Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elliot
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy Flea/Tick/ Heartworm Medicine

So today is Elliotss first Vet appointment and I wanted to get some opinions on what is the best Flea/ Tick and heartworm medicine for my baby bully. Elliot is only 8 weeks but see as it is getting warmer here in Ohio I want to be prepared for when he is ready to start taking these medications. Me personally i really dont want to use a pesticide and would like something natural but i see a lot on here about natural not being as affective. My breeder gave me a month supply of Revolution and im wondering if i should try it when hes ready to inquire about something else that will be better for my sensitive pup...I guess they shouldnt let hypochondriacs have bulldogs as im losing sleep over every decision i make.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Flea/Tick/ Heartworm Medicine

Quote Originally Posted by Kmaestas7689 View Post
    So today is Elliotss first Vet appointment and I wanted to get some opinions on what is the best Flea/ Tick and heartworm medicine for my baby bully. Elliot is only 8 weeks but see as it is getting warmer here in Ohio I want to be prepared for when he is ready to start taking these medications. Me personally i really dont want to use a pesticide and would like something natural but i see a lot on here about natural not being as affective. My breeder gave me a month supply of Revolution and im wondering if i should try it when hes ready to inquire about something else that will be better for my sensitive pup...I guess they shouldnt let hypochondriacs have bulldogs as im losing sleep over every decision i make.

LOL - Welcome to the bully life. Tyson is 9yrs old, and I lose sleep constantly if he doesn't feel well - which is currently with some stomach issues, it never ends. We use heartguard & Frontline and only during the hot summer months, due to bugs, and mosquitos at night. During the winter, nothing. He isn't at daycares or parks around other dogs so our concern with fleas isn't high. I'd say try one, and see how he does with it. Just buy the small pack to start.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

3. Likes Kmaestas7689 liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Flea/Tick/ Heartworm Medicine

Heartworm -- i use sentinel, have for years without issue and for flea/tick we use Vectr 3D
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I have used Sentinel, Frontline, Heartgard and now using Advantage Multi for my dogs. Oh my goodness Elliott is absolutely adorable… please post more pics!!! Lol

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

I have used Heartgaurd Plus for 6 years now for heartworm, and believe it or not.....Vegas has never, ever had a flea or tick so I use nothing.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi Kelly, we also use Revolution, and have been for the past 3 years. I have never had any bad experience with it, and no allergy or sensitivity reactions. My two guys have never been sick on this brand, and my own vet owns a EB and she uses it as well.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bulldog Vet in Training 2bulldogsstuff's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Logan and Brett
    Likes (Received)

We use Heartgard Plus.

Real Name
    Caroline
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

I use Revolution for my Jake since he was 4 months

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Likes Kmaestas7689 liked this post
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
    Likes (Received)

I used interceptor then Trifexsis tried Sentinnel once and now I only use Heartguard plus. Years ago I used k9 advantix for flea and tick prevention but I stopped using flea and tick prevention over 2 years ago and haven't had a problem. My vet recommends that I do but I worry about using this stuff and would prefer to go the natural route for fleas and ticks...so far I have used nothing and neither dog has a flea or a tick! A local pet boutique sells an essential oil blend spray for fleas and ticks and I have thought about trying that just to make sure we don' end up with a problem.

i don't like using Heartguard but heartworms are prevalent here in the southeast so I use it. Whenever I do give it I supplement with milk thistle for a week. It detoxes the liver.
    Happiness is looking at your dogs face...and forgetting all your problems

Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by USCgirl81 View Post
    We use Heartgard Plus.
    Hi can you explain more about your dislike of Heartgard Plus please.Mine were on Sentinel but are on Heartgard now.Thank you...now you've got me worried Liver?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevikell View Post
    I used interceptor then Trifexsis tried Sentinnel once and now I only use Heartguard plus. Years ago I used k9 advantix for flea and tick prevention but I stopped using flea and tick prevention over 2 years ago and haven't had a problem. My vet recommends that I do but I worry about using this stuff and would prefer to go the natural route for fleas and ticks...so far I have used nothing and neither dog has a flea or a tick! A local pet boutique sells an essential oil blend spray for fleas and ticks and I have thought about trying that just to make sure we don' end up with a problem.

i don't like using Heartguard but heartworms are prevalent here in the southeast so I use it. Whenever I do give it I supplement with milk thistle for a week. It detoxes the liver.

13. Likes Kmaestas7689 liked this post
    Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Ftse has a yearly needle for heartworm and like Kelly for flea/tick we don't need to use anything so we don't.

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevikell View Post
    What milk thistle supplement do you like to give. Is it one specially for dogs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads