HELP!! Dog licking air

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Almost 10 yo female, has bouts where she'll be sleeping / resting, then wake up and start licking air extremely fast!! She isn't licking her nose, just sticking tongue out enough.. Her head really doesn't move around.. She just lays there and starts licking really fast, short licks... Thanks

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
One of mine was doing that. Turned out she had an itch near her butt and couldn't reach it!:whistle:

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
I've caught Logan licked the air too couple times but that's about it. I'm just keeping an eye on both.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Agree with [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] - tyson does this too if he has an itch he can't reach. Is she smacking her lips? Or just licking? If smacking, she may have a little nausea/upset belly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Not smacking lips at this time... Licking, like how a lizard or snake does... Not licking her nose, just tongue in and out..

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Not smacking lips at this time... Licking, like how a lizard or snake does... Not licking her nose, just tongue in and out..

Have you checked her mouth? I would run your fingers through her mouth, and gums, esp the side pockets & check teeth. Just make sure there is no fur. Once Tyson had a single piece of my hair in there, and it was driving him nuts, but it was in the side gums. If all looks well there. Try a rice cake right before bedtime, maybe that will help. Also, give her tail & pocket a good clean with some witch hazel, this will help if there is any itch there.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Frankie has a tippee tongue that sticks out alot and when it gets dry he does that.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Could be something a little more serious. Like a focal seizure. Try and get it on video. Check the tail pocket (if there is one) and see if that might be the cause.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Nitschke, my first bully, did this a lot too.... turned out he was tired or bored, but I agree -- check the tail pocket for cleaning and also get video and post so we can get a visual

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

Thanks for pointing out focal seizure. Our guy just had one and it's not the first - the last one was several months ago but I never could find an answer til now what it could be. He's 9 yrs old. Not sure if I should do anything about it?
It looked like this poor dog (not my dog but found this video online) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGwxdBcPml8

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
@<u><a href="http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/member.php?u=572" target="_blank">Libra926</a></u>

Thanks for pointing out focal seizure. Our guy just had one and it's not the first - the last one was several months ago but I never could find an answer til now what it could be. He's 9 yrs old. Not sure if I should do anything about it?
It looked like this poor dog (not my dog but found this video online) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGwxdBcPml8

Alot like Vegas.

They are a type of seizure and I would consider taking him in. And like always, get it on video if you can. With it only happening every few months or so, they might not do anything about it. Vegas usually averages one a day.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Aww, poor Vegas, yes it looks like that but not for as long...been to the vet 6 times already this yr so unless it happens again, I will probably wait but thanks so much [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.