madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I posted another thread on this thursday night. We had rushed frank to the emergency vet. He was fine in the morning, my boyfriend took him to daycare and they said he vomited and was not acting like his normal playful self. I picked him up and he refused to eat his food which is so out of the ordinary for him. We rushed to the emergency vet and he vomited twice more. They ran a fecal test and a parvo test. Everything came back fine. We also did X-rays for an obstruction. They found nothing.

There are moments where he seems like he's doing better and then moments where he's not. He refuses to eat his kibble still, so we tried boiled hamburger and rice and he did eat that. He's just acting depressed, listless. He also had a not so firm poop this morning. And he is farting a lot and it smells rancid.

We we switched him from blue chicken to canidae salmon and mackerel 3 weeks ago and he was doing great on it. Frank had giardia when we first got him and the vet said it could've laid dormant for a while, so he is being treated for that.

Could he have some type stomach bug? Why won't he eat his kibble but eat other foods? I'm so worried about him!! It is stressing us out big time. I don't know what else to do but take him in to see his normal vet.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Is he pooing and peeing normally? Many things that can cause an obstruction aren't detected on normal x-rays and would need to do a barium xray or ultrasound if you do think it is an obstruction in order to help with detecting it.

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
He is pooping and peeing normally. His stool is very smelly though but it's not thin or stringy. I am willing to do a barium swallow or anything else, whatever it takes it get him well. I just don't know where to start...

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
His breathing also sounds a bit congested. This congestion just started today.

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
And he just had a lava flow of liquid diarrhea

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
There has been so many recalls lately with dog foods that maybe there is something wrong with the kibble? I would not give him food for awhile or give him boiled hamburger and rice, since he ate that and it is also recommended with stomach bugs.

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
After this is all over we are switching to fromms! I called and left a message for my vet, hoping to get him in tomorrow.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm sorry to hear about little Frank. I'm hoping he has a simple stomach virus that will run its course. Do you think he might've gotten himself into something--missing socks or stuffed toys that heave been chewed up?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I sounds like a virus-or a possible obstruction. Could he have gotten hold of something? I agree with Rikka about bland, until you see the vet.

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
How long would a stomach bug last ?

i really don't think he's swallowed something but I can't rule it out.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It could be an obstruction that doesn't show up on x-ray, but it could also be a stomach bug. Put him on a bland diet for a few days and I would take him to the vet again.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I hope that you get it figured out.... Poor Frank and poor you! It is always awful when our babies are sick, especially when we don't know what is wrong. :(

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/the gang… do the bland diet until you can talk to your vet. I would also do the barium swallow to be SURE he didn't swallow anything… if they are treating him for giardia he SHOULD be feeling somewhat better by now. I know w/Winston they gave him a shot/meds and within 48 hrs he was back to his normal self although he had slightly runny stool.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I agree with Riikki, hold his food from him the next 24 hours
then smaller amount starting out and bland diet only. He's been
thru a lot of food changes in a short amount of time so give his
tummy a chance to settle down. It hurts us MORE than them as
we think they'll starve...but they won't! Lots of fresh water tho!!

Try not to worry & stress (they sure pick up on our feelings) and
as long as he's pooing, peeing & drinking water, stay calm & observe
him, it could be a stomach bug.

Praying for y'all...stay strong, Honey and keep us updated.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
How is Frank today? I would say if you don't see improvement, I would move forward with the barium swallow. It was the only thing for us that found something still in Tyson's belly. (The last of 3 socks) He had multiple xrays, and ultrasounds, none found anything. Please let us know how he's feeling....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.