ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We were back at the vet again today. Memphis had a seizure late yesterday afternoon and another one this morning, peeing himself both times ... once on the couch and the second time in our bed. He's not eating and lethargic. There's apparently a muscle that runs along a bulldog's esophagus, and now the theory is (after vet did some research), it's "common" with megaesophagus for that muscle to get irritated when they start gagging and can't catch their breath. When they briefly pass out, it's a good thing, because it relaxes that muscle (and their esophagus) and helps them to catch their breath and regain consciousness. Memphis was also diagnosed with mild kidney failure a couple of years ago, and late last year they found a tumor on his spleen. The most recent x-rays revealed the tumor has grown slightly, and today they said his one good kidney (while still functioning), is slowly declining. I'm not asking for advice, just using this forum as a sounding board in attempt to regain some sanity after a tough day. We don't have kids, we have a bulldog! He's always been our #1 priority and a Mommy's boy (even though Daddy thinks he's a Daddy's boy). :no:

I can't tell you how sorry I am… poor baby boy :( I wish that I had words of encouragement to give you, but I've never dealt w/those issues w/my dogs. Of course we are always here for you to vent… or just to receive support. I hope that Memphis starts to feel better, please keep us posted!!! :assurred:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Natalie [MENTION=13945]Memphis Mama[/MENTION] I am so sorry to hear about your mommy's/daddy's boy.... big hug from all of us and give Memphis one too.

luvmytuker

Jan 10, 2015
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Re: Morning vomit + faint (video)

I'm so very sorry to hear your baby is not doing well, I cannot imagine how sad you are, I am praying for Memphis and for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm thinking of Memphis and you, [MENTION=13945]Memphis Mama[/MENTION]. Please give your baby boy a big hug and a kiss from us.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We were back at the vet again today. Memphis had a seizure late yesterday afternoon and another one this morning, peeing himself both times ... once on the couch and the second time in our bed. He's not eating and lethargic. There's apparently a muscle that runs along a bulldog's esophagus, and now the theory is (after vet did some research), it's "common" with megaesophagus for that muscle to get irritated when they start gagging and can't catch their breath. When they briefly pass out, it's a good thing, because it relaxes that muscle (and their esophagus) and helps them to catch their breath and regain consciousness. Memphis was also diagnosed with mild kidney failure a couple of years ago, and late last year they found a tumor on his spleen. The most recent x-rays revealed the tumor has grown slightly, and today they said his one good kidney (while still functioning), is slowly declining. I'm not asking for advice, just using this forum as a sounding board in attempt to regain some sanity after a tough day. We don't have kids, we have a bulldog! He's always been our #1 priority and a Mommy's boy (even though Daddy thinks he's a Daddy's boy). :no:

Natalie- reading your post broke my heart.
Please, please start a thread on Memphis.
If you need to use this forum as a sounding board, then by all means do it! We're all here for you and will support you as best we can. :hug::daisy:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm so sorry you're going through this with your baby. We don't have any skin kids eather, my boys are my world, so I can imagine how understand your feelings. :hug:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts to you and Memphis. I also have no skin kids and my bulldogs are my world --- sound of as needed, we are here to help and support you. :hug:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
[MENTION=13945]Memphis Mama[/MENTION], I am so sorry to read this. I was hoping he was feeling better. We are all here for you. I am sending prayers.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I do hope he is feeling better, I'm so sorry to read this. We're all here for you.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Prayers are coming your way Memphis for a Speedy Recovery. Love and Kisses To You Memphis. God Bless You Sweet Heart.

Loggermom

Jun 25, 2021
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Moosh, Squoosh

I'm super excited to have found this forum!

Trying to discover the issue with my 9 month old English Bulldog Rosie.

About twice a month she will wake up (always in the morning), sit up and lick her lips like she has too much saliva.

Then she will begin to hack like she's trying to throw up but can't. That leads to her passing out and throwing up clear liquid and foam. Occasionally she will pee but that only happens if she hasn't been out yet.

Sometimes after an episode she will be sluggish and not her typical playful self for the remainder of the day.

Other times she gets back up like nothing had happened.

I originally thought it was from her not getting enough oxygen at night and over heating.

We had her soft palate and stenotic nares surgery done about two weeks ago but the problem still persists.

Although it looks like a seizure I don't think it is as it always happens in the morning following the hacking.

Any ideas? I would appreciate any thoughts from you guys!

View attachment 85593

I know your boy would be extra elderly now, but we too have a bulldog that does this. Our vet has explained - the mega esophagus causes a tightening of a nearby muscle as the dog attempts to vomit. The muscle swells and cuts off a nerve that leads to the heart. Hence the passing out after they wretch.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I know your boy would be extra elderly now, but we too have a bulldog that does this. Our vet has explained - the mega esophagus causes a tightening of a nearby muscle as the dog attempts to vomit. The muscle swells and cuts off a nerve that leads to the heart. Hence the passing out after they wretch.

Thank you for sharing!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.