HeartWorm & Flea treatment

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Since I'm an EB first time owner and don't think his breeder did any kind of testing in my knowledge. When does the vet do the heartworm test? Brett will be 5 mos old tomorrow. Thanks

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
They usually do a test before you put him on HW preventative.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I don't know what area you live in. If you live in a mosquito area, I think you would start him at about 6 months, but I really can't remember. I give mine HW all year 'r ound.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm in NY, and we started Blue when he was about 4 months old in April. We put him on it when we started taking him out, and it got above 50 degrees. I think I remember my vet saying it was time.

OP
2bulldogsstuff

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't know what area you live in. If you live in a mosquito area, I think you would start him at about 6 months, but I really can't remember. I give mine HW all year 'r ound.

California

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
My vet always does it right as skeeter season is ready to start up which happens to coincide with their annual vaccination schedule. When I go in for their visit he will normally draw the blood and send me home with the meds. As soon as the results are back he will call me and tell me to start the regimen. Usually season and area you live in will give them a good timeline for starting the heartworm meds. In the interim, if you live in an area that is already seeing the skeeter population starting up, look into a natural topical repellant. I think someone recommended a lavendar oil mixed with water in a spray bottle.

OP
2bulldogsstuff

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My vet always does it right as skeeter season is ready to start up which happens to coincide with their annual vaccination schedule. When I go in for their visit he will normally draw the blood and send me home with the meds. As soon as the results are back he will call me and tell me to start the regimen. Usually season and area you live in will give them a good timeline for starting the heartworm meds. In the interim, if you live in an area that is already seeing the skeeter population starting up, look into a natural topical repellant. I think someone recommended a lavendar oil mixed with water in a spray bottle.

Thank you. I was thinking Vet might suggest once it's time for the first year visit for vaccinations again. But I'll try to that repellant as an early prevention

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Since I'm an EB first time owner and don't think his breeder did any kind of testing in my knowledge. When does the vet do the heartworm test? Brett will be 5 mos old tomorrow. Thanks

There is a age and weight requirement to start on heartguard. Right around 5 months sounds right. I'd give your vet a call.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
There is a age and weight requirement to start on heartguard. Right around 5 months sounds right. I'd give your vet a call.

You can give Heartgard to puppies as young as 6 weeks. We started it at 4 months.

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
Been giving heartguard to Boris since he was 3 months. The vet we see said it doesn't really matter when you start it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you've been given great advice above. We started our guys on Revolution after they had their first set of vaccinations.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lambeau is same age as Brett and we already gave his his first heartworm pills at 3 months (in January)... I have not done flea/tick yet (Vectr 3D is what i use), but will be using it .... first application will probably be in May. I usually do May - October

OP
2bulldogsstuff

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lambeau is same age as Brett and we already gave his his first heartworm pills at 3 months (in January)... I have not done flea/tick yet (Vectr 3D is what i use), but will be using it .... first application will probably be in May. I usually do May - October

Thank you. I'll check that product out for Brett. His Vet emailed me back saying 5-6 mos so I guess it's good now to take the test. As for the flea ..no fleas here thank God but I've been giving me a bath with 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup ACV. Also on days when I don't bathe him I usually would spray him some of it on his coat. His coat all soft now

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online