Worried Bully owner

Firebyrd

Dec 30, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Domino
Hello all, I have a concern. Domino is 5 months old and recently started limping. I noticed he favors his right hind leg but he never whimpers. I even notice him walking and his back just drop to the floor. I took him to the vet and they said they could not see anything. I'm trying Ibuprofen and keeping him in his crate. I guess the next step would be to get a x ray. But isn't 5 month to soon for hip dysplasia?

Like · Comment

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
No ibuprofin!!! It is toxic to dog. He can have low dose (baby) asprin to help him with the pain and inflammation.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Hello all, I have a concern. Domino is 5 months old and recently started limping. I noticed he favors his right hind leg but he never whimpers. I even notice him walking and his back just drop to the floor. I took him to the vet and they said they could not see anything. I'm trying Ibuprofen and keeping him in his crate. I guess the next step would be to get a x ray. But isn't 5 month to soon for hip dysplasia?

Like · Comment

Hey sorry for the abrupt post above. Just wanted to get that out there while you were online. I'm sorry that your baby is limping. I believe the low dose asprin is 81mg. (1 capsule) for every 10 pounds.

Goob would have random limps as a puppy but we attributed it to growing pains or strains. We now have him on a joint supplement that many of us on this site use called Nujoint. I would check out the Nuvet website and take a look at their product. It's really great! How long has the limp been happening?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
NO IBUPROFIN… Bullies do have a tendency to limp, especially at that age. I would restrict his movement and give him a few days… he should be just fine.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack

Like · Comment

OMG, I don't want to alarm you but DO NOT give Tylenol or Ibuprofen ever! Low dose aspirin for pain. Call your vet for correct dosage for you pups weight.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm sorry, I panicked, I forgot to say welcome to EBN!

OP
F

Firebyrd

Dec 30, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Domino
Thank you and glad to be here.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Welcome to EBN.

My puppy was limping at that age. He was doing rough play with the neighbor's dog and was limping then next two days. I was very concerned like you. Went to see the vet and he was given non steroidical anti inflammatory - nsaids. He was ok after 2 days.

Give him rest. He will be fine in no time. BTW, please post pics of Domino. We like to see bully pics in this site.

OP
F

Firebyrd

Dec 30, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Domino
I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago. He never jumps on or off furniture, but he would chase my teenage son up and down stairs. I'm wondering if he took a spill down the carpeted stairs. I wish I knew.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
My pup jovi had turned 1 and a few days after her birthday she started limping. It was about two week that I had been finally like okay what's wrong? Anyways her limping was on her right leg, after two weeks she was limping on her left leg which was odd. 2 and a half weeks later jovi couldn't stand up. I panicked and rushed her to the e.r where they said she was find and sent me home after paying a huge bill. My baby couldn't walk so I took her to a second opinion and they referred me to get her to another vet so off we went to our third vet.. Did X-rays and come to find out she has hip displaysia and two torn ligaments. If this doesn't clear up and you don't see improvement I would bring her to your vet.

OP
F

Firebyrd

Dec 30, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Domino
Will do. I we have an appointment scheduled next .

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Sorry to hear about the limping. Hopefully Domino has done something silly to hurt himself.
No Ibuprofen/Tylenol or any other human medicines for dogs; they are very dangerous.
There are NSAIDs specifically for canines. Talk to your vet and keep a ready stock at home. Don't know the trade names used in USA.
Hip dysplasia can be seen in puppies as young as 2-3 months.
Mine was diagnosed at risk for HD when we had an X-ray taken at 4 months; but vet's advice is wait until she is a year old to confirm with another X-ray.
After this injury heals, keep the dog active but do not let him go on his hind legs often; discourage stairs unless absolutely necessary.

If your dog has HD, then it is genetic; but diet, proper exercise and care can help in strengthening the cartilage/muscles around the hip joint.
Try supplements that contain glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, taurine and levocarnitine; they all help in building strong cartilage and muscle.
Talk to your vet for recommended dosage and frequency.

If possible, feed your dog natural sources of these amino acids (raw meat and bones diet)
Add 1 tsp flaxseed oil per day to diet as a supplement; it is a natural remedy to help cope with joint pain (humans and canines alike)

Good luck.
-Raghu

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde

Like · Comment
Hi..we have this issue with our Olde English boy.Yes no ibuprofen!! Our vet told us it was a partial tear of his ligament in His leg and gave us Vetprofen for inflammation.Hope this helps..

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
At that age it can also be Panostetsis or Pano for short which is basically growing pains which can be diagnosed by the vet as well.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online