Kmaestas7689

Apr 13, 2015
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliot
So my puppy Elliot is 8 weeks old today, I've had him for a week and notice that his lips, mouth and top of his head get pink/red. I've researched and see that people suggest allergies. I feed him Eukanuba large breed puppy food and Iams puppy biscuit as a snack. I wipe his face every day and wash his stainless steel bowls. Now I notice 2 little bumps on his chin. I worry like crazy and just don't want anything bad to be happening to him. Any advice or suggestions on what this could be please help me out. Also I noticed this more as the weather started to get nice and after he's been outside or playing around with me or my husband. Thanks again.

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
So my puppy Elliot is 8 weeks old today, I've had him for a week and notice that his lips, mouth and top of his head get pink/red. I've researched and see that people suggest allergies. I feed him Eukanuba large breed puppy food and Iams puppy biscuit as a snack. I wipe his face every day and wash his stainless steel bowls. Now I notice 2 little bumps on his chin. I worry like crazy and just don't want anything bad to be happening to him. Any advice or suggestions on what this could be please help me out. Also I noticed this more as the weather started to get nice and after he's been outside or playing around with me or my husband. Thanks again.

Every time my pups eats and drinks, I always have a small towel by their eating area so I can wipe them off each time. :)

- - - Updated - - -

and most use witch hazel to clean the face.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If those areas are white, they will show pink after excitement or activity. Just pink-no bumps. Sometimes on their chin, they will get sore from wet chin after drink, or puppy acne. Try drying his face after drinking.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The red face could be allergies, or it could just be from playing too hard. The bumps under the chin is puppy acne, and you can just wipe under his chin with a damp wash cloth after he eats or drinks and it will o away.

OP
Kmaestas7689

Kmaestas7689

Apr 13, 2015
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliot
How will I know what is causing the allergies?!

OP
Kmaestas7689

Kmaestas7689

Apr 13, 2015
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliot
Not that I'm noticing. I've read a lot of Dogs having allergies on Eukanuba but that's what the breeder had him on and im scared to switch it due to their food sensitivity. Like I said the pink comes and goes.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I noticed you said it was after you are outside playing. Is it sunny out? Could it be a little sunburn? Our Brutus gets pink(he has white fur on his face) if he's outside in the sun long. We use sunscreen on him.

OP
Kmaestas7689

Kmaestas7689

Apr 13, 2015
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliot
It could be the sun. I had him out for a while yesterday. So I'm hoping it could be that and start to sum screen him now when I'm out for a long period of time. Thank you!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
OP
Kmaestas7689

Kmaestas7689

Apr 13, 2015
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliot
I am just so lost, i know that those products are not the best but how will i know what is right to switch him to? I see so many posts about reactions to chicken and lamb and defiantly do not want to make things worse for him.

mugginsmama

Apr 9, 2015
Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly Mabella
OMG I feel for you. I've been through all this, too. If there fur is white and they're getting all wound up and crazy, they just turn pink...it's like they're flushed like a human would get. That's different from allergies. That being said, mine has allergies. Doctor said to start with allergy medicine. We go to Dr. Navin/Harres at All Pets in Lockport, IL cause I found them through this site. They specialize in bulldogs. Does your dog get any eye boogers?? That can be from allergies also (or dry eye or entropian lids). Right now we're starting allergy meds but haven't switched her food. She eats Bil Jac for puppies. Dr. Harres said no need to switch food yet. I also have to clean her wrinkles with malacetic wipes now because she got a little infected cause of the eye boogers.

I'm new to this site too and Molly's my first bulldog and this site has been a huge help. If you're going to switch foods, I would definitely be comfortable with what's recommended on here.

If the only thing you're noticing is pink skin only when he's really active, I wouldn't worry though.

OP
Kmaestas7689

Kmaestas7689

Apr 13, 2015
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliot
thank you [MENTION=14008]mugginsmama[/MENTION] I am just such a worrier and he is my first bulldog as well, and yes this site is an eye opener. I think i will try to swtich his food first before trying allergy medicine as i dont want to do that to him yet so young, the more i look at him the more i notice that he is pink all of the time and was not like this when he i first met him when he was still being fed from his mother. I thought my breeder would be feeding him a good dog food and when i look at my ingredients i feel kind of cheated by her because its not good food. But thank you from one first mom to another.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I am just so lost, i know that those products are not the best but how will i know what is right to switch him to? I see so many posts about reactions to chicken and lamb and defiantly do not want to make things worse for him.

What flavor is he currently on now? You can keep that same flavor, just choose a food that is "grain free" - those grains could be what's causing the redness, you do not need to do chicken or lamb. Maybe salmon, beef? Going grain free is not going to make anything worse, it will improve his skin greatly, just make sure that if you decide to switch, that you do a slow transition, mixing in old food with new food, and increasing new over the days while phasing out the old.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online