TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
The ER vet we took him too insisted rather firmly that he had nothing in his stomach. We paid extra to have the X-rays looked at by a radiologist- even those reported back "all normal" there were 3 socks in there!! We had no clue. Until he vomited first one, then second one, then he STILL wasn't getting better - so barium was done. You know the rest. He had the socks in him for nearly over a month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thank you!!!! I keep trying to tell my boyfriend that but I don't think it's getting through. I just sent him your exact quote. I will discuss all of this with the vet when she calls me - (not our normal vet at the practice... having to deal with someone new) sigh.

:hug: I would be pushing for the barium, even if it does just confirm there is nothing there

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
Thinking of Frank and hoping you get the answers you need to get him healthy. So sorry your going through this. I know how scary it is when you know something is wrong.

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
just got off the phone with the vet. turns out the emergency vet we took him to on friday TOTALLY missed several concerning things on his Xray. they said the wall of his stomach is so incredibly thick, sheā€™s never seen anything like it. his spleen is also enlarged. she also said his heart is a bit rounded - which, no one wants to hear, does anyone have any more info on this? She said it could just be the fact that he is a bulldog, but it also has me incredibly concerned.

for the issue at hand - they are keeping him overnight. she is giving him fluids through an iv and he will be monitored. they are going to withhold food for at least 24 hours, she said sometimes they just need some time for the stomach to reset instead of throwing a bunch of medication at the problem hoping it will go away. she will also be giving him an ultrasound at noon tomorrow. I told her the whole story about how ā€˜my friendā€™s dog swallowed 3 socks and one stuck to the wall of his stomachā€™ and she agreed that that was absolutely a possibility and hopefully the ultrasound will give us more of an answer. we have come home once or twice to frank in a sea of white fabric because he would rip apart his beds. itā€™s very possible he couldā€™ve swallowed some of that stuffing and itā€™s been sitting in there.

I am very happy with this vet, she spent about 30 minutes on the phone with me totally going over everything possible. she really put me at ease (as much as I can be right now) at least I know heā€™s in great hands now in this total nightmare.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
It sounds like this vet has a much better handle on what the various problems could be. Keep your chin up and know that everyone is pulling for a good outcome for Frank, bless him.

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
my boyfriend wants to call the emergency vet and question why they missed so much stuff on his initial x-ray 4 days ago. would this do any good? would they refund us?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
my boyfriend wants to call the emergency vet and question why they missed so much stuff on his initial x-ray 4 days ago. would this do any good? would they refund us?

no, they would just apologize.... you can let them know, as a hey, you need to know you missed this, but nothing will come back to you.

I so hope he is feeling better and sleeping ... this is a 24/7 hospital, right?

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
It probably couldn't hurt. You paid for a service and they didn't do a very good job and should be held accountable or at least questioned as to why they missed so much.

It sounds like Frank is in good, caring hands with this vet and I hope that it gets figured out soon so Frank is on his way to getting better.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sounds like he is in good hands now. Sending positive and healing thoughts....I would wait until full diagnonis before contacting the er vet.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
just got off the phone with the vet. turns out the emergency vet we took him to on friday TOTALLY missed several concerning things on his Xray. they said the wall of his stomach is so incredibly thick, sheā€™s never seen anything like it. his spleen is also enlarged. she also said his heart is a bit rounded - which, no one wants to hear, does anyone have any more info on this? She said it could just be the fact that he is a bulldog, but it also has me incredibly concerned.

for the issue at hand - they are keeping him overnight. she is giving him fluids through an iv and he will be monitored. they are going to withhold food for at least 24 hours, she said sometimes they just need some time for the stomach to reset instead of throwing a bunch of medication at the problem hoping it will go away. she will also be giving him an ultrasound at noon tomorrow. I told her the whole story about how ā€˜my friendā€™s dog swallowed 3 socks and one stuck to the wall of his stomachā€™ and she agreed that that was absolutely a possibility and hopefully the ultrasound will give us more of an answer. we have come home once or twice to frank in a sea of white fabric because he would rip apart his beds. itā€™s very possible he couldā€™ve swallowed some of that stuffing and itā€™s been sitting in there.

I am very happy with this vet, she spent about 30 minutes on the phone with me totally going over everything possible. she really put me at ease (as much as I can be right now) at least I know heā€™s in great hands now in this total nightmare.

Okay, at least now we're getting somewhere - I'm glad they finally see something. Tyson's stomach was also very thick, and inflamed... due to the socks. It also was not contracting correctly, so they had to give him meds to help it start to contract & move normally. He was full of acid & gas.... just think of all the acid his body produced in efforts to try & break down the socks. The IV fluids are very good for him. Ultrasound will be helpful for his spleen & heart, but chances of it catching something like fabric are slim - it will need to barium for that. The barium will also help coat his stomach & relax it a bit. Tyson's stomach will never be the same after this whole ordeal. He now needs Pepcid everyday, due to acid reflux, and he's more sensitive to things.
I'm glad this vet has finally taken charge & sounds very helpful. Calling the ER vet will get you no where, they won't refund anything. We called to let the ER vet know what they had missed, and the radiologist, they all just said "nothing is 100%" -- I hope the rest & fluids will help things settle down. Wish I was a little more helpful with the spleen/heart part. Please keep us posted!!! Prayers for Frank, just want him to get well soon! We're all here for support!

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
if the ultrasound doesn't bring up anything, the vet said barium will be the next step. I'd never thought I'd get to the point of praying for them to find something wrong, but I just want answers.

the techs stay until 11pm. a tech also lives on the premises and a doctor on call lives just down the road. I am very hopeful.

thank you so much everyone for the continued support. you are keeping me sane!! and thank you @TyTysmom especially for sharing your experience which has really pushed me to treat this as a more serious matter than everyone else in my life was. I'm glad this vet is finally recognizing just how sick frank really is.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
if the ultrasound doesn't bring up anything, the vet said barium will be the next step. I'd never thought I'd get to the point of praying for them to find something wrong, but I just want answers.

the techs stay until 11pm. a tech also lives on the premises and a doctor on call lives just down the road. I am very hopeful.

thank you so much everyone for the continued support. you are keeping me sane!! and thank you @TyTysmom especially for sharing your experience which has really pushed me to treat this as a more serious matter than everyone else in my life was. I'm glad this vet is finally recognizing just how sick frank really is.

Stay as calm a possible, you need to be clear & ready for whatever the next step is to get him better. I know its so much easier said than done, bc I was a total nut case during it all. Just remember no one knows your dog better than you, and this is why sometimes we have to push the vet to do things, they don't see right off hand. With animals, especially bullies, things happen quickly, so its best to tackle it full force & get down to the problem to be able to treat it. We went from knowing nothing one day, to surgery 2 days later. It all happened so fast, but it was fully necessary, and I'd do anything for him, like I know you would for Frank.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm just glad to hear that this vet is finally taking the situation seriously, and I agree Thank God for other shared stories about bullies and their obstructions [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION]

I really HOPE that you get some answers soon about poor Frank :hug:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online