minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Does anyone here have experience with either pyometra or vaginitis? Buttercup finished her heat cycle about a week ago (Note: we had scheduled her spay surgery but delayed due to various health issues and then again for her heat cycle). Yesterday when she sat on a white towel I noticed very trace yellow with green-tinge discharge from her vulva. She had some clear-ish discharge after she finished bleeding so I thought it was a continuation of that process. Today I noticed a larger amount, maybe ~1/8 of a teaspoon.

The discharge does not have any detectable odor. She has been urinating a bit more frequently over the past couple of weeks including a few accidents in the house, which I attributed to her being in heat, but now I'm not so sure. She licks her vulva a few times a day but that is not unusual for her. Her vaginal opening doesn't look very red to me, but I cleaned it with some chlorhexidine just in case it is vaginitis.

Am watching her very closely. We're already scheduled to see the vet tomorrow at lunch for routine care -- I saw the discharge just before the office closed today. Buttercup is eating normally, doesn't seem to have a tender abdomen, and doesn't show any other signs of illness, but I wonder if I should take her to the ER sooner in case it is pyometra. I read that general symptoms like fever, malaise, and lethargy don't present until later so I don't want to miss an infection, but I also don't want to overreact.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i tagged a few members that might have experience

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am late in replying, but tomorrow's appt. should be soon enough.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=12744]minibull[/MENTION] Sorry I'm late to this. The discharge sounds normal to me. When BeBe got Pyometra, she had a discharge that looked like chocolate milk mixed with a little blood. As soon as I saw it, I pretty much knew what it was, and rushed her to our vet, who confirmed it and did an emergency spay on her.

OP
M

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
@minibull Sorry I'm late to this. The discharge sounds normal to me. When BeBe got Pyometra, she had a discharge that looked like chocolate milk mixed with a little blood. As soon as I saw it, I pretty much knew what it was, and rushed her to our vet, who confirmed it and did an emergency spay on her.

Thanks [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]! No more discharge in the past 8 hours since wiping her vulva. I've also been wiping her after she urinates in case that is causing local tissue irritation. She's acting like her normal funny bully self. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Checking in on her, please update us after Vet visit, thank you!

OP
M

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Checking in on her, please update us after Vet visit, thank you!

Thank you for asking. I'm very sorry I did not log on to EBN to update sooner. We went to the vet the next day but there was no further discharge. She thought her external vulva looked a little irritated so I wiped it for a couple of days and the irritation resolved.

However, yesterday and today (1.5 weeks later) I noticed more mucus discharge after she urinated. I caught today's 1/4 tsp batch on a tissue and (this is going to sound gross, but a dog mama's love knows no bounds) a sniff test revealed zero odor. She otherwise seems happy, healthy, and her normal hungry, playful, snuggle-loving self. She also isn't urinating frequently and has had no further accidents so I'm not sure what to make of the discharge.

I'm going to observe her today and will call our vet first thing in the morning if the discharge persists. No vet available on Sunday, but this doesn't seem to be a rapidly progressing issue so it seems ok to wait on pursuing extensive testing. But I'm open to hearing thoughts if my reasoning sounds wrong to others!

One added note -- our vet always raves about how good Buttercup's skin/fur looks and how healthy she looks compared to most other bulldogs she has seen. I told her we are able to take such good care of her thanks to information I learned here and from her as well. Here on EBN, it seems healthy EBs (or as healthy as can be in the context of any underlying medical or structural problems) are the norm.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Nothing is too much, too gross or too far out for bully pawrents :)

From what I know, if Buttercup had this, she wouldn't be acting
well, by now, she'd be very ill and it would be very apparent to all.

Very thankful she is healthy and so well loved, touches my heart
deeply!

Thank you too, for giving such wonderful praise to EBN, it's well
deserved and truly, head & shoulders above other bully groups.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online