Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@madie4589 Been reading this thread, and I am praying so hard for Frank, that they figure out what is going on. I am praying for you, as I absolutely know how it feels to be so worried and helpless in a situation like this. Sounds like your vet is good and caring and will do everything necessary to figure things out. Everyone's prayers are with you and Frank, and have a couple of drinks to settle yourself, as you getting sick won't do little Frank a bit of good. Hoping very hard that you hear some good news!

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I called and they said 'she's working on him right now'

can't handle this!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
phew!!! Just got off the 30 minute phone call with the vet. she is really so incredibly great. I feel so good with frank being there with her, and i haven't even met her in person yet, only my boyfriend has. I feel like I want to hug her!

she said he has livened up today. the ultrasound still shows a really thick stomach lining but she's confident that there are no foreign bodies in there. she's now concerned with his intestines. there is apparently a pocket of fluid in there that is not moving through. it seems his intestines aren't functioning properly, so she is probably going to give him something to get that going. if things get worse tonight/tomorrow, we're doing the barium swallow. I trust her that there isn't anything in the stomach, I read online that she is one of the top in her field of ultrasound diagnostics. but still, I've brought up the dang barium swallow so much... she's agreed to it if things don't continue to improve!

also, they gave him a beef baby food, and he gobbled it up, she said it was like he couldn't get to it fast enough. they're now waiting to see if he has a diarrhea bm or a semi normal one. they've been taking him out every 20 minutes to see if he'll go. she also wants to us to give him pepcid 2x a day when he comes home.

she wants to keep him overnight again just to make sure things keep moving forward. seems like we're out of the woods but she wants to be sure. she said yesterday he was just curled up in the corner, and today he's up, alert, putting his paw up on the cage door looking at people to pay attention to him, and really interested in the cats he's been seeing.

I questioned why this happened and what could've brought it on and she said she's not sure. it seemed like he was doing so great on the new food and then suddenly boom he's down. I want to ask more about if we should switch food? when we bring him home she wants us doing a bland diet for a while of baby food of beef, veal, sweet potatoes, ect. she said even the boiled hamburger can have too much fat in it.

she also said his heart looks just fine. spleen is large but she has no answer for that. might just be his body is working hard to right what's going on.

I haven't even eaten today... I have such a headache. This is why I cannot have children!!! imagine this type of anxiety with a human baby, oh lord have mercy.

thank you so much everyone for being here throughout this and reading every little rant and rave I've had. you all have been SUCH a great support system for me.

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
my big question is why. why did this happen? that day was a normal day. and it's just concerning that he got so bad so fast. we switched his food over 3 weeks ago and he was doing GREAT on that. his skin was totally cleared of the pustules he had been having on chicken food.

Still need more answers. but just glad he's *slowly* improving. I don't want to get ahead of myself. I know things can still turn around.

would a dog react like that to dairy? I had been giving him a small spoonful of yogurt every night. and the day before was the day he has his puppy latte (whipped cream) from starbucks. HMM

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
This is GOOD news for now.... I'm happy his heart is okay. That was worrisome. Also glad that he's a little more active today! I feel like he will be just fine, I wonder what the heck happened though. Such mysteries these guys. Tyson is also on Pepcid, and will be forever prob. When she was referring to his intestines not functioning, did she say there weren't contracting normally?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Just read this - glad to see that Frank is doing better now. Best wishes from us.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Glad that there is a bit of good news about Frank. Such a nerve-wracking ordeal when our babies are so sick. Sending positive thoughts that it gets figured out and Frank continues to improve!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so glad to hear that Frank is improving… your vet sounds wonderful. You know w/these guys it could be anything… so hard to predict how this kind of thing starts. I would say whenever you start him back on regular food go VERY slow, especially w/the dairy products. That way you will know exactly what he is having a reaction to.

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
This is GOOD news for now.... I'm happy his heart is okay. That was worrisome. Also glad that he's a little more active today! I feel like he will be just fine, I wonder what the heck happened though. Such mysteries these guys. Tyson is also on Pepcid, and will be forever prob. When she was referring to his intestines not functioning, did she say there weren't contracting normally?

i am kicking myself because I ran out of my office to talk with her outside. I was afraid I would have a breakdown and didn't think it was appropriate for the office. In my haste I forgot to bring a pad to write everything down that she said. So I came back in and immediately wrote everything I remembered in an email to my bf. Unfortunately some of it was still lost.

Anyway, I can't be for certain what she said about his intestines. She is supposed to call me back tonight after she's done some more research and consulted with the other vets. I would love to know any answers to this big mystery!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I totally understand - and have been there - AND also have completely lost it in my office. I'm blessed that all my co-workers are animal lovers as well. Keeping Frank in our prayers so he can get home soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So happy your boy is coming along and you have s concerned vet working with you --- sending lots of hugs

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Praying for your Special Boy Frank to make a Speedy Recovery. So Wonderful you have a Great Vet for Sweet Frank. I cannot wait for your posts to read about how Frank is doing.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Wonderful to hear Frank is doing so much better and your Vet is on it!

The detailed updates will help others here, thank you, continued prayers
the WHY will be answered and Frank is home, asap.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.