Ulcer in Eye?

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Our vet recently diagnosed Diesel with an eye ulcer. I've never heard of this. Doc says it is below Diesels eye on his lower lid, but above his cheek. I can see the swelling just below his eye socket. He can't hold his eye open and his eye looks red and hazy. Doc put him on eye drops and Amox twice a day. It's been 4 days since starting treatment and I'm not seeing much improvement. Should we worry? Ask another vet? WWYD?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I would contact the vet again and say there has been no improvement and ask for a new appointment asap (and if you don't feel confident with the vet, I would try to get a second opinion). I hope Diesel soon feels better - what a sweet face!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes I would definitely seek another vet's opinion. Hopefully one that has experience with English Bulldogs. I hope it works out for him, I know how we hurt worse then them when something like this happens.

OP
DieselsMom

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Thanks. Got him a recheck appointment with this vet for this afternoon. If I feel put off or like he's not being thorough we will look for another vet. Thank you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would contact the vet again and say there has been no improvement and ask for a new appointment asap (and if you don't feel confident with the vet, I would try to get a second opinion). I hope Diesel soon feels better - what a sweet face!

agreed!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm dealing w/an eye ulcer for Wally right now… it can take a couple of weeks for them to heal, but he should be getting a re-check every week. Walter had eye drops and ointment now we are down to the ointment.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
hear ye, hear ye. When Harvey had the eye ulcer, he was prescribed with 2 drops and an ointment. He was seen by the world famous Vet Dr. Kramer, bulldog expert here in Orange County.

After 4 or 5 days, no seeming improvement. I consulted with the Vet's office and I was advised to return on the 7th day for a re check. Harvey's squinting and redness improved on the 6th day so I did not even bother returning. Give it time.

OP
DieselsMom

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Well we will be switching vets. Went back for the recheck only to have the doc administer the same eye goop we've been giving Diesel for a week. Asked him how long we should expect this to take before it clears up and he said, and I quote "Well it's not going to until he has surgery to repair that eyelid." I am furious. It's entropion. Not once did he mention surgery to my husband or we would have immediately began looking into facilities to perform the surgery. A week wasted and his eye endured that much more damage. I'm done with hick doc.

harveyspecter

Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Well we will be switching vets. Went back for the recheck only to have the doc administer the same eye goop we've been giving Diesel for a week. Asked him how long we should expect this to take before it clears up and he said, and I quote "Well it's not going to until he has surgery to repair that eyelid." I am furious. It's entropion. Not once did he mention surgery to my husband or we would have immediately began looking into facilities to perform the surgery. A week wasted and his eye endured that much more damage. I'm done with hick doc.

not giving you this very relevant information is just so negligent. -

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Wally is having surgery to remove and inner row of eyelashes… but we were told this from the get-go. The ointment we use is just to protect his eyes until the surgery is done. I can NOT believe your vet never mentioned this to you from the start… I agree it's time to find a new vet!!!

WhitneyBlanche

Mar 3, 2015
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Ollie had an eye ulcer. I didn't see much improvement for the first 3-4 days then it started looking a little better. By the 7th day it was much improved and by the 10th it was almost back to normal. It's been a few weeks now and it is completely back to normal. Thank god no surgery was needed. This is our first eye ulcer with Ollie and I was really stressing about it but with time it did clear up! My vet prescribed a mild pain killer to give her in the evenings which helped a lot because it kept her mind off it and stopped her from scratching it and potentially making it worse.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
I was just going to ask if they said anything about entropian.The ulcer was due to something....We have done two surgeries and one eyelash removal and now we are currently in the stitch the eyelid down stage to see if he has to have a third surgery..Its crazy.. uploadfromtaptalk1428359099454.jpg

OP
DieselsMom

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
not giving you this very relevant information is just so negligent. -

Wally is having surgery to remove and inner row of eyelashes… but we were told this from the get-go. The ointment we use is just to protect his eyes until the surgery is done. I can NOT believe your vet never mentioned this to you from the start… I agree it's time to find a new vet!!!

I was so angry that he let my guy suffer a whole week of trauma to that eye, not to mention the anxiety he goes through every 2-3 hours when we administer the eye goop. Very negligent, I completely agree.

Ollie had an eye ulcer. I didn't see much improvement for the first 3-4 days then it started looking a little better. By the 7th day it was much improved and by the 10th it was almost back to normal. It's been a few weeks now and it is completely back to normal. Thank god no surgery was needed. This is our first eye ulcer with Ollie and I was really stressing about it but with time it did clear up! My vet prescribed a mild pain killer to give her in the evenings which helped a lot because it kept her mind off it and stopped her from scratching it and potentially making it worse.

I was just going to ask if they said anything about entropian.The ulcer was due to something....We have done two surgeries and one eyelash removal and now we are currently in the stitch the eyelid down stage to see if he has to have a third surgery..Its crazy..View attachment 85907

That's awful and I'm scared to death of Diesel having to have surgery.

We went to the new vet today for a second opinion. This guy actually did tests on his eye. Did the dye test and tear test to see what was really going on. Found a pretty good sized ulcer on his right eye (the one he's been "squinting"). I showed the vet the drops we were given and he didn't even know what they were. He took them and said "here's exactly how I feel about these" and threw them right in the trash.
He said it may not be entropion after all. He did a skin scrape on a spot on Diesels back that I hadn't even noticed. No parasites or mange so he thinks it's allergy related. Could be what caused his eye ulcer but he said most likely it was a foreign matter scratch that just went too long without proper treatment. We are treating the ulcer with pain relief drops and an antibiotic drop directly in his eye. Recheck in a week. Once he put those pain relievers in and Diesels stopped squinting his eye so hard his eye lid actually looked very normal. Fingers crossed new doc is onto something and we have officially changed our vet!! Good riddance to the old hick doc.

harveyspecter

Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I was so angry that he let my guy suffer a whole week of trauma to that eye, not to mention the anxiety he goes through every 2-3 hours when we administer the eye goop. Very negligent, I completely agree.

That's awful and I'm scared to death of Diesel having to have surgery.

We went to the new vet today for a second opinion. This guy actually did tests on his eye. Did the dye test and tear test to see what was really going on. Found a pretty good sized ulcer on his right eye (the one he's been "squinting"). I showed the vet the drops we were given and he didn't even know what they were. He took them and said "here's exactly how I feel about these" and threw them right in the trash.
He said it may not be entropion after all. He did a skin scrape on a spot on Diesels back that I hadn't even noticed. No parasites or mange so he thinks it's allergy related. Could be what caused his eye ulcer but he said most likely it was a foreign matter scratch that just went too long without proper treatment. We are treating the ulcer with pain relief drops and an antibiotic drop directly in his eye. Recheck in a week. Once he put those pain relievers in and Diesels stopped squinting his eye so hard his eye lid actually looked very normal. Fingers crossed new doc is onto something and we have officially changed our vet!! Good riddance to the old hick doc.

Geese, having to deal with a sick animal is stressful enough. Having to deal with an incompetent doctor is even worse. Glad that you found the right one eventually. Thank God and Good for You. Hope Diesel is on his way to unobstructed healing. Good Luck to you. I think you need a drink, a very big drink. If you were closeby I would even buy you that big drink.

OP
DieselsMom

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Geese, having to deal with a sick animal is stressful enough. Having to deal with an incompetent doctor is even worse. Glad that you found the right one eventually. Thank God and Good for You. Hope Diesel is on his way to unobstructed healing. Good Luck to you. I think you need a drink, a very big drink. If you were closeby I would even buy you that big drink.

Thanks. I did need a drink for sure!

It's been a week on the new drops. He isn't rolling his eye in as much now but I still see the ulcer on his eyeball. It looks almost like a cataract. I'm really scared he's going to lose that eye. He goes back for a recheck (with the new vet) tomorrow. Keep him in your prayers that we can get this thing gone!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.