TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes, at this point - barium. It's not painful to them, they just swallow the barium, it's more annoying maybe Bc they will X-ray him every hour or so... You'll have to leave him there. They follow the barium to make sure it's moving through his belly & intestines & then out. Don't freak when you see him poop the barium, lol it's a good sign if he does - means he's not fully obstructed. Prayers to you!! You can pm me if you have any other questions about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Just woke up to him having awful diarrhea inside his crate. Should I still do the barium swallow even though he is passing stool? I'm calling the vet as soon as they open this morning. Just not sure what they're going to be able to tell me. I definitely want to ask about the barium swallow and getting bloodwork done.

I feel like I need to stop attempting to feed him, feeding him all these different things is probably adding to the upset stomach.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm so sorry I am just seeing This now. I am on vacation and not visiting regularly. I would insist on a swallow to rule out obstruction. it is too long now that he is having eating and tummy issues. I will check back tonight to see an update. I will be praying for little frank.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just woke up to him having awful diarrhea inside his crate. Should I still do the barium swallow even though he is passing stool? I'm calling the vet as soon as they open this morning. Just not sure what they're going to be able to tell me. I definitely want to ask about the barium swallow and getting bloodwork done.

I feel like I need to stop attempting to feed him, feeding him all these different things is probably adding to the upset stomach.

as Rosalie stated, too long for a belly issue, something issue going on. sending lots of hugs and prayers

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Sitting at our vet waiting for them to open the doors...

Tdmsu

Mar 4, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
Best wishes for his recovery! I hope he feels better soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would insist on a barium at this point… have they not done blood work yet?!! They NEED to do a full blood panel on him to see what's going on IMO… this could indicate a virus or something else. I know this must be very scary and frustrating for you… sending prayers, and keep us posted!!!

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
They are doing bloodwork on him and I asked for a barium swallow several times. I'm kind of mad my bf didn't insist on bloodwork yesterday but sometimes mom needs to take charge I guess. My boyfriend will be there with him at 9:30 for another visit with the vet. They are monitoring him now... I'm so glad I didn't have to leave him alone this morning. Usually someone is home with him but it just so happens my boyfriend had to work last night.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
They are doing bloodwork on him and I asked for a barium swallow several times. I'm kind of mad my bf didn't insist on bloodwork yesterday but sometimes mom needs to take charge I guess. My boyfriend will be there with him at 9:30 for another visit with the vet. They are monitoring him now... I'm so glad I didn't have to leave him alone this morning. Usually someone is home with him but it just so happens my boyfriend had to work last night.

I have been in that position, and to be honest it's hard to remember EVERYTHING that should be done when your baby is sick and you're upset. That is why we go to so-called professionals (vets) who are supposed to know exactly what NEEDS to be done w/out you having to tell them what their job is… this frustrates me to NO END!!!

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
okay - just got this email from bf "Blood work looked fine, his cell count is good. They’re going to hydrate him and keep him for a day. She is going to call you in a couple hours to fill you in with everything. She wants to x ray his chest in order to rule that out."

I asked 'why no barium swallow' he said. 'he's not blocked, if he's having diarrhea then he's not blocked'. per the vet.

i am SO. FRUSTRATED!!!

should I still push for barium swallow?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
okay - just got this email from bf "Blood work looked fine, his cell count is good. They’re going to hydrate him and keep him for a day. She is going to call you in a couple hours to fill you in with everything. She wants to x ray his chest in order to rule that out."

I asked 'why no barium swallow' he said. 'he's not blocked, if he's having diarrhea then he's not blocked'. per the vet.

i am SO. FRUSTRATED!!!

should I still push for barium swallow?

Totally up to you honestly. I can tell you that based on my personal experience, Tyson was also pooping & peeing fine. While he wasn't "blocked" per say, he still had eaten socks, which were floating around in his stomach, causing the vomiting, not eating, lethargy, etc - They never made their way to his intestines to become blocked, but the very last sock adhered to his stomach. It was completely stuck to his stomach. Had we not found it with the barium, and had it surgically removed, he would have become septic & it could have killed him. They had to literally peel the sock off his stomach!!! Me, personally, I'd push barium 100% just to have pure clear conscious regarding something being in his belly or not. If it comes back clear, he'll poop it all out, and at least you'll have that to rule out.

I should also mention that every other single test they did on him was perfectly normal. They tested him for EVERYTHING, and nothing came back with anything. Blood, cell, cancer, all his organs, multiple xrays, multiple ultrasounds, etc. Nothing picked up any of the socks. Until the barium... which highlighted it in his tummy.

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
thank you!!!! I keep trying to tell my boyfriend that but I don't think it's getting through. I just sent him your exact quote. I will discuss all of this with the vet when she calls me - (not our normal vet at the practice... having to deal with someone new) sigh.

Members online

No members online now.