Help Needed! Flea/Tick/ Heartworm Medicine

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I've used Sentinel for years with all my dogs and none of them have any sensitivity issues. We've never even had fleas. Jessica, I quoted you because you really should give Ty heart worm preventative all year.Especially since you live in Houston. I hope I don't sound critical or bossy! Like you, I used to give my dogs HW meds only in the winter too, but now I know it was just lucky that they weren't bitten by a mosquito carrying heart worms during that time. It only takes that one bite without the protection of HW meds. In Dallas, we can have mosquitos anytime, so I know for sure you can in Houston. I've just been thru HW treatment with my rescue dog Jack and it's really tough on everyone (especially Jack!). You don't want to risk it! Your vet should have told you that you need to give them all year.

When I took Winnie for her puppy appointments, the vet gave me one small sized Sentinel (based on her weight at the appointment), then the next month at her next appt., she'd give me another one.

Sorry I should have clarified that I only do the flea/bugs during summer. He does get heartworm (Heartguard) all year round - on the 15th of each month :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Sorry I should have clarified that I only do the flea/bugs during summer. He does get heartworm (Heartguard) all year round - on the 15th of each month :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh good! I didn't want to sound like I was preaching, but you gave me a scare! Having been thru the treatment, I am especially sensitive to HW issue. I've learned more than I ever wanted to know about those awful worms. :whew:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh good! I didn't want to sound like I was preaching, but you gave me a scare! Having been thru the treatment, I am especially sensitive to HW issue. I've learned more than I ever wanted to know about those awful worms. :whew:

Preach all you want, that's what we are all here for - to look out for one another :) thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
LOL - Welcome to the bully life. Tyson is 9yrs old, and I lose sleep constantly if he doesn't feel well - which is currently with some stomach issues, it never ends. We use heartguard & Frontline and only during the hot summer months, due to bugs, and mosquitos at night. During the winter, nothing. He isn't at daycares or parks around other dogs so our concern with fleas isn't high. I'd say try one, and see how he does with it. Just buy the small pack to start.

So you use nothing in the winter months? That makes sense, as of right now he's bundled under a blanket on the couch. Wants nothing to do with the outside world.
When do you start up giving him the medication for summer.?
We start our camping memorial weekend. So I should probly start it about a month before that??

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
I did not read the entire post like I should have haha
Heartgaurd all year, Got it lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.