Help Needed! Flea/Tick/ Heartworm Medicine

Kmaestas7689

Apr 13, 2015
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliot
So today is Elliotss first Vet appointment and I wanted to get some opinions on what is the best Flea/ Tick and heartworm medicine for my baby bully. Elliot is only 8 weeks but see as it is getting warmer here in Ohio I want to be prepared for when he is ready to start taking these medications. Me personally i really dont want to use a pesticide and would like something natural but i see a lot on here about natural not being as affective. My breeder gave me a month supply of Revolution and im wondering if i should try it when hes ready to inquire about something else that will be better for my sensitive pup...I guess they shouldnt let hypochondriacs have bulldogs as im losing sleep over every decision i make. :mellow:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So today is Elliotss first Vet appointment and I wanted to get some opinions on what is the best Flea/ Tick and heartworm medicine for my baby bully. Elliot is only 8 weeks but see as it is getting warmer here in Ohio I want to be prepared for when he is ready to start taking these medications. Me personally i really dont want to use a pesticide and would like something natural but i see a lot on here about natural not being as affective. My breeder gave me a month supply of Revolution and im wondering if i should try it when hes ready to inquire about something else that will be better for my sensitive pup...I guess they shouldnt let hypochondriacs have bulldogs as im losing sleep over every decision i make. :mellow:

LOL - Welcome to the bully life. Tyson is 9yrs old, and I lose sleep constantly if he doesn't feel well - which is currently with some stomach issues, it never ends. We use heartguard & Frontline and only during the hot summer months, due to bugs, and mosquitos at night. During the winter, nothing. He isn't at daycares or parks around other dogs so our concern with fleas isn't high. I'd say try one, and see how he does with it. Just buy the small pack to start.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Heartworm -- i use sentinel, have for years without issue and for flea/tick we use Vectr 3D

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have used Sentinel, Frontline, Heartgard and now using Advantage Multi for my dogs. Oh my goodness Elliott is absolutely adorable… please post more pics!!! Lol :luv:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have used Heartgaurd Plus for 6 years now for heartworm, and believe it or not.....Vegas has never, ever had a flea or tick so I use nothing.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Kelly, we also use Revolution, and have been for the past 3 years. I have never had any bad experience with it, and no allergy or sensitivity reactions. My two guys have never been sick on this brand, and my own vet owns a EB and she uses it as well.

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I use Revolution for my Jake since he was 4 months

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I used interceptor then Trifexsis tried Sentinnel once and now I only use Heartguard plus. Years ago I used k9 advantix for flea and tick prevention but I stopped using flea and tick prevention over 2 years ago and haven't had a problem. My vet recommends that I do but I worry about using this stuff and would prefer to go the natural route for fleas and ticks...so far I have used nothing and neither dog has a flea or a tick! A local pet boutique sells an essential oil blend spray for fleas and ticks and I have thought about trying that just to make sure we don' end up with a problem.

i don't like using Heartguard but heartworms are prevalent here in the southeast so I use it. Whenever I do give it I supplement with milk thistle for a week. It detoxes the liver.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
We use Heartgard Plus.
Hi can you explain more about your dislike of Heartgard Plus please.Mine were on Sentinel but are on Heartgard now.Thank you...now you've got me worried Liver?
I used interceptor then Trifexsis tried Sentinnel once and now I only use Heartguard plus. Years ago I used k9 advantix for flea and tick prevention but I stopped using flea and tick prevention over 2 years ago and haven't had a problem. My vet recommends that I do but I worry about using this stuff and would prefer to go the natural route for fleas and ticks...so far I have used nothing and neither dog has a flea or a tick! A local pet boutique sells an essential oil blend spray for fleas and ticks and I have thought about trying that just to make sure we don' end up with a problem.

i don't like using Heartguard but heartworms are prevalent here in the southeast so I use it. Whenever I do give it I supplement with milk thistle for a week. It detoxes the liver.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse has a yearly needle for heartworm and like Kelly for flea/tick we don't need to use anything so we don't.

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup

What milk thistle supplement do you like to give. Is it one specially for dogs?

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Hi can you explain more about your dislike of Heartgard Plus please.Mine were on Sentinel but are on Heartgard now.Thank you...now you've got me worried Liver?

Sorry I wasn't very clear & didn't mean to worry you. I like Heartguard Plus better than the other choices out there I just don't like having to give the preventative.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
LOL - Welcome to the bully life. Tyson is 9yrs old, and I lose sleep constantly if he doesn't feel well - which is currently with some stomach issues, it never ends. We use heartguard & Frontline and only during the hot summer months, due to bugs, and mosquitos at night. During the winter, nothing. He isn't at daycares or parks around other dogs so our concern with fleas isn't high. I'd say try one, and see how he does with it. Just buy the small pack to start.

I've used Sentinel for years with all my dogs and none of them have any sensitivity issues. We've never even had fleas. Jessica, I quoted you because you really should give Ty heart worm preventative all year.Especially since you live in Houston. I hope I don't sound critical or bossy! Like you, I used to give my dogs HW meds only in the winter too, but now I know it was just lucky that they weren't bitten by a mosquito carrying heart worms during that time. It only takes that one bite without the protection of HW meds. In Dallas, we can have mosquitos anytime, so I know for sure you can in Houston. I've just been thru HW treatment with my rescue dog Jack and it's really tough on everyone (especially Jack!). You don't want to risk it! Your vet should have told you that you need to give them all year.

When I took Winnie for her puppy appointments, the vet gave me one small sized Sentinel (based on her weight at the appointment), then the next month at her next appt., she'd give me another one.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online