Labored Breathing - Need Assistance

B

Baxter Tiberius

Hi everyone -

Picked baxter up from daycare today and he was breathing like his throat was closing on him. They were just like "oh he needs water" but he sounded almost like a honking horn when he was trying to inhale. Scared the daylights out of me. Got him home and its been an hour or two - he's still having breathing issues.

Its not gurgling (like you'd hear with too much phlegm). It honestly sounds like the airway is constricted.

Is benadryl for that?

Otherwise what should I do? Even though he's not panting anymore he's having a hard time inhaling.

Thanks

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
I personally would take him to the vet. Anything with difficulty breathing scares me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

He's mostly okay sitting up. Breathes fine. But he can't lay down because it is too tight I think. Constricted. Sounds tight and clogged. So he gets up again and sits upright where he can breathe okay. Repeat. Repeat.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I don't want to scare you, but Wellie did that when he had Aspiration/Pneumonia. He couldn't breath well lying down so he'd constantly sit up. I'm not saying it's his lungs, but I think it's serious enough
to get him to a vet.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
try to put lemon juice in water, more lemon juice than water though. if it is phlem, the lemon juice will break it up. they didnt have him restained at all did they? I would call the vet

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Yes, I agree. I honestly would rush him to the vet a.s.a.p. It could be a number of medical reasons, such as pneumonia and having fluid in the lungs. Please keep up posted.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola wouldn't calm down one day, her elongated palate was causing her throat to shut....labored and phlegm breathing. I'd take him to the vet, but in the case that you cannot, we were able to calm Lola down Finally by using eucalyptus oil in boiling water and having her breath the fumes. I know that's what saved her that day. We then got her palate shortened. Key is to keep as calm as possible, calming the bully down will help.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I would go to the vet if unable at least give them a ring
Sending prayers all is ok with Baxter, keep us updated

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He's mostly okay sitting up. Breathes fine. But he can't lay down because it is too tight I think. Constricted. Sounds tight and clogged. So he gets up again and sits upright where he can breathe okay. Repeat. Repeat.

Seems he is in some type of pain/discomfort... i would be at the vet...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
IMO if he's having trouble breathing then he needs to be at the vet ASAP!!! This is an emergency…

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

I'm so livid right now. I have a long history dealing with doctors who refuse diagnosting testing when "they dont think" its needed. My mother died when a doctor stupidly sent her home, saying she was "fine". And I have my own mystery illness going on 4 years that has elicited arrogant, rude, misinformed responses from countless doctors. It seems to be their standard fare when they don't know whats wrong. Easier than admitting they don't know I guess.

So Ill preface this by saying that I was the wrong person to put in this position.

After an hour driving to the only open place in town, I bring baxter in, and he's doing his typical happy go lucky romping around the front lobby. When he gets a little hyped up, you can hear his throat vibrating as he's trying to inhale and its tighter than normal. Its obvious. But he's an english bulldog, and your typical idiot wont know that they don't always sound like slobbering pigs.

Plus, I know my dog.

We get put into a room, and some nurse walks in. She's only supposed to check us in. First words out of her mouth: "Uhhh what is he even here for?"

I go: "excuse me?"

Her: "Why's he here?"

Me: He's having breathing problems.

Her: He seems fine to me.

Me: (about 400 expletives that didnt come out of my mouth) When he got back from daycare today he could barely breath. Its gotten better but hours later, he still couldn't lay down and breathe well.

Her: Has anyone told you about soft pallet and snub nosed dogs?

Me: .... Yes. But that has nothing to do with this. This is an acute event. I know how he normally breathes. It was after daycare.

Her: The problem is that he's a snub nosed dog.

Me: (visibly irritated at this point). No. That is not the problem. Are you telling me that Im making this up?

Her: No im not saying you're making it up, but he looks completely fine now. Obviously its resolved.

Me: (getting angry) Did you hear him in the lobby for the last 15 minutes gurgling for air?

Her: No, but he clearly is fine now

Me: (boxing gloves come out) Listen: He's having problems breathing. Its obvious to me his airway is constricted. This is probably due to excessive play today and breathing heavy. It most likely created an inflammatory reaction that resulted in his airway thickening and closing up. What he needs right now is most likely some prednisone or some other anti inflammatory to calm the airways and help him breathe more clearly.

Her: Well I can tell you right now he's not going to get treatment for that because he looks fine.

-------------
At this point everything was a blur. That was the last straw for me. I stood up and told her I was not going to be called a liar. And who the hell was she to be making an assessment of my dogs health from 10 feet away? I stormed out of the room with Baxter, into the lobby. She followed, and I said "I seriously can't believe this. Are you kidding me? You're not going to treat him? What the hell does that mean?" I didn't hear her response, but everyone was looking. Mind you - "mama bear" was coming out at this point. I was only acting this way because I knew something was wrong, and some intern nurse just told me they wont even check.

We left.

I can not even explain how pissed off I am. Primarily because, as I said, the last 4 years of my life have been putting up with this kind of arrogant, uninformed nonsense from medical professionals. The icing on the cake was to get it from a check-in nurse who wasnt even a doctor. There was no exam. There was no checking anything. It was 5 seconds in the room, standing 10 feet away, and I'm being told he's fine, and ... oh by the way ... hes not getting treated.

Needless to say I am going to make sure her boss knows about this. She broke so many rules that even I know she has. I called back and was still extremely angry .... left a message for the hospital owner to call me back.

We are now home and baxter is still having a very hard time with the breathing but ... only when he tries to sleep. Had she even taken 10 seconds to listen to his lungs they would have seen the problem. Oh wait, she isn't even qualified to have a stethoscope. She's not the doctor.

Im going to try giving him some Benadryl. But I worry that it will sedate him and his breathing will be even worse.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
OMG...I can't even type right now but I'm glad it wasn't me there,
I'd be in jail, I'm almost sure, she deserves to be FIRED, asap!
So many issues that aren't readily apparent by looking at the pet.
She obviously thinks SHE is GOD and knows all...she needs an ***
WHOOPIN' too.

Smart of you to leave however poor Baxter is still distressed. Please
let us know what your regular Vet says as I wouldn't let this place ssee
my pet rock or my chia pet either. I'd also lodge a formal complaint w/
regulatory agency and online too. Prayers for Baxter & hugs for you, Kevin.

I have autoimmune diseases that only got dx'ed 8 years ago but ill for 25
years so I know all about the medical crappy system & arrogant asses called
doctors, drugs they push on you that do nothing or make you sicker still. I've
helped myself much more than they've helped me.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION]

Yep. All indications are autoimmune for me too. So you know *exactly* what I'm talking about. The years and years of nonspecific symptoms, followed by "normal" test results ... and the clueless yet confident Doctor calling you a hypochondriac because he can't figure out what's wrong. I've had enough of it, and am a firecracker waiting to go off when I see doctors these days. Its funny because in public I am never EVERRRRRRR confrontational. Its embarrassing. Shameful. Low class. But tonight ... it wasn't about me. It was about Baxter. So I didn't keep my thoughts to myself.

Im sure he'll be fine. But the fact is, she didn't know that.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Can you put him in steam or something to help him breathe better? I'm so worried about Baxter.

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Poor guy and WTH was that nurse thinking?! Breathing problems should always be taken seriously. DUH! Ugh, I hope she finds another job. She has no business working with animals.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online