adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hello,

My poor guy is incredibly itchy. I thought it was the dry winter but spring is here and he is still very, very itchy. I tried bathing him less, covering him in coconut oil nightly, only giving him bottled water, adding supplements and really watching what we feed him treat wise. He eats raw and the same protein for the past 2.5 years - he broke out into hives when I tried other proteins. His skin is a little bit flaky and when you pet him his leg starts going like crazy because he likes it so much. He also has been running around at times because he cant get the itch - we do coconut oil then and give him a rub to help.
Last night he itched his face and has a sore because he took off the fur. I was at the vet a few weeks ago and the only think she suggested was changing the protein and seeing what happens because his skin could be recovering from winter still.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have never fed raw. I don't use coconut oil, but one of mine had very dry skin/"dandruff. I put a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in her food(she eats ToTw) and her itcy, dry skin stopped. The others get a tsp. of ev olive oil. Have you tried a medicated bath? Did she do a skin scrape?

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
It might be helpful to give him benadryl. It is safe and helps if he is having allergy issues. Many folks on this forum give benadryl tablets to their bullies. When mine have a few issues I use witch hazel and just rub in on them, it dries up fast and usually helps. Good luck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
he could be allergic to the protein or even the coconut oil :eek: Give Benedryl up to 3x a day 1mg per pound... see if it helps at all

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Poor boy…what exactly are you feeding him?

OP
adamslater

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Natures Variety Instinct Raw - Beef. We are switching to Totten Farms Beef Dinner to see if there is a difference.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.