Kelly
    Country
    us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Flea/Tick/ Heartworm Medicine

Quote Originally Posted by Christie H View Post
    Hi can you explain more about your dislike of Heartgard Plus please.Mine were on Sentinel but are on Heartgard now.Thank you...now you've got me worried Liver?
    Sorry I wasn't very clear & didn't mean to worry you. I like Heartguard Plus better than the other choices out there I just don't like having to give the preventative.
    Happiness is looking at your dogs face...and forgetting all your problems

Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by minibull View Post
    What milk thistle supplement do you like to give. Is it one specially for dogs?
    I use an alcohol free liquid extract from GNC. Just get the vet to tell you the proper dosage.
    Happiness is looking at your dogs face...and forgetting all your problems

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    LOL - Welcome to the bully life. Tyson is 9yrs old, and I lose sleep constantly if he doesn't feel well - which is currently with some stomach issues, it never ends. We use heartguard & Frontline and only during the hot summer months, due to bugs, and mosquitos at night. During the winter, nothing. He isn't at daycares or parks around other dogs so our concern with fleas isn't high. I'd say try one, and see how he does with it. Just buy the small pack to start.
    I've used Sentinel for years with all my dogs and none of them have any sensitivity issues. We've never even had fleas. Jessica, I quoted you because you really should give Ty heart worm preventative all year.Especially since you live in Houston. I hope I don't sound critical or bossy! Like you, I used to give my dogs HW meds only in the winter too, but now I know it was just lucky that they weren't bitten by a mosquito carrying heart worms during that time. It only takes that one bite without the protection of HW meds. In Dallas, we can have mosquitos anytime, so I know for sure you can in Houston. I've just been thru HW treatment with my rescue dog Jack and it's really tough on everyone (especially Jack!). You don't want to risk it! Your vet should have told you that you need to give them all year.

When I took Winnie for her puppy appointments, the vet gave me one small sized Sentinel (based on her weight at the appointment), then the next month at her next appt., she'd give me another one.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    I've used Sentinel for years with all my dogs and none of them have any sensitivity issues. We've never even had fleas. Jessica, I quoted you because you really should give Ty heart worm preventative all year.Especially since you live in Houston. I hope I don't sound critical or bossy! Like you, I used to give my dogs HW meds only in the winter too, but now I know it was just lucky that they weren't bitten by a mosquito carrying heart worms during that time. It only takes that one bite without the protection of HW meds. In Dallas, we can have mosquitos anytime, so I know for sure you can in Houston. I've just been thru HW treatment with my rescue dog Jack and it's really tough on everyone (especially Jack!). You don't want to risk it! Your vet should have told you that you need to give them all year.

When I took Winnie for her puppy appointments, the vet gave me one small sized Sentinel (based on her weight at the appointment), then the next month at her next appt., she'd give me another one.

Sorry I should have clarified that I only do the flea/bugs during summer. He does get heartworm (Heartguard) all year round - on the 15th of each month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Sorry I should have clarified that I only do the flea/bugs during summer. He does get heartworm (Heartguard) all year round - on the 15th of each month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh good! I didn't want to sound like I was preaching, but you gave me a scare! Having been thru the treatment, I am especially sensitive to HW issue. I've learned more than I ever wanted to know about those awful worms.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    Oh good! I didn't want to sound like I was preaching, but you gave me a scare! Having been thru the treatment, I am especially sensitive to HW issue. I've learned more than I ever wanted to know about those awful worms.
    Preach all you want, that's what we are all here for - to look out for one another thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murphy Hudson Nash
    Likes (Received)

LOL - Welcome to the bully life. Tyson is 9yrs old, and I lose sleep constantly if he doesn't feel well - which is currently with some stomach issues, it never ends. We use heartguard & Frontline and only during the hot summer months, due to bugs, and mosquitos at night. During the winter, nothing. He isn't at daycares or parks around other dogs so our concern with fleas isn't high. I'd say try one, and see how he does with it. Just buy the small pack to start.
    So you use nothing in the winter months? That makes sense, as of right now he's bundled under a blanket on the couch. Wants nothing to do with the outside world.
    When do you start up giving him the medication for summer.?
    We start our camping memorial weekend. So I should probly start it about a month before that??

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murphy Hudson Nash
    Likes (Received)

I did not read the entire post like I should have haha
    Heartgaurd all year, Got it lol

9. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads