Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ulcer in Eye?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel
    Likes (Received)

Default Ulcer in Eye?

Our vet recently diagnosed Diesel with an eye ulcer. I've never heard of this. Doc says it is below Diesels eye on his lower lid, but above his cheek. I can see the swelling just below his eye socket. He can't hold his eye open and his eye looks red and hazy. Doc put him on eye drops and Amox twice a day. It's been 4 days since starting treatment and I'm not seeing much improvement. Should we worry? Ask another vet? WWYD?

My sweet Diesel

Mom of 4 kiddos
    Also mom of 3 pups and 2 kitties

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ulcer in Eye?

I would contact the vet again and say there has been no improvement and ask for a new appointment asap (and if you don't feel confident with the vet, I would try to get a second opinion). I hope Diesel soon feels better - what a sweet face!

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Yes I would definitely seek another vet's opinion. Hopefully one that has experience with English Bulldogs. I hope it works out for him, I know how we hurt worse then them when something like this happens.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. Got him a recheck appointment with this vet for this afternoon. If I feel put off or like he's not being thorough we will look for another vet. Thank you!

My sweet Diesel

Mom of 4 kiddos

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    I would contact the vet again and say there has been no improvement and ask for a new appointment asap (and if you don't feel confident with the vet, I would try to get a second opinion). I hope Diesel soon feels better - what a sweet face!
    agreed!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I'm dealing w/an eye ulcer for Wally right now… it can take a couple of weeks for them to heal, but he should be getting a re-check every week. Walter had eye drops and ointment now we are down to the ointment.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

hear ye, hear ye. When Harvey had the eye ulcer, he was prescribed with 2 drops and an ointment. He was seen by the world famous Vet Dr. Kramer, bulldog expert here in Orange County.

After 4 or 5 days, no seeming improvement. I consulted with the Vet's office and I was advised to return on the 7th day for a re check. Harvey's squinting and redness improved on the 6th day so I did not even bother returning. Give it time.
    Hug your bully today

9. Likes ddnene liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel
    Likes (Received)

Well we will be switching vets. Went back for the recheck only to have the doc administer the same eye goop we've been giving Diesel for a week. Asked him how long we should expect this to take before it clears up and he said, and I quote "Well it's not going to until he has surgery to repair that eyelid." I am furious. It's entropion. Not once did he mention surgery to my husband or we would have immediately began looking into facilities to perform the surgery. A week wasted and his eye endured that much more damage. I'm done with hick doc.

My sweet Diesel

Mom of 4 kiddos

Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DieselsMom View Post
    Well we will be switching vets. Went back for the recheck only to have the doc administer the same eye goop we've been giving Diesel for a week. Asked him how long we should expect this to take before it clears up and he said, and I quote "Well it's not going to until he has surgery to repair that eyelid." I am furious. It's entropion. Not once did he mention surgery to my husband or we would have immediately began looking into facilities to perform the surgery. A week wasted and his eye endured that much more damage. I'm done with hick doc.
    not giving you this very relevant information is just so negligent. -
    Hug your bully today

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DieselsMom View Post
    Wally is having surgery to remove and inner row of eyelashes… but we were told this from the get-go. The ointment we use is just to protect his eyes until the surgery is done. I can NOT believe your vet never mentioned this to you from the start… I agree it's time to find a new vet!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Ollie had an eye ulcer. I didn't see much improvement for the first 3-4 days then it started looking a little better. By the 7th day it was much improved and by the 10th it was almost back to normal. It's been a few weeks now and it is completely back to normal. Thank god no surgery was needed. This is our first eye ulcer with Ollie and I was really stressing about it but with time it did clear up! My vet prescribed a mild pain killer to give her in the evenings which helped a lot because it kept her mind off it and stopped her from scratching it and potentially making it worse.

Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

I was just going to ask if they said anything about entropian.The ulcer was due to something....We have done two surgeries and one eyelash removal and now we are currently in the stitch the eyelid down stage to see if he has to have a third surgery..Its crazy..-uploadfromtaptalk1428359099454-jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads