Still Having the Same Trouble...Paw Licking

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I have posted about this topic before but here it is again. Goob LOVES to chew his bone all day long. Not a problem. It is his favorite toy.
The problem comes after he chews. He lathers up A LOT of saliva.
THIS>>>> 20150227_234952_resized-1.jpg TURNS INTO THIS>>>>101-6F7BA120-427352-960.jpg Meet Mr. Santa Clause

Now, I have tried keeping the bone away from him, drying his feet in between, buying him stuffies to suckle....Goob doesn't suckle, he demolishes. The problem I am having is when he chews the bone, he licks his saliva off of his feet and will lick and lick and lick. Like he is in an OCD trance. I have to poke him (not hard) and snap him out of it or I have give his bone back to him. Then it's like "oh ya! My bone! Thanks mom!!!" Chew chew chew....turns into lick lick lick. I can even move his paws out of the way and he will lick my hand until I stuff his bone back into his mouth. Needless to say the chewing trance turns into a licking trance and he has to be snapped out of it. Nothing "seizure-ish" about it...just gets caught up in the licking.

Because of this, his front paws are pink and irritated from constant moisture and licking. I know it's not allergies bc his back paws are GREAT!! Well, here is what his paws looked like today:(
20150331_152820(0).jpg20150331_152913.jpg

This is the worse it has ever been. I have taken his toys away from him...he is licking my feet as I type! I have cleaned his feet and I am applying Veterycin every several hours. What else should I do? Is there some sort of balm I can buy that will act as a seal...that will also allow his feet to release his body heat? Do I keep him toys away from him? I don't want him to chew and lick so bad that it turns into some sort of worse infection. What do you guys think?

20150325_220351.jpg<What he thinks about his stuffies

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Well Goob you are out of my league. Hopefully one of the Pro's will help. Poor thing has to hurt to even walk.

OP
Goob14

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
He is showing NO signs of pain. No limping but especially no drooling because when he isnt feeling good or something is hurting him, he drools...I'm at a loss too:mellow:

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Hi goob! so cute! someone here suggested spraying the feet with bitter apple? I'd be afraid it would sting though. I was also just at pet people yesterday and saw outdoor shoes/socks for dogs. maybe something like that to prevent further damage and let them heal. although if he's like frank he'll just rip them right off.

frank likes to lick his feet before his nighttime sleep. The sound is annoying but I've chalked it up to him relaxing. Not sure if i should try to break that habit before it gets to what you're going through with Goob. I will keep monitoring this to see what happens. hope someone here has good advice!

OP
Goob14

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Hi goob! so cute! someone here suggested spraying the feet with bitter apple? I'd be afraid it would sting though. I was also just at pet people yesterday and saw outdoor shoes/socks for dogs. maybe something like that to prevent further damage and let them heal. although if he's like frank he'll just rip them right off.

frank likes to lick his feet before his nighttime sleep. The sound is annoying but I've chalked it up to him relaxing. Not sure if i should try to break that habit before it gets to what you're going through with Goob. I will keep monitoring this to see what happens. hope someone here has good advice!

I was considering some sort of sock too but with the temperature rising here, I don't really want to try them YET because I'm worried about him over heating. Hmm...Bitter apple might work once the redness clears up. Which it is clearing up BUT he keeps whimpering for his toys. He is so depressed:( I feel like I just took a little kid's security blanket from them. Poor baby. Maybe when it heals, I'll give him his bone but only for short periods of time and wash his feet after every chewing session.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
it does look a little like yeast... have you tried soaking or cleaning with apple cider vinegar? Banks front paws would get like that if i did not clean her paws after being out in the grass

OP
Goob14

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
it does look a little like yeast... have you tried soaking or cleaning with apple cider vinegar? Banks front paws would get like that if i did not clean her paws after being out in the grass

I haven't tried it yet. Today I've been putting Sentry Wound Cream Anti-Bacterial on it. Would witch hazel kill yeast too or just the ACV?

Ulrich

Oct 11, 2014
Minnesota
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Murray sometimes gets all messy with his toys, too. We take them away for a little while or switch out different toys because I think the saliva starts from a repeated gnawing pattern. He also licks his front paws sometimes. I've been wiping them with baby wipes in between his toes and the fur on top. It cleans off the discoloring from his saliva and stops him for a while. He likes when I massage his paws as I wipe them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I haven't tried it yet. Today I've been putting Sentry Wound Cream Anti-Bacterial on it. Would witch hazel kill yeast too or just the ACV?

You can try the witch hazel, but the AVC will do the trick. I keep it in a spray bottle mixed with water

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.