Real Name
    Raghu Prasad
    Country
    India
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Worried Bully owner

Sorry to hear about the limping. Hopefully Domino has done something silly to hurt himself.
    No Ibuprofen/Tylenol or any other human medicines for dogs; they are very dangerous.
    There are NSAIDs specifically for canines. Talk to your vet and keep a ready stock at home. Don't know the trade names used in USA.
    Hip dysplasia can be seen in puppies as young as 2-3 months.
    Mine was diagnosed at risk for HD when we had an X-ray taken at 4 months; but vet's advice is wait until she is a year old to confirm with another X-ray.
    After this injury heals, keep the dog active but do not let him go on his hind legs often; discourage stairs unless absolutely necessary.

If your dog has HD, then it is genetic; but diet, proper exercise and care can help in strengthening the cartilage/muscles around the hip joint.
    Try supplements that contain glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, taurine and levocarnitine; they all help in building strong cartilage and muscle.
    Talk to your vet for recommended dosage and frequency.

If possible, feed your dog natural sources of these amino acids (raw meat and bones diet)
    Add 1 tsp flaxseed oil per day to diet as a supplement; it is a natural remedy to help cope with joint pain (humans and canines alike)

Good luck.
    -Raghu

Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Firebyrd View Post
    Hello all, I have a concern. Domino is 5 months old and recently started limping. I noticed he favors his right hind leg but he never whimpers. I even notice him walking and his back just drop to the floor. I took him to the vet and they said they could not see anything. I'm trying Ibuprofen and keeping him in his crate. I guess the next step would be to get a x ray. But isn't 5 month to soon for hip dysplasia?

Like Comment
    Hi..we have this issue with our Olde English boy.Yes no ibuprofen!! Our vet told us it was a partial tear of his ligament in His leg and gave us Vetprofen for inflammation.Hope this helps..

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

At that age it can also be Panostetsis or Pano for short which is basically growing pains which can be diagnosed by the vet as well.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Domino
    Likes (Received)

lol. I'm learning so much from Domino.

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Miranda
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

This forum truly is the best. Little Max just started limping when we got home from a weekend we spent at my parents house. He doesn't seem to be in any pain but did have a very busy weekend and seemed to have had a bit of a growths spurt. Everyone's feedback regarding Domino has helped me too. Hoping it's nothing bad. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. It is so nice knowing you're not alone as im a worry wort for my lil one like we all are.

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Domino
    Likes (Received)

Hello all. Domino and I have returned from the and he was diagnosed with Patalla Luxation . The groove where the knee cap sits may not be as deep as it should. He was placed on an anti-inflammatory. My little man should be fine. For your concerns.

9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Miranda
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Glad he's going to be ok!

Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

Abbott was having leg issues and limping and the vet said possibly it was a partial ligament tear but I put both ours on a supplement for hips and joints and he hasn't had a problem since and its been about a month. We use Naturvet but alot of people on here use NuVet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads