quite bubbled out and looks like a cherry to me, but does not look infected yet.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.