Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly Mabella
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My new puppies face is red/ pink

OMG I feel for you. I've been through all this, too. If there fur is white and they're getting all wound up and crazy, they just turn pink...it's like they're flushed like a human would get. That's different from allergies. That being said, mine has allergies. Doctor said to start with allergy medicine. We go to Dr. Navin/Harres at All Pets in Lockport, IL cause I found them through this site. They specialize in bulldogs. Does your dog get any eye boogers?? That can be from allergies also (or dry eye or entropian lids). Right now we're starting allergy meds but haven't switched her food. She eats Bil Jac for puppies. Dr. Harres said no need to switch food yet. I also have to clean her wrinkles with malacetic wipes now because she got a little infected cause of the eye boogers.

I'm new to this site too and Molly's my first bulldog and this site has been a huge help. If you're going to switch foods, I would definitely be comfortable with what's recommended on here.

If the only thing you're noticing is pink skin only when he's really active, I wouldn't worry though.

2. Likes Kmaestas7689 liked this post
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elliot
    Likes (Received)

thank you @mugginsmama I am just such a worrier and he is my first bulldog as well, and yes this site is an eye opener. I think i will try to swtich his food first before trying allergy medicine as i dont want to do that to him yet so young, the more i look at him the more i notice that he is pink all of the time and was not like this when he i first met him when he was still being fed from his mother. I thought my breeder would be feeding him a good dog food and when i look at my ingredients i feel kind of cheated by her because its not good food. But thank you from one first mom to another.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kmaestas7689 View Post
    I am just so lost, i know that those products are not the best but how will i know what is right to switch him to? I see so many posts about reactions to chicken and lamb and defiantly do not want to make things worse for him.
    What flavor is he currently on now? You can keep that same flavor, just choose a food that is "grain free" - those grains could be what's causing the redness, you do not need to do chicken or lamb. Maybe salmon, beef? Going grain free is not going to make anything worse, it will improve his skin greatly, just make sure that if you decide to switch, that you do a slow transition, mixing in old food with new food, and increasing new over the days while phasing out the old.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

5. Likes Kmaestas7689 liked this post
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elliot
    Likes (Received)

Thank you @TyTysmom ,you are a big help. I just ordered Fromm puppy food we will see how that works with Elliot and his red face.
    iot

7. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kmaestas7689 View Post
    Thank you @TyTysmom ,you are a big help. I just ordered Fromm puppy food we will see how that works with Elliot and his red face.
    iot

You are MOST welcome. Please keep us posted on his progress. If he has any itchy-ness - the grain free will hopefully solve that too! Fromm is wonderful food, and once he switches off puppy, and goes grain free - you can interchange the flavors so he can have variety Also, "fruitables" are a good treat - that are grain free... I'd stay away from any biscuits, and such. * Best advice I can give you is - if you can find the food or treats at local corner store, walmart, etc - it's probably not the best quality - for bullies anyway * If you go to the Fromms website, search for retailers that carry their food - those are the stores you want to be shopping at for treats, etc. They will have your grain free options galore

My whole heart, Tyson.

Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elliot
    Likes (Received)

@tytymom that's exactly what I did, I found a great holistic natural pet food and treat distributor right down the road from me, I did not even know it existed. I thought my only option was petsmart for the longest time. Got some good fruit treats for my baby. So happy I joined this website because now I'm learning so much about what is best for my dog. Thanks everyone

10. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

@Kmaestas7689
    Awesome!!! This is wonderful, give him a few weeks to fully adjust to the new food, transition slowly - be patient because he has to fully get rid of all the old food. You can add some plain canned pumpkin to help with the transition too. Can't wait to see some pics of sweet Elliot!

My whole heart, Tyson.

12. Likes Kmaestas7689 liked this post
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elliot
    Likes (Received)

-image-jpg-image-jpg @TyTysmom he's looking forward to his new changes

14. Likes TyTysmom, Bella and Dozers Dad liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi Kelly, I agree with others comments and you got great advice from Dolphin. It definitely sounds like allergies.
    Eukanuba and Iams are not good foods as they have too many fillers and grains and corn, also many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken. Its best to buy your dog food from a store like Rens, Global Pets, Petsmart or other pet food retailer rather than from a grocery store or a Big box store like Walmart. When I got my two guys from the breeder, he was feeding them Royal Canin, which I knew was not a great food either from reading the ingredient list. My female had many allergy symptoms as well that ended up being from chicken and salmon. I started researching dog foods and that's how I came across this site, after reading the dog food ratings, I saw that Royal Canin is rated as a 3 Star, so to the best choice for food. You're better to choose a 4 Star or Better food. Examples of these are Fromms, Wellness, BlueBuffalo, Arcana, Orijen, and Go Natural. It's really trial and error to find a dog food that is a good quality and one that your dog tolerates.
    I would also be careful with treats, as many store bought treats have added chemicals, preservatives and artificial ingredients which are not good for dogs. When training your dog, you can just use a piece of his own kibble to reward him.
    Fruitables, Wellness, and Benny Bully liver treats are great brands and are all natural.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Oh my word - is he PRECIOUS!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My whole heart, Tyson.

Real Name
    Brandi Salyer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Penny, Angel, and Jackson
    Likes (Received)

He could also have an allergy to grass. Jackson and Penny have to be wiped down after they come in from playing outside or they will get welts on their little bellies. It's probably the food that's causing issues, but I would also wipe him off after outside adventures just to be safe. Owning a bully is a such an amazing experience! Don't worry yourself too much, once you fall into a routine it will feel like second nature to do all these crazy things!

18. Likes Kmaestas7689 liked this post
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elliot
    Likes (Received)

Thank you @Vikinggirl sooo informative/ (everyone else as well) like I said I went to a speciality dog food store in my area and will start mixing some Formm into his diet and got him fruit treats as rewards. And I will keep everyone posted on his health and well being.

20. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads